Author Topic: General Opera News  (Read 109570 times)

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
    • The Mirror and the Lamp
Re: General Opera News
« Reply #660 on: February 19, 2016, 02:59:23 PM »
Greg, I could not get through it. I managed about half of it.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Offline Greg Mitchell

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #661 on: February 20, 2016, 03:01:16 AM »
Greg, I could not get through it. I managed about half of it.

Mike

It is rather a Marmite movie, it would seem  ;D
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline Wendell_E

• Currently Listening to:
    mostly opera and chamber music
« Reply #662 on: February 20, 2016, 11:55:01 AM »
In which case, is it really Bizet's Carmen?

Mike

Is the version with Guiraud's recitatives really Bizet's Carmen,
"Do you ever wonder where the producers of American Idol come up with the seemingly endless supply of people who can't sing but are deluded enough to get up in front of a national audience and screech out a song anyway?" — Sarah Palin, America by Heart

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
« Reply #663 on: February 21, 2016, 10:34:32 AM »
Is the version with Guiraud's recitatives really Bizet's Carmen,

Who uses those now? In any case changing the sex and voice register of the main characters is a whole lot different from adding recits instead of spoken words. In the latter, none of Bizet's music is being mucked about.

Mike

Offline Wendell_E

« Reply #664 on: February 22, 2016, 04:34:10 AM »
Who uses [the Guiraud recitatives] now?

The Met does, in its last two productions.  The two before that started out using dialogues, but eventually switched over to Guiraud.  Some of the regional companies I usually attend do, sometimes.  I can't believe those are the only ones.  I imagine most companies that do use them don't even mention Guiraud, so it's difficult to research.  I did find that last summer's Chorégies d’Orange production, with Kaufmann and Aldrich, used the recitatives.

I'm not defending the MODO, production and agree that the changes are quite different from Guiraud's, but I still think the Guiraud version really isn't Bizet's Carmen.  Closer than MODO, certainly.
"Do you ever wonder where the producers of American Idol come up with the seemingly endless supply of people who can't sing but are deluded enough to get up in front of a national audience and screech out a song anyway?" — Sarah Palin, America by Heart

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
« Reply #665 on: February 22, 2016, 08:53:41 AM »
Thanks, I really thought the old recits had died a death. Perhaps they are easier for singers than rattling off some authentic sounding French. It all goes so much more dramatically with the spoken dialogue.

Mike

Offline Wendell_E

« Reply #666 on: February 24, 2016, 04:10:32 AM »
Thanks, I really thought the old recits had died a death. Perhaps they are easier for singers than rattling off some authentic sounding French. It all goes so much more dramatically with the spoken dialogue.

Mike

I've heard the spoken dialogues require extra rehearsal time, and particularly in a repertory house like the Met, often with changing casts throughout a run, it's just easier.  The first time Crespin did Carmen at the Met, they were still using the dialogues, and she did them wonderfully, but three years later when she sang it, it was back to Guiraud, and that really was a letdown.

Offline Spineur

• Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Claude Debussy's music
« Reply #667 on: February 26, 2016, 08:06:33 AM »
For those interested, here is the program of the 2016-2017 season of the Dutch national opera

http://www.operaballet.nl/en/program?filter=179
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline betterthanfine

« Reply #668 on: March 01, 2016, 07:03:41 AM »
For those interested, here is the program of the 2016-2017 season of the Dutch national opera

http://www.operaballet.nl/en/program?filter=179
SO excited for Salome with Gatti and the RCO.

Offline Spineur

Claude Debussy's music
« Reply #669 on: March 01, 2016, 10:42:20 AM »
SO excited for Salome with Gatti and the RCO.
+Parsifal and Dog Heart.  I think I am going to fly to Amsterdam for Salome and Parsifal.
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline Spineur

Claude Debussy's music
« Reply #670 on: April 01, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »
For the US GMG members: free broadcast of Simon Boccanegra by the MET:

Tune-in Alert! Opening of #SimonBoccanegra w @PlacidoDomingo @MalteseTenor 725pm ET online & @SIRIUSXM

https://t.co/Ul4BwtZUsO
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: The Shining as an opera + The Scarlet Letter
« Reply #671 on: May 17, 2016, 04:05:11 AM »
In the May 17, 2016 Wall Street Journal, Heidi Waleson reviews two new operas based on books: The Shining by Paul Moravec and The Scarlet Letter by Lori Laitman.

Some excerpts:

...Mr. Moravec’s witty, evocative music strikes a good balance between the sincere and the creepy. Act I, though slowed by too much exposition, gives Jack and Wendy some heartfelt arias and duets that express their bond, while groans from the orchestra and glassy violins suggest the evil that threatens them. At first, the ghosts are just implied, but from the riotous Act I finale on, they are corporeal. In Act II, the music fragments and disintegrates, and piles on the sardonic darkness with some Kurt Weill-tinged party scenes, as Jack goes over the edge....

...Nathaniel Hawthorne’s “The Scarlet Letter”... has the kernel of an operatic plot: Secret lovers, trapped in a rigid Puritan community, are tormented by a malevolent enemy. But in Lori Laitman’s relentlessly tuneful setting, which had its world premiere at Opera Colorado, the darkness of the story goes unplumbed. The tale is there, efficiently distilled into six scenes by the poet David Mason. But his verse libretto is both constraining and occasionally jarring (“scrimp / imp”; “myself / dear elf”), and the too-pretty music rarely breaks out of this rhythmic straitjacket...

...tenor Dominic Armstrong captured (Dimmesdale's) increasing guilt and torment with wide-eyed bewilderment and his public confession was the opera’s one moment of real connection. With her high, slender soprano, Laura Claycomb’s Hester was a secondary figure, never budging from her stoic acceptance of her fate. As Roger Chillingworth... baritone Malcolm MacKenzie was severely limited by the vocal writing, which was plodding and repetitive rather than poisonous. The repressive community also seemed under-characterized (“Repent, the world was born in sin” sounded positively sunny); the witchy Mistress Hibbons (mezzo Margaret Gawrysiak) gave voice to Dimmesdale’s secret guilt in waltz time, supplying some welcome rhythmic variety. As with the voices, Ms. Laitman favored cheerful colors and lush timbres in the orchestra...

See:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-shining-and-the-scarlet-letter-reviews-1463432951
"Now who taught ye t' be playin' patty fingers in the holy water?"

- Barry Fitzgerald to John Wayne in  The Quiet Man.

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #672 on: May 17, 2016, 04:19:38 AM »
The phrase relentlessly tuneful can only be ambiguous, can't it?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline André

• Veteran member

Offline Spineur

Claude Debussy's music
« Reply #674 on: June 02, 2016, 11:04:09 AM »
Judging from the enthusiasm of a number of opera singers on their twitter threads,  he is extremely popular.  Quite a good start for an opera house musical director !!
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
« Reply #675 on: June 02, 2016, 09:41:03 PM »
Alex Ross was not overwhelmingly positive. I have heard the conductor live at the Met and in London in an orchestral concert. Both times I was impressed. He seems not to have any track record in German opera which is a bit odd. As much as his conducting it will be his artistic leadership that will be important.

As usual, social media exposed its nut-jobs. One Twitter thread I read had a point, repeated by said nutter, asking whether it was unusual for a music director to be as short as Yannick is.

Sigh.

Mike

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #676 on: June 02, 2016, 09:45:54 PM »
Alex Ross was not overwhelmingly positive. I have heard the conductor live at the Met and in London in an orchestral concert. Both times I was impressed. He seems not to have any track record in German opera which is a bit odd. As much as his conducting it will be his artistic leadership that will be important.

As usual, social media exposed its nut-jobs. One Twitter thread I read had a point, repeated by said nutter, asking whether it was unusual for a music director to be as short as Yannick is.

Sigh.

Mike
It seems positive to me as well. It is good to get someone a bit younger too...
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Online ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #677 on: July 01, 2016, 02:24:25 AM »
Andris Nelsons pulls out of the new parsifal production in Bayreuth, which is due to open July 25th:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/arts/music/andris-nelsons-parsifal-bayreuth-festival.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fmusic&action=click&contentCollection=music&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=8&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

Some German papers openly blame Christian Thielemann(the recently appointed Generalmiskdirektor of the festival--a superfluos post if there ever was one  ::) for Mr. Nelsons's sudden decision: http://www.welt.de/kultur/buehne-konzert/article156704933/Eklat-in-Bayreuth-Parsifal-ohne-Dirigent.html

No replacement for Mr. Nelsons has been announced (or found yet, I suppsoe). To complicate matters even more,. Mr. Nelsons is (was?) slated to conduct the new production of the Ring in 2020.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:33:42 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Hannibal de Bréauté, mort ! Antoine de Mouchy, mort ! Charles Swann, mort ! Adalbert de Montmorency, mort ! ... »

Online ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #678 on: July 05, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »
Andris Nelsons pulls out of the new parsifal production in Bayreuth, which is due to open July 25th:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/arts/music/andris-nelsons-parsifal-bayreuth-festival.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fmusic&action=click&contentCollection=music&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=8&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

Some German papers openly blame Christian Thielemann(the recently appointed Generalmiskdirektor of the festival--a superfluos post if there ever was one  ::) for Mr. Nelsons's sudden decision: http://www.welt.de/kultur/buehne-konzert/article156704933/Eklat-in-Bayreuth-Parsifal-ohne-Dirigent.html

No replacement for Mr. Nelsons has been announced (or found yet, I suppsoe). To complicate matters even more,. Mr. Nelsons is (was?) slated to conduct the new production of the Ring in 2020.
Hartmut Haenchen has been appointed to replace Nelsons in this year's Parsifal production at Bayreuth. http://www.bayreuther-festspiele.de/news/171/details_44.htm
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Hannibal de Bréauté, mort ! Antoine de Mouchy, mort ! Charles Swann, mort ! Adalbert de Montmorency, mort ! ... »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK