Author Topic: Haydn's Haus  (Read 691240 times)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Haydn's Haus
« Reply #11600 on: November 10, 2017, 07:53:44 AM »
Yeah, I'm surprised they changed orchestras. My copy arrived today.

Sarge

According to the Haydn 2032 website, right from the beginning it was always the plan to use Armonico for the works needing a smaller orchestra and Basel for the later works with big band. #19 is an outlier in that scheme, being the actual #8 from ca 58-60 (in other words, it's a Morzin symphony, pre-Esterházy). I think Antonini (quite rightly) really likes to mix them up. But if they are only playing it with a smaller portion, should be OK. Haydn played it with ~12 plus himself...

I am also delighted to see another #80 (and 81), while it was a thrill to finally have A version, it is always nicer to have 2 or 3. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Online Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #11601 on: November 10, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »
According to the Haydn 2032 website, right from the beginning it was always the plan to use Armonico for the works needing a smaller orchestra and Basel for the later works with big band. #19 is an outlier in that scheme, being the actual #8 from ca 58-60 (in other words, it's a Morzin symphony, pre-Esterházy). I think Antonini (quite rightly) really likes to mix them up. But if they are only playing it with a smaller portion, should be OK. Haydn played it with ~12 plus himself...

Antonini uses a somewhat smaller orchestra in #19: 15 strings vs 20 strings in 80 and 81. It's not audibly different to my ears.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11602 on: November 10, 2017, 08:28:22 AM »
Antonini uses a somewhat smaller orchestra in #19: 15 strings vs 20 strings in 80 and 81. It's not audibly different to my ears.

Sarge

Thanks. I know I have read searing complaints about "tiny" orchestras and when I listened for myself I only heard the music. 15 would be generous compared to Hogwood or Goodman, I think. I need to check that out. Everybody uses more than Haydn did though. Not like he had a choice, but he did craft the music for the forces at hand. :)

8)

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #11603 on: November 10, 2017, 08:30:41 AM »
Haydn 2032. Are they kidding? Shouldn't they plan to finish it before the polar ice caps melt?

Online Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #11604 on: November 10, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
Haydn 2032. Are they kidding? Shouldn't they plan to finish it before the polar ice caps melt?

Long range optimism. But dragging it out that long is dangerous. I hope Antonini has better luck than Fey.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #11605 on: November 10, 2017, 08:50:10 AM »
Long range optimism. But dragging it out that long is dangerous. I hope Antonini has better luck than Fey.

Sarge

I hope I have better luck than Fey.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11606 on: November 10, 2017, 09:15:24 AM »

I've already planned to buy the last disk as an 80th birthday present to myself. I have it pre-ordered at Amazon... ::)

8)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11607 on: November 10, 2017, 09:16:20 AM »
I hope I have better luck than Fey.

No lie. Maybe they have a contingency plan. :-\

8)

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #11608 on: November 10, 2017, 04:54:13 PM »
I've already planned to buy the last disk as an 80th birthday present to myself. I have it pre-ordered at Amazon... ::)

8)

Hmm... the box set as a retirement gift?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11609 on: November 10, 2017, 04:57:33 PM »
Hmm... the box set as a retirement gift?

:D 

I would have liked that, but my retirement is firmly set for next December, and these guys just aren't going to make it. I know they are wanting to tour and perform all of these before they go on record, and really, that probably makes the playing that much better, but ~18 years really IS a long-term project. :-\

8)

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #11610 on: November 10, 2017, 05:55:58 PM »
No no, I meant MY retirement.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11611 on: November 10, 2017, 05:58:42 PM »
No no, I meant MY retirement.

Well, if I was shooting for 2032 for that, I can hardly think of a better self-gift. :)  I'm curious, do you think there will still be CD's or something along the lines of physical media by then? The concept of streaming a new release for my 80th birthday depresses the hell out of me... :-\

8)

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #11612 on: November 10, 2017, 08:11:08 PM »
I'm curious, do you think there will still be CD's or something along the lines of physical media by then?

There better bloody well be.

Anyway, I think total reliance on the streaming model is fundamentally unviable for most artists, at least as things stand. Streaming does not involve the selling of goods, only of a service, where your music just gets added to an ever-growing pile. Maybe CDs are on the way out, but I doubt having something for sale is on the way out. If I can't have CDs, I will still prefer FLAC or similar, something I can actually purchase.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11613 on: November 11, 2017, 07:27:08 AM »
There better bloody well be.

Anyway, I think total reliance on the streaming model is fundamentally unviable for most artists, at least as things stand. Streaming does not involve the selling of goods, only of a service, where your music just gets added to an ever-growing pile. Maybe CDs are on the way out, but I doubt having something for sale is on the way out. If I can't have CDs, I will still prefer FLAC or similar, something I can actually purchase.

I completely agree with that. It isn't the quality of the media that puts me off, it's the non-reality of it, I think. I like FLAC, I immediately copy every disk I buy to FLAC and it is what I usually listen to. But the key point is "every disk I buy". I want physical media, dammit.  >:(   

Oh well, maybe there will be a great replacement. If I had cornered the market on small capacity thumb drives, I would package disks on them, including PDF liner notes. I have seen drives with graphics on the case, so even that could be taken care of. Boy, what a nice idea that is. Keep it between us, don't tell anyone, OK?  :D

8)

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #11614 on: November 11, 2017, 07:33:21 AM »
I completely agree with that. It isn't the quality of the media that puts me off, it's the non-reality of it, I think. I like FLAC, I immediately copy every disk I buy to FLAC and it is what I usually listen to. But the key point is "every disk I buy". I want physical media, dammit.  >:(   

Oh well, maybe there will be a great replacement. If I had cornered the market on small capacity thumb drives, I would package disks on them, including PDF liner notes. I have seen drives with graphics on the case, so even that could be taken care of. Boy, what a nice idea that is. Keep it between us, don't tell anyone, OK?  :D

8)

Why is that better than an external hard drive?  I am copying every CD to FLAC and scanning the booklet to pdf. Every CD gets its own folder with FLAC files and booklet.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11615 on: November 11, 2017, 07:37:08 AM »
Why is that better than an external hard drive?  I am copying every CD to FLAC and scanning the booklet to pdf. Every CD gets its own folder with FLAC files and booklet.

I'm not talking about a storage solution, I'm talking about buying physical media in the post-CD age.  Of course, I copy every CD onto 2 of 3 external hard drives the day I receive it. But the CD itself is carefully preserved, and I by god own it. That is the point. I (and not just me) am not into downloading stuff. I don't want to own 100% of nothing. :)

8)

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #11616 on: November 11, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »
I'm not talking about a storage solution, I'm talking about buying physical media in the post-CD age.  Of course, I copy every CD onto 2 of 3 external hard drives the day I receive it. But the CD itself is carefully preserved, and I by god own it. That is the point. I (and not just me) am not into downloading stuff. I don't want to own 100% of nothing. :)

I felt that way too, but my attitude has evolved. In practice I still purchase discs because even if I just want a FLAC file a new or used copy is typically cheaper than a lossless download (when that is even available).

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #11617 on: November 11, 2017, 08:31:21 AM »
I felt that way too, but my attitude has evolved. In practice I still purchase discs because even if I just want a FLAC file a new or used copy is typically cheaper than a lossless download (when that is even available).

And maybe I will too, but so far it hasn't worked that way. I do buy downloads of things I am curious about but are outside of my main interests, but if it is within my scope, I will buy the disk even if I already have the download. As you say, used CD's are virtually being given away these days. "What, you giving that away? I'll take it..."  :)

8)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #11618 on: November 13, 2017, 01:35:17 PM »
Hurwitz saying on CT that the Fey cycle is not going to continue. Don't know if he is privy to info we don't have, or if he is guessing.

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #11619 on: November 13, 2017, 05:38:23 PM »
Vol 5 has been issued (80, 81, 19 and Krauss C minor). Just ordered it from Amazon DE

Sarge

My copy arrived today. Listened already. Quite good. The Kraus was selected because (among other things) FJH called it a masterpiece.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK