Author Topic: The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread  (Read 87438 times)

Offline bioluminescentsquid

Re: The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread
« Reply #660 on: May 26, 2018, 07:55:33 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxaJMSAZfcM

Just found out that Piet Kee died yesterday...

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #661 on: June 08, 2018, 10:02:39 PM »

I've been playing this for a few days and I'm not sure what to make of it. The organ is characterful, but somehow it sounds like I'm in one room and the organ's playing in another. It's also the sort of dusky french character which I'm not used to hearing in Muffat. The interpretations are on the slow side, and I have the impression that it's more a matter of some fabulous moments than of coherent and integrated pieces -- but that's often the case with toccatas. I also have the impression that this is the sort of recording which will grow on you, rather than knock you out on first listening, but I could be wrong about that. Anyway worth having for me given the paucity of interesting recordings of these pieces.

Here's the organ specification -- what sort of temperament is that?

The CD is unobtainable if you don't know how to get it, amazon and Fnac didn't work.  As far as I can see the only way is to order it is from here

http://www.cddiffusion.fr/catalogue/fiche.php?SID=fTrbqiGd&tc=2&CID=6641

They take a card, they are very quick to send out the order, they are good to deal with.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #662 on: June 16, 2018, 12:02:36 PM »
Here’s something that sounds nice by a composer I know nothing about, Samuel Marckfelner

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/Lvw_TalxJSs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/Lvw_TalxJSs</a>

Offline Elk

« Reply #663 on: June 17, 2018, 04:42:50 PM »
Many pages ago, a writer asked whether a sub-woofer were necessary for the playback of organ music, and another answered no, to which the first replied that that saved him a lot of coin.

Having read these pages on organ music at least twice, I note that many, if not most, of you are concert goers (I’m envious of all the instruments you have had the opportunity to hear and the scope of you musical knowledge of the organ repertoire). That being the case, those lovely, deep tones from the open Cs up from 16’ pipes must be missed when playing CDs on most speaker systems. Granted, the majority of the music is within the capabilities of those speakers, but the authority of deep pedals is glorious, and I would not willingly be without them and am fortunate to have subs able to produce lows to the E below.

I hope this doesn't sound peevish. It is merely a preference I am willing to afford for the sake of my pleasure.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #664 on: June 17, 2018, 08:01:27 PM »
Many pages ago, a writer asked whether a sub-woofer were necessary for the playback of organ music, and another answered no, to which the first replied that that saved him a lot of coin.

Having read these pages on organ music at least twice, I note that many, if not most, of you are concert goers (I’m envious of all the instruments you have had the opportunity to hear and the scope of you musical knowledge of the organ repertoire). That being the case, those lovely, deep tones from the open Cs up from 16’ pipes must be missed when playing CDs on most speaker systems. Granted, the majority of the music is within the capabilities of those speakers, but the authority of deep pedals is glorious, and I would not willingly be without them and am fortunate to have subs able to produce lows to the E below.

I hope this doesn't sound peevish. It is merely a preference I am willing to afford for the sake of my pleasure.

I’d be curious, elk, if your subwoofer makes the sound of the Leipzig Chorales on this recording acceptable, I find it painful on my ESLs and Gradients. I’m not sure if I just have a duff disc, or whether it’s a badly engineered recording or what. Generally I can enjoy recordings on the Groningen Schnitger, it’s maybe that Nordstoga is unusually fond of the 32’ stop.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:14:40 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #665 on: June 17, 2018, 08:27:57 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxaJMSAZfcM

Just found out that Piet Kee died yesterday...

Yes. I saw the announcement in the newspapers.
Never heard him life, but his recordings are very worthwhile. He was also a knowledgeable scholar (Bach/Buxtehude) and a well-known composer in NL (though less than his father Cor Kee).
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #666 on: June 17, 2018, 08:34:23 PM »

Why should it sound peevish?
It's great to enjoy music the way you prefer it.

Personally, I have thought of buying one, but since I live in a rather noisy flat appartment I've decided to spare my neighbours the E below. ;)
In general: I'm able to accept lesser circumstances when listening to music. It makes the live concerts even more festive and enjoyable. :)
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link