Author Topic: Favorite vocal recitals on CD or DVD  (Read 72037 times)

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
    • The Mirror and the Lamp
Re: Favorite vocal recitals on CD or DVD
« Reply #280 on: April 19, 2018, 06:30:19 AM »
Yes, that is it. I have not ordered it yet. I may wait until I see a bargain, currently waiting on a bargain for Nelson’s new Bruckner disc.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Offline anothername

• New name no double account .
  • Currently Listening to:
    https://youtu.be/9KsWpuqTYLU
« Reply #281 on: April 19, 2018, 06:46:09 PM »
That's your answer, ignore bullies.  $:)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:03:30 PM by anothername »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Toru Takemitsu (1930 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of a flock descending across the pentagonal garden
« Reply #282 on: April 19, 2018, 07:30:18 PM »
To make this incredibly difficult on myself instead of making a large list, which would be much easier, here’s my pick for favorite vocal recital:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:32:53 PM by Mirror Image »
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline mjmosca

« Reply #283 on: May 29, 2018, 01:45:45 AM »
Lately I have been listening to Regine Crespin's recording of "Les Nuits d'ete" and the Ravel Sheherezade" with Ansermet conducting. Absolutely beautiful! Crespin's unique voice is perfect in this repertory. Highly recommended! thank you.

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
    • The Mirror and the Lamp
« Reply #284 on: September 14, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »
 I snapped up Magdalena Kozena’s first recital disc of Bach arias, I enjoyed it, but subsequently could not get much out of her disc of Mozart, Gluck and Myslivecek. It was many years until I heard and saw her in Rattle’s Berlin St Matthew and suddenly the voice clicked with me. There is the Melisande, again for Rattle and recently I have been buying her discs at bargain price. I think this one is the pick of them so far.

The voice sits between soprano and mezzo. On this disc she sings Sesto in Giulio Cesare, on another disc she sings Cleopatra. Likewise here she ranges between the mezzo and soprano roles. The voice is limpid, like seeing sunshine through amber. She is unafraid to make ugly sounds when she feels they are warranted.

She sustains attention and uses silences intelligently in a long aching aria from Alcina and throws off Had I Jubal’s Lyre, Ariodante, Orlando, Hercules, Rinaldo and others. Most are well trod but here, far from hackneyed.

The accompaniment is anything but routine, lovely tenderness from them and muscular playing where appropriate. It hangs together well as a program, one of the best Handel discs I own.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ah-mio-cor-Handel-Arias/dp/B000RHSRQU/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1536948886&sr=1-1&keywords=Kozena+handel+arias+venice

Mike

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.