Author Topic: Pierre Boulez (1925-2016)  (Read 113624 times)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Pierre Boulez (1925-2016)
« Reply #1260 on: March 19, 2017, 09:32:17 PM »
Boulez seemed to be a very insecure composer. We all know he had a big mouth. If he claimed to be dissatisfied, it really ment that his own abilities to produce anything remarkable within it were lacking and the results were less than stellar. And he was seeing what an esteemed colleague of his was getting done within the medium and thinking out of slight jealously .. damn, I could have never come close to that and i tried, must withdraw ..

"Le tape c'est merde!"
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod nigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1261 on: March 20, 2017, 04:48:13 AM »
"Le tape c'est merde!"

Good insight!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. Franoise Gilot

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #1262 on: March 27, 2017, 01:56:40 AM »
More literature on/by Pierre Boulez coming to the market.

This book (of haphazard distribution, it seems) includes 30 years worth of interviews, collected by Bruno Serrou. It was released past february.

I've ordered it directly from the publishing house. Let's see what it contains.
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Muchacho, no te metas en dibujos, sino haz lo que ese seor te manda: sigue tu canto llano y no te metas en contrapuntos, que se suelen quebrar de sotiles".

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
    Lassus, Lassus, Gesualdo, Machaut, Ockeghem, Josquin, Bach, Webern, folk music, Beethoven chamber music, Jane's Addiction and Lassus
« Reply #1263 on: March 27, 2017, 02:10:25 AM »
Boulez seemed to be a very insecure composer. We all know he had a big mouth. If he claimed to be dissatisfied, it really ment that his own abilities to produce anything remarkable within it were lacking and the results were less than stellar. And he was seeing what an esteemed colleague of his was getting done within the medium and thinking out of slight jealously .. damn, I could have never come close to that and i tried, must withdraw ..

I disagree, from my observations, he was a composer who judged (or interpreted) the merit of the music he listened, studied and conducted in accordance with his own artistic vision and values.

As for tape/electronic music is particular, from what I remember; didn't he believe (like Ligeti) that electronics where still too adolescent to produce anything "long lasting"?  ::)
Coffee, Contemporary classical, Cheeseburger, Women, Lasagna, Cinema  8)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #1264 on: March 27, 2017, 02:37:38 AM »
I disagree, from my observations, he was a composer who judged (or interpreted) the merit of the music he listened, studied and conducted in accordance with his own artistic vision and values.

As for tape/electronic music is particular, from what I remember; didn't he believe (like Ligeti) that electronics where still too adolescent to produce anything "long lasting"?  ::)
I tend to agree with you, alien. Apart from the fact that these theories of "X was jealous of Y" (when we're talking, in this case, of two titanic figures of 20th century music) make little sense IMHO, Boulez himself (in an interview I read of his form the early 2000s) acknowledged Stockhausen's inventiveness (apart from having earlier saluted him as his only "peer" among living composers  ;D). When the interviewer expressed some surprise at that remark, Boulez added: "I said he was inventive, not that he was self-critical" (*). And that, I believe, is in essence the diffrence in the way those two men worked.

And yes, Boulez "gave up" on the use of tape in his compositions, but then the contribution he made to the use of real-time electronics (the IRCAM software that is so widespread these days) is immense, and he put it to stunning use in a work like Rpons (which really has to be experienced live to understand what it is all about).

(*) He then went one, in his usally humorous-malicious manner, to say that the only thing that could make the Helicopter SQ interesting was for "one of the helicpoiters to crash or something like that".  :laugh: 0:)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:13:12 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Muchacho, no te metas en dibujos, sino haz lo que ese seor te manda: sigue tu canto llano y no te metas en contrapuntos, que se suelen quebrar de sotiles".

Offline Joaquimhock

• My artistic website
    Kurtag - Ropartz - Enescu - Tournemire
« Reply #1265 on: April 10, 2017, 11:57:01 PM »
If you understand French you can listen to this interview of Boulez's nephew (and film producer) Pierre Chevalier who wrote a few interesting things about his uncle. For those who are fond of gossips you will even learn that Boulez and a very famous French/Spanish actress had a love affair in the 50' but that they split up because she wanted to make a "mnage trois" with..... Albert Camus but Boulez didn't want to...
Pierre Chevalier add too that despite what it has been said his uncle was not gay and had a "monastic" way of life.

They also speak of more musically oriented things :-)

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/classic-club/boulez-intime-33197
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:05:19 AM by Joaquimhock »
"Dans la vie il faut regarder par la fentre"

Offline Joaquimhock

• My artistic website
    Kurtag - Ropartz - Enescu - Tournemire
« Reply #1266 on: April 12, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »
The Quatuor Diotima in this interview, says that Boulez's Livre pour quatuor will be "finished" by Philippe Manoury, next year.... They say Boulez has gave them enough clues and advices to let someone else add the required details.... First time someone will touch the work of the master. Perhaps the same could be done with Notations.....?

http://brunoserrou.blogspot.be/2017/04/quatuor-diotima-21-ans-douverture.html
"Dans la vie il faut regarder par la fentre"

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #1267 on: April 12, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
I tend to agree with you, alien. Apart from the fact that these theories of "X was jealous of Y" (when we're talking, in this case, of two titanic figures of 20th century music) make little sense IMHO, Boulez himself (in an interview I read of his form the early 2000s) acknowledged Stockhausen's inventiveness (apart from having earlier saluted him as his only "peer" among living composers  ;D). When the interviewer expressed some surprise at that remark, Boulez added: "I said he was inventive, not that he was self-critical" (*). And that, I believe, is in essence the diffrence in the way those two men worked.

And yes, Boulez "gave up" on the use of tape in his compositions, but then the contribution he made to the use of real-time electronics (the IRCAM software that is so widespread these days) is immense, and he put it to stunning use in a work like Rpons (which really has to be experienced live to understand what it is all about).

(*) He then went one, in his usally humorous-malicious manner, to say that the only thing that could make the Helicopter SQ interesting was for "one of the helicpoiters to crash or something like that".  :laugh: 0:)

Honestly, Boulez is a virtual non-entity when it comes to composition and the larger musical picture. Stockhausen was a much, much better musician and composer. Ditto Ligeti .. (the greatest of the 3) .. but still all of them are extremely uneven and really nothing compared to the Greats.
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline α |

• Veteran member
    Lassus, Lassus, Gesualdo, Machaut, Ockeghem, Josquin, Bach, Webern, folk music, Beethoven chamber music, Jane's Addiction and Lassus
« Reply #1268 on: April 12, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »
but still all of them are extremely uneven and really nothing compared to the Greats.

Compared to themselves?  ???

They are the greats  8)

Offline James

• Veteran member
« Reply #1269 on: April 12, 2017, 04:03:51 PM »
Compared to themselves?  ???

They are the greats  8)

Nowhere damn near them to be realistic. Anyone who believes otherwise is completely delusional.
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod nigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1270 on: April 12, 2017, 04:06:15 PM »

Anyone who believes otherwise is completely delusional.

Apparently oblivious to irony.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. Franoise Gilot

Offline James

• Veteran member
« Reply #1271 on: April 12, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »
I've said it so many times before, the 2nd half of the 20th century was mostly failure and produced very little of value. Much of what Boulez & Stockhausen did just ain't that musical at all, especially when you stack up it against the titans of classical music. It more sounds like a bunch of scientists toying with formulas. It's so lacking in many, many regards. This is why at the end of the day, it doesn't speak to most people at all, nor will it ever. You just have to be realistic and as objective as possible about these things!

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #1272 on: April 12, 2017, 04:23:29 PM »
I've said it so many times before, the music of my day was mostly failure and produced very little of value. Much of what those damn radicals did just ain't that musical at all, especially when you stack up it against the titans of classical music. It more sounds like a bunch of scientists toying with formulas. It's so lacking in many, many regards. This is why at the end of the day, it doesn't speak to most people at all, nor will it ever. You just have to be realistic and objective as possible about these things!

There.  Now it can be a rant from anyone of any era!

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #1273 on: April 12, 2017, 05:10:50 PM »
James saying Stockhausen is not all that great?

Obviously an alien from Yuggoth has taken over his mind.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #1274 on: April 12, 2017, 06:09:17 PM »
Nowhere damn near them to be realistic. Anyone who believes otherwise is completely delusional.

I'll leave that direct attempt at a personal insult aside for the moment

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #1275 on: April 12, 2017, 06:12:01 PM »
I've said it so many times before, the 13th century was mostly failure and produced very little of value. Much of what Hildegard von Bingen, Perotin and Gesualdo did just ain't that musical at all, especially when you stack up it against the titans of prehistoric caveman music. It more sounds like a bunch of priests toying with vocal canons. It's so lacking in many, many regards. This is why at the end of the day, it doesn't speak to most people at all, nor will it ever. You just have to be realistic and as objective as possible about these things!

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #1276 on: April 12, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »
Nice snowclone, but Gesualdo lived in the 16th-early 17th century, and the other two in the 12th century.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #1277 on: April 12, 2017, 06:25:15 PM »
Nice snowclone, but Gesualdo lived in the 16th-early 17th century, and the other two in the 12th century.

It don't matter  ;)

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #1278 on: April 12, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Pierre Boulez (1925-2016) HE'S SUCH A WANKA
« Reply #1279 on: April 12, 2017, 09:40:53 PM »
I've said it so many times before, the 2nd half of the 20th century was mostly failure and produced very little of value. Much of what Boulez & Stockhausen did just ain't that musical at all, especially when you stack up it against the titans of classical music. It more sounds like a bunch of scientists toying with formulas. It's so lacking in many, many regards. This is why at the end of the day, it doesn't speak to most people at all, nor will it ever. You just have to be realistic and as objective as possible about these things!

I know what you're saying.

The quickest way I know of for a Classical Snob to get a taste of the real world, is to play some cherished Masterpiece of High Modernism... look folks, it really only takes early Schoenberg,... anyhow, play this piece that YOU JUST KNOW this friend/lover/family memebr/respected person... just a "normal" person, and play them you piece,... and then watch the reaction... which shouldn't take long!

Look, I was in the car with this one lady, and I had brought Schubert Trios... I don't know, I thought they'd be soothing... NO!!...and when she started to "OMG, turn that shit off I can't think, how can you listen to that..." and she made screetchy violin skrank noises... and I was listening to the music, and in my mind,... I had to agree... it was at a particularly "emotional" point, and yes, the piano and strings were all aflutter everywhere, and yes, it wasn't what ANYONE SHOULD WANT TO HEAR. And here we are blasting Boulez et al, and now I'm hearing Schubert as a musical trainwreck of emotion because it wasn't SOOTHING. And Shumann?,... please.

So, normal people like the first few moments of Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto, and then, when the "cool part" ends, and the reality of Classical Music begins, normal people just hear wanka wanka wanka wanka wanka.

Now getting back to the point...

Play "Your Music" to anyone you like, you'll probably get the kind of reaction that will make you run to turn it off, feeling you may become sullied with their ignorance if you let them hear just one more second of your Precious. It's happened to me.

"Oh man, when you hear this Xenakis, you're really going to flip"

Then, the crickets.

Your face goes white. "Oh no, could I be living a lie? My friend thinks it's shit. What?... Wait... I need my safe space"

Oh, lol, Mirror Image, you need to play some Schnittke to your family or friends... I gotta hear how that goes!

I remember I played something for someone once, and at once I could hear AS THEM, and thinking, this is insane, egotistical bullshit elitist crap. I turned it off immediately and put on some... Kansas, or something ( :laugh:)... "tone wooshes"

NORMAL PEOPLE THINK "TONE WOOSH" MUSIC IS CLASSICAL MUSIC!! That includes,... gulp,... Yanni.

I know, I'm ranting.

But, guys, the music we love SUCKS!! Embrace it!! I've been listening to 'Canticum Sacrum' a lot lately,.. and,... I kiiinda like it,... but I KNOW it "sucks", because, duuude, compared to Bach,... come on. ANY NORMAL PERSON would have us committed if they could.

SDOOO.........

MORAL OF THE STORY

MORAL OF THE STORY

MORAL OF THE STORY

Be thankful that we have a bunch of nerd heads here that we can have such wanky great conversations with, fighting amongst ourselves, and debating the finer points of the hairs on a camel's ass (basically, right?). So, please, everybody, we seriously haaave to take some humor to all this horribly challenging music... because,... frankly... guys... most of it sounds like farts and bleeps..

Your mother STILL loves you though, even though you listen to that godless crap!!

"Don't you have any nice music?"
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK