Author Topic: Haydn's Haus  (Read 764973 times)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Haydn's Haus
« Reply #11900 on: June 09, 2018, 04:38:27 PM »
Thank you for yet another article, equally delightful and informative. And hearty congratulations on the milestone!

Thank you kindly, Dr. H. I really do enjoy the chance to share the fruits of my research with others who love Haydn's music as much as I do. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #11901 on: June 10, 2018, 12:56:49 AM »
Well, he's right of course, but you knew that. Classic Era can be stretched to encompass Beethoven (big debate, not for here), but you gotta love a purist. My kind of guy! :)

There were some fine recordings in that era, as you see. Some of the issues that 'modern purists' would complain about is that they didn't have reliable scores to work from, only heavily edited scores from earlier times which had a lot of Haydn's own abrasiveness and dissonance removed, on the premise that "he certainly mustn't have meant that, must be a mistake. He's Papa Haydn..."  ::) And don't want to wear out the audience with repeats, they'll never know the difference. There were also quite some few who played Haydn like he was Tchaikovsky. Of course, they did the same to Mozart.  My own distaste for historic recordings usually has nothing at all to do with the musicians, who were normally quite as fine as any today. It is more what they inherited from the time leading up to them. :-\

That said, anyone who listens to Haydn in any form comes away from it better off for the experience. :)

8)

Thanks for the generous response.  It's too bad we can't sit down and listen to it :-\  You might still have reservations, but I don't think for the reasons you mentioned...
It's all good...

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11902 on: June 10, 2018, 05:02:16 AM »
  Thanks for the generous response.  It's too bad we can't sit down and listen to it :-\  You might still have reservations, but I don't think for the reasons you mentioned...

That would be most enjoyable, I'm sure. Always a pleasure to listen to Haydn. And just to show that I'm not rigid abut such things, I do have a Symphony #100 conducted by Hans Knappertsbusch.  :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106