Author Topic: Langgaard's Lyre  (Read 61829 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Langgaard's Lyre
« Reply #540 on: April 06, 2018, 09:55:49 PM »
Just discovered Symphony 13 which I like very much - on the same CD as the Prelude to Antikrist which seems to include music from one of his symphonies (no.6 possibly) - he tends to recycle themes. Great to discover a new Langgaard symphony. The very opening of the Prelude to Antikrist reminded me of the opening of Vaughan Williams's 9th Symphony.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:48:21 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #541 on: April 07, 2018, 12:07:07 AM »
Bought my copy,online,yesterday! Thanks,for the post,SurprisedByBeauty. I think I (we'll?) enjoy this!! :)
About what size is the Danacord set of Antichrist;if you're there,SuprisedByBeauty? I'm just wondering if it will fit through a standard letterbox? I may have to go away for a few days;and post has gone AWOL around here!! :(

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #542 on: April 07, 2018, 12:09:06 AM »
About what size is the Danacord set of Antichrist;if you're there,SuprisedByBeauty? I'm just wondering if it will fit through a standard letterbox? I may have to go away for a few days;and post has gone AWOL around here!! :(

Regular small jewel case! Should slip right in.  :D

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #543 on: April 07, 2018, 12:19:25 AM »
Regular small jewel case! Should slip right in.  :D

Our postman uses the cat-flap in those circumstances.  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #544 on: April 07, 2018, 12:23:34 AM »
Our postman uses the cat-flap in those circumstances.  8)

When I was a kid, our postman would do the same thing... until our cat caught wind of it and then proceeded to lie in waiting for the postman to do just that. And if the poor fellow exposed as much as glint of flesh, he was dinged by a stealthy paw with claws playfully out-all-the-way. He was subsequently re-trained -- the postman, not the cat -- to stick packages in only half-way, rain or shine.

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #545 on: April 07, 2018, 12:24:56 AM »
When I was a kid, our postman would do the same thing... until our cat caught wind of it and then proceeded to lie in waiting for the postman to do just that. And if the poor fellow exposed as much as glint of flesh poking his hand through the cat-flap, he was dinged by a stealthy paw with claws playfully out-all-the-way. He was subsequently re-trained -- the postman, not the cat -- to stick packages in only half-way, rain or shine.

What's this -- the EDIT function has gone?

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #546 on: April 07, 2018, 12:27:07 AM »
What's this -- the EDIT function has gone?

I was able to edit a message earlier. The modify button is still there as far as I can see.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #547 on: April 07, 2018, 12:28:34 AM »
When I was a kid, our postman would do the same thing... until our cat caught wind of it and then proceeded to lie in waiting for the postman to do just that. And if the poor fellow exposed as much as glint of flesh, he was dinged by a stealthy paw with claws playfully out-all-the-way. He was subsequently re-trained -- the postman, not the cat -- to stick packages in only half-way, rain or shine.
;D

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #548 on: April 07, 2018, 12:59:26 AM »
You need a postman flap,really. But then the burglar would use it,too!! ::) :( I like the way the postman had to be re-trained not the cat!! ;D But then how do you train a cat?!! ::) It reminds me of when I was living in lodgings,when I was a youngster. The cat suddenly ran in chasing a mouse. I managed to save the mouse and threw the cat out of the back door. I proudly told the Landlord. He looked at me in a mixture of horror and disbelief! "You threw the cat out and saved the mouse? You threw the cat out and saved the mouse?!!" he spluttered. I could hear him muttering away to himself all day,"He threw the cat out and saved the mouse?!!"

Oh,good. It's not one of those fat boxes! It was embarassing enough this morning. After I late night I woke up,a bit late. I thought,I must get up,in case the postman knocks? As soon as the thought entered my head he started knocking. I can't stand getting that card through the door,when I'm there. At any event,the postman handed the packages over with a big grin on his face (discreetly turned away) as I struggled to hold up my trousers behind the frosted glass door!!! ??? :o ::) ;D I hate glass doors!! >:( ;D

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #549 on: April 12, 2018, 11:48:50 PM »
The Danacord recording of Antichrist arrived today! Hm! :-\ Having been used to the ,and having raved to the splendours,and wild magnificence,of the Dacapo recording this is going to get some getting used to!! As I've said before. I'm not a fan of live recordings,generally. This may be a slow burn?!! Very interesting to listen,though. I will listen to some other music for a while,then come back to it again! Food for though,eh?!! ;D

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #550 on: April 15, 2018, 09:11:49 AM »
Which of the symphonies would you recommend I explore next, after No. 1? I know there is nothing of that sort of scale, at least length-wise, in the remaining symphonies.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells on Magic Nights
« Reply #551 on: April 15, 2018, 09:37:17 AM »
Which of the symphonies would you recommend I explore next, after No. 1? I know there is nothing of that sort of scale, at least length-wise, in the remaining symphonies.

Check out the 6th. A personal favorite. 8)
“It must be beautiful, or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů

Turner

« Reply #552 on: April 15, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »
Nos. 4, 6 and 10  :)

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #553 on: April 15, 2018, 10:24:52 AM »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #554 on: April 15, 2018, 10:35:59 AM »

Offline relm1

« Reply #555 on: April 15, 2018, 03:16:10 PM »
What are your favorite Langgard symphonies?  I mean, lets say a classical fan has never heard of him, what would you say "oh you must hear xyz" to get them interested in the rest of his unique output?

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #556 on: April 15, 2018, 07:35:53 PM »
What are your favorite Langgard symphonies?  I mean, lets say a classical fan has never heard of him, what would you say "oh you must hear xyz" to get them interested in the rest of his unique output?

Personally I find the symphonies 1, 4, 6, 10, 11 (a bit fun) and 16 more invigorating, so I would recommend those, although all 16 are worth it.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #557 on: April 15, 2018, 09:33:24 PM »
In addition to those already mentioned I have enjoyed Symphony 13.

Turner

« Reply #558 on: April 15, 2018, 09:47:51 PM »
I´m pretty sure that there are quite big differences between recordings of the symphonies & the atmosphere they provide in each work.

I only have Stupel´s complete cycle + some supplementary recordings, not Dausgaard´s cycle.

Generally, I' m satisfied with Stupel´s, though he´s in trouble with the non-Danish vocal soloists. His 10th and 5th great, for example, his Antichrist Prelude very impressive.

The Danacord 2CD release of the symphonies 4,6,10 etc. conducted by Frandsen, Schmidt etc. is really superb, some of the best Langgaard recordings in existence, including Music of the Spheres.

Eventually, I´ll probably buy Dausgaard´s set too & might revise my appreciation of some of the lesser known symphonies.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:49:37 PM by Turner »

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #559 on: April 16, 2018, 01:20:38 PM »
I have the Stupel and the Dausgaard sets and a CD that includes the symphonies 4-6 performed by Järvi and the Danish National S.O. I don't own the 2 CD of Danacord with the symphonies 4, 6, 10, 14 and Music of Spheres.

According to my favorite symphonies, I can say:

Symphony 1 - Segerstam makes an extraordinary job here. I feel the work sounds more epic and relentless.

Symphony 4 - I like the performances of Stupel and Järvi. Dausgaard is good but rushes a bit at the beginning and at the end. I think part of the excitement is missing.

Symphony 6 - Järvi's performance is the benchmark to me, mainly because he allows the work breathe at the coda, therefore it sounds much more majestic and expansive. Stupel and Dausgaard wreck that part by rushing. A big fail in my view.

Symphony 10 - Dausgaard and Stupel are rather appropriate in this work, despite there is a difference of around 3 minutes in the performances (Stupel - 29 min., Dausgaard - almost 26 min.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:24:53 PM by SymphonicAddict »