Author Topic: George Lloyd  (Read 28594 times)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
Re: George Lloyd
« Reply #260 on: December 13, 2018, 08:31:04 AM »
Yes! The Symphonic Mass is amazing! It's either that or the 12th Symphony that currently stands as my favourite Lloyd work.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #261 on: December 15, 2018, 01:13:15 PM »
I share your connection to this composer and your namesake.  I feel George Lloyd is sort of like the Kurt Atterberg of Britain.  Sort of a very fine composer who is marginalized because of his traditional idiom.   But the music is complex hiding behind tradition.  Yes, he didn't revolutionize composition the way Beethoven, Debussy, Stravinsky might have but there are VERY many great composers who are individualistic rather than revolutionary!

Your Atterberg comparison is very apt. I love the music of the so-called 20th century "reactionaries" such as Lloyd, Atterberg, Braga Santos, Hanson, Alwyn, Damase, etc. who composed fully tonal, lushly melodic music well into the mid-to-late 20th century when serialism and other avant-gardisms were all the rage. I feel that they have been severely shortchanged in the classical music world simply because of their conservative idioms, which is a shame, as their music has such great appeal and would bring down the house in concert if only given the chance!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2018, 01:15:52 PM »
Quite interesting! I like the majority of his symphonies and concertos, so this will be on my listening way.

I'm sure both you and Jeffrey would like A Symphonic Mass very much as well! :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #263 on: February 16, 2019, 01:27:27 AM »
Just a little thread bump to add my appreciation of his symphonies 6 & 7 (the Lyrita  Downes CD) I have recently discovered thanks to the discussions here.

I have now consequently ordered the 4/5/8 on Lyrita as well  ;D

For the remaining symphonies (in case 4/5/8 convince me further), I saw some of them are well priced on the George Lloyd society website. Is the shop on this site still active/reliable, would you know please ? Thanks.

Olivier

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #264 on: February 16, 2019, 12:09:28 PM »
Just a little thread bump to add my appreciation of his symphonies 6 & 7 (the Lyrita  Downes CD) I have recently discovered thanks to the discussions here.

I have now consequently ordered the 4/5/8 on Lyrita as well  ;D

For the remaining symphonies (in case 4/5/8 convince me further), I saw some of them are well priced on the George Lloyd society website. Is the shop on this site still active/reliable, would you know please ? Thanks.

Olivier - I've just checked the George Lloyd Society website and as far as I can tell it looks up and running. That Lyrita set is terrific. I rated Edward Downes as a great conductor and the performance of Symphony 4 is better than the composer's own version - good as that is.
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #265 on: Today at 10:15:07 AM »
Olivier - I've just checked the George Lloyd Society website and as far as I can tell it looks up and running. That Lyrita set is terrific. I rated Edward Downes as a great conductor and the performance of Symphony 4 is better than the composer's own version - good as that is.
Jeffrey

Thank you Jeffrey. I might give it a go if/when i feel like exploring beyond the 4/5/6/7/8... although there are already some cheap used copies on AMZ of the 3/10/symphonic Mass...tempting...  0:)
Olivier

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #266 on: Today at 10:37:39 AM »
I'm sure both you and Jeffrey would like A Symphonic Mass very much as well! :)

I listened to it the other day Kyle and really enjoyed it. I hadn't really appreciated it before.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #267 on: Today at 11:45:26 AM »
I listened to it the other day Kyle and really enjoyed it. I hadn't really appreciated it before.

Great to hear! :)

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.