Author Topic: Haydn's Haus  (Read 691712 times)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Haydn's Haus
« Reply #11620 on: November 13, 2017, 06:26:37 PM »
My copy arrived today. Listened already. Quite good. The Kraus was selected because (among other things) FJH called it a masterpiece.

Kraus comes to visit

Kraus was sent by his King on a trip of Europe to broaden his horizons, so to speak. He had taken his symphony in c# minor and transposed it down to c minor to have something to play on his travels. He also left out the minuet, for whatever reason. Anyway, he spent a lot of time at Eszterháza with Haydn, and left a copy of the symphony as a gift for the Prince. It's a first rate work. I have the Concerto Köln recording, I look forward to hearing this one. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #11621 on: November 13, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
Kraus comes to visit

Kraus was sent by his King on a trip of Europe to broaden his horizons, so to speak. He had taken his symphony in c# minor and transposed it down to c minor to have something to play on his travels. He also left out the minuet, for whatever reason. Anyway, he spent a lot of time at Eszterháza with Haydn, and left a copy of the symphony as a gift for the Prince. It's a first rate work. I have the Concerto Köln recording, I look forward to hearing this one. :)

8)

The liner notes don't refer to the minuet, but do refer to an extended quote from Gluck.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11622 on: November 13, 2017, 06:39:45 PM »
The liner notes don't refer to the minuet, but do refer to an extended quote from Gluck.

They probably would have only mentioned it if they had left it out, too. :)  IIRC, Gluck said some nice stuff about Kraus, as well he should have. If Kraus had been in Vienna instead of Stockholm, and hadn't died nearly as young as Mozart, he would have been a star instead of a footnote.  IMO, of course.

8)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #11623 on: November 14, 2017, 07:15:43 AM »
Kraus comes to visit

The old canard that Haydn had little or no involvement in anything but writing music is patently false

As in the case of Mozart too. I posted something along these very lines in Gurn's Classical Corner, but nobody cared to comment...
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'automne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11624 on: November 14, 2017, 07:35:43 AM »
As in the case of Mozart too. I posted something along these very lines in Gurn's Classical Corner, but nobody cared to comment...

And in Mozart's case, there is some documentation for it. I find it interesting that later historians would take Nannerl's word for it that Mozart would do some crazy shit, and was a bad money manager etc. etc., but when she says he was really fascinated with math and arithmetic in particular, or he knew a great variety of things outside of music, they totally ignored it because it didn't fit their preconceptions. Which were pretty much the same as Salieri's flashbacks in Amadeus.  When I get a bit further in my blog, I will publish a list of all the books in Haydn's library after his death. You will be taken aback.

8)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #11625 on: November 14, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »
When I get a bit further in my blog, I will publish a list of all the books in Haydn's library after his death. You will be taken aback.

No, I won't*, but others might very well be.  ;D

* I know for a fact and by personal research that Classical Era composers and musical aesthetics are oftenly and ideologically misconstrued and misunderstood...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:51:24 AM by Florestan »
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'automne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11626 on: November 14, 2017, 09:21:28 AM »
No, I won't*, but others might very well be.  ;D

* I know for a fact and by personal research that Classical Era composers and musical aesthetics are oftenly and ideologically misconstrued and misunderstood...

Yep. ;)

8)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11627 on: November 19, 2017, 06:57:50 PM »
We like to think we know all about Haydn's works, but most don't know anything about these. In fact, Haydn intended them to be one of his crown jewels, still...

We'll turn Vienna into Mini-London

Have a read,
Thanks,
8)

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #11628 on: November 19, 2017, 07:14:44 PM »
Do you have any idea how familiar Schubert and Brahms were with these works? They being the composers best known in our time for that genre...

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11629 on: November 19, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »
Do you have any idea how familiar Schubert and Brahms were with these works? They being the composers best known in our time for that genre...

Do I know specifically? No, but I'm sure the information is readily available. I would surmise that they were very familiar with them because they were truly popular among people who were into singing. It would be hard to imagine a circumstance by which they would have escaped attention, most especially the religious ones. Schubert would know them for sure, Brahms most likely.

8)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK