Author Topic: Opera on DVD  (Read 100729 times)

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
    • The Mirror and the Lamp
Re: Opera on DVD
« Reply #740 on: June 19, 2013, 12:28:37 PM »
Well, it has Runnicles in charge, how could it be less that terrific? I may be tempted to this.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Offline kaergaard

• Currently Listening to:
    Opera
« Reply #741 on: June 19, 2013, 02:42:54 PM »
Too many great ones to list, but in my opinion only a recording of a live performance is preferable. Yes, even with any tiny trumpet geekser or a tenor's struggle. Compare the DVD of the live recording of Il trovatore] with Placido Domingo where he turns his back to the audience and reaches for the throat spray under his red cape to achieve the famous high C of Manrico's call to arms to the much overpraised Solti Ring. , the studio performance where all minute inconsistencies have been erased, corrected, replaced by numerous immaculate repeats; a showy product as perfect as a can of sardines.

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
  • if music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #742 on: June 19, 2013, 06:09:08 PM »
IMHO the DVD format (and LaserDisc, but that format never became widely popular) has been a great boon to opera; if you can't experience one live, this is the next best thing.

Another fave: this production of Peter Grimes. The flat, monochromatic set (which I loved) didn't win universal accolades, but there is no doubt that the singing - particularly of Anthony Dean Griffey in the title role, and the spectacular Met Chorus - is worth it.

--Bruce

Yes!  That's another MET broadcast I've seen on PBS which I thought was extremely good;  I had forgotten that it was available on DVD.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind.
---Rossini

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #743 on: April 14, 2014, 06:02:11 AM »
Is anyone familiar with the (relatively) new Tosca on DVD with Gheorghiu/Kaufman/Terfel with conducting from Pappano? It has gotten good reveiws, but wanted to see if anyone here had seen it.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
    • The Mirror and the Lamp
« Reply #744 on: April 14, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »
I saw this broadcast. I just could not take Gheorghiu at all seriously. She has become a parody of a diva and her acting is plastered on self consciously from the outside. The naturalness that was evident in the Solti Traviata at the start of her stardom has been replaced be a stilted, self regarding style. I decided not to buy it despite everything else being first rate.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK