Author Topic: Dmitri's Dacha  (Read 209742 times)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
Re: Dmitri's Dacha
« Reply #1860 on: Today at 01:52:07 PM »
I just heard DSCH's orchestration of Tahiti Trot today. Pretty amazing stuff that he orchestrated the thing in about 45 minutes and it is just SO Shostakovich like: the piccolo, e-flat clarinet, xylophone, muted trumpet all having a grand old time.

Yes! It's great. Not sure which performance you heard, but Chailly's Jazz Album includes the Tahiti Trot, and the rest of the album is full of DSCH's colorful instrumentation.

Just purchased this live performance from Mravinsky/Leningrad Phil of the 10th Symphony. Anyone familiar with it?

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #1861 on: Today at 04:51:33 PM »
Yes! It's great. Not sure which performance you heard, but Chailly's Jazz Album includes the Tahiti Trot, and the rest of the album is full of DSCH's colorful instrumentation.
I forgot the performers unfortunately.

I thought the announcer mentioned the Moscow Chamber Players but I can find it on Google right now.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1862 on: Today at 09:41:07 PM »

Just purchased this live performance from Mravinsky/Leningrad Phil of the 10th Symphony. Anyone familiar with it?

Yes, although haven't heard it for a while. I recall it as a fine performance as is usually the case with Mravinsky.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).