Author Topic: Haydn's Haus  (Read 740042 times)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
Re: Haydn's Haus
« Reply #11860 on: April 16, 2018, 07:47:40 AM »
You are, sometimes. :)

That's true, but --- I asked for the article, you published it. Why I would / could have been disagreeable in this context is beyond me.  :o
Chaque fleur s'évapore ainsi qu'un encensoir;
Le violon frémit comme un cœur qu'on afflige;
Valse mélancolique et langoureux vertige!
Le ciel est triste et beau comme un grand reposoir.

Online Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
  • If it sound good it is good.
« Reply #11861 on: April 16, 2018, 07:57:32 AM »
That's true, but --- I asked for the article, you published it. Why I would / could have been disagreeable in this context is beyond me.  :o

Why you are disagreeable in most of the contexts you are disagreeable in is beyond me.  :)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11862 on: April 16, 2018, 08:14:52 AM »

No, I just thought you would have more to say than that, like you agreed or disagreed with the concept, for example. Not that you were agreeable or disagreeable. Although you are unpredictable, which some would call a part of your charm.  0:)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #11863 on: April 16, 2018, 08:37:26 AM »
Why you are disagreeable in most of the contexts you are disagreeable in is beyond me.  :)

:laugh:

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #11864 on: April 16, 2018, 08:43:20 AM »
No, I just thought you would have more to say than that, like you agreed or disagreed with the concept, for example.

Oh, but I thought that the agreement was implicit in "excellent". Iirc, you covered the topic also in one of your blog installments. Your arguments are convincingly enough, at least to me --- this, and the fact that today my contrarian mode is set to "disactivate".   :)  :P

Not that you were agreeable or disagreeable. Although you are unpredictable, which some would call a part of your charm.  0:)

Flatterer!  :D

Online Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
  • If it sound good it is good.
« Reply #11865 on: April 16, 2018, 08:54:10 AM »
:laugh:

And now you're being agreeable. Go figure!  ;D

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #11866 on: April 16, 2018, 08:56:48 AM »
And now you're being agreeable. Go figure!  ;D

Nobody's perfect.  :P

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11867 on: April 16, 2018, 09:02:19 AM »
Nobody's perfect.  :P

Agreed. :D  Yes, a few of the parts were in various blog posts, since they stretched over time. There was also stuff I learned later on, too late to blog originally. The things about Shakespeare in 18th century Germany, for example. Some day I must go back and rewrite some of the early blog posts. I have gotten dozens of new books since I wrote those, and there is a lot I no longer need to infer. Soon enough, I suppose. I will retire in December and suddenly have more than enough time to do all these things. :)

8)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #11868 on: April 25, 2018, 05:40:45 AM »

#morninglistening to #Haydn #PianoSonatas w/#RudolfBuchbinder on @warnerclassics

: http://a-fwd.to/7zX4YeT

#Buchbinder needs to warm up over the first dozen sonatas, or so it seems, but then he is alive and wonderfully alert to these lightly magnificent works...

But it IS a real shame for those first twenty, lovelessly banged-out, quasi-sight-read sonatas.

The thing is, shining in the late sonats really isn't that difficult. One might just get the Brendel set for that, if wanting it on a modern instrument. So where does that put this set? Among the two exploratory sets, along with McCabe?

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #11869 on: April 25, 2018, 05:48:01 AM »
Oh, that is a shame.

A crying shame, we may even say.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11870 on: April 25, 2018, 07:03:20 AM »

#morninglistening to #Haydn #PianoSonatas w/#RudolfBuchbinder on @warnerclassics

#Buchbinder needs to warm up over the first dozen sonatas, or so it seems, but then he is alive and wonderfully alert to these lightly magnificent works...

But it IS a real shame for those first twenty, lovelessly banged-out, quasi-sight-read sonatas.

The thing is, shining in the late sonats really isn't that difficult. One might just get the Brendel set for that, if wanting it on a modern instrument. So where does that put this set? Among the two exploratory sets, along with McCabe?

I don't have a huge need for a new modern instruments version unless it is a big step above McCabe. Since it appears not to be, I guess I'll be happy with what I have now. Thanks for filling that gap for me though.

8)

Online George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #11871 on: April 25, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »

That set must sell well, this is the third or fourth time it has been released on CD. For modern piano and sound, it is my favorite set. Derzhavina is well ahead of him, but her set is plagued with digital pops and ticks.  :-[
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #11872 on: April 25, 2018, 05:59:45 PM »
I will retire in December and suddenly have more than enough time to do all these things. :)

8)

Hey, congratulations! My wife was able to retire this past December (though she immediately started another job - we're still years away from Social Security and Medicare eligibility) and it's been good for her. I'm sure the Haus will be even better when you're able to devote even more time to its upkeep. :) I've developed a real affinity for Haydn thanks to the Haus.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11873 on: April 25, 2018, 06:09:12 PM »
Hey, congratulations! My wife was able to retire this past December (though she immediately started another job - we're still years away from Social Security and Medicare eligibility) and it's been good for her. I'm sure the Haus will be even better when you're able to devote even more time to its upkeep. :) I've developed a real affinity for Haydn thanks to the Haus.

Thanks, I am delighted to hear that. For me, the more I've explored Haydn the more I've found to like.  You're supposed to get burned out, haven't seen that yet. :)

Retirement is certainly something to look forward to. People seem to think it means I won't have anything to do, but really, it is a chance to do those 10,000 things I've always put off over the years. Writing more and music are definitely on the list!

8)

Online San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #11874 on: April 25, 2018, 09:53:08 PM »
Thanks, I am delighted to hear that. For me, the more I've explored Haydn the more I've found to like.  You're supposed to get burned out, haven't seen that yet. :)

Retirement is certainly something to look forward to. People seem to think it means I won't have anything to do, but really, it is a chance to do those 10,000 things I've always put off over the years. Writing more and music are definitely on the list!

8)

We must be the same age, since retirement is also on my calendar this December.  Yeah - spending more time on music and writing are also in my plans.  And moving.  We're looking on Zillow for some place with 2+ acres and in a nice rural setting. 

Here's to us!

;)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #11875 on: April 25, 2018, 11:52:29 PM »
That set must sell well, this is the third or fourth time it has been released on CD. For modern piano and sound, it is my favorite set. Derzhavina is well ahead of him, but her set is plagued with digital pops and ticks.  :-[

Yes, at least the 4th time:

1997:

2007:

2011:

2017:

I think I might like Jeno Jando better, but I'll have to re-listen to him. Ditto Derzhavina, where I don't recall the digital pops just now.
Buchbinder is very good towards the established sonatas, but everything that was composed for the harpischord or is spurrious sounds like he just banged it out. Might be considered appropriate to go for zero dynamics with harpsichord music... but then why use the piano? Unfortunately my Schornsheim set is not with me, so I can't go back to that for the early sonatas.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11876 on: Today at 03:38:44 AM »
We must be the same age, since retirement is also on my calendar this December.  Yeah - spending more time on music and writing are also in my plans.  And moving.  We're looking on Zillow for some place with 2+ acres and in a nice rural setting. 

Here's to us!

;)

I hope you can find a place that's just what you want. I bought a piece of farmland when I was 35 and spent the next 20 years paying for it. Now, I really want to spend time looking at what it has to offer. Nature photography is another interest which is easily fulfilled when living in the country!  :)

Indeed; Skoal! Prosit! :D

8)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #11877 on: Today at 03:48:39 AM »
Volume 8 of Haydn 2032 will have the most eclectic coupling yet:

Haydn 43 "Mercury"
Haydn 28
Haydn 63 "Roxolana" (sic?)
Bartók Romanian Folk Dances

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #11878 on: Today at 04:05:42 AM »
Volume 8 of Haydn 2032 will have the most eclectic coupling yet:

Haydn 43 "Mercury"
Haydn 28
Haydn 63 "Roxolana" (sic?)
Bartók Romanian Folk Dances

Say whaaat?

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #11879 on: Today at 04:10:30 AM »
I hope you can find a place that's just what you want. I bought a piece of farmland when I was 35 and spent the next 20 years paying for it. Now, I really want to spend time looking at what it has to offer. Nature photography is another interest which is easily fulfilled when living in the country!  :)

Indeed; Skoal! Prosit! :D

8)

Huzzah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot