Author Topic: Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise  (Read 144759 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise
« Reply #1500 on: March 09, 2018, 02:50:16 PM »
Kondrashin's coupling of No 9 and The Execution of Stepan Razin is probably my favourite Shostakovich album. I first heard it over 40 years ago but couldn't afford to buy it at the time and it has slipped on and off my radar for years. I finally bought a near mint LP online a couple of years ago at a very reasonable price. I also bought the Melodiya/Gozman recording of No 14 from the same source - fine performance but also complete with texts. One drawback with the Barshai cycle is the complete absence of texts.

+ 1 . One of the very best single issues of Shostakovich ever issued (had it on lp, now have it in the cd box set). Among ‘orphan releases’ I also treasure Boult’s LPO 6th (Everest) and Ormandy’s 15th (RCA).

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #1501 on: March 09, 2018, 04:41:37 PM »
Among ‘orphan releases’ I also treasure Boult’s LPO 6th (Everest) and Ormandy’s 15th (RCA).

Yeah, those are both great. I've got the Boult coupled with another fine "orphan," Malcolm Sargent's 9th.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #1502 on: March 09, 2018, 05:16:42 PM »
Nothing beats this!

or

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #1503 on: March 09, 2018, 05:29:40 PM »
I have Mrawinsky’s 15th and it’s indeed excellent. But it must yield pride of place to Ormandy  0:)

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #1504 on: March 10, 2018, 01:48:27 AM »
I've seen the Leningrad PO in action, with Rozhdestvensky waving the stick.  'Well-drilled' would be apt, but an understatement. 

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #1505 on: March 10, 2018, 02:31:29 AM »
Ageist!  8)

Well - Petrenko was born after DSCH died and would have been about 15 at the time of the dissolution of the USSR.  I question whether he can really have stored up enough angst and bile  :D 

Since you suggest that you will only consider a Russian conductor, I'll go ahead and mention one of my favorite cycles:  Maksim Shostakovich.

Well the question was about cycles, and really it's more that I'm not a cycles person - there are at least 5, probably 7, DSCH symphonies that don't interest me at all.  (And I would say similar of almost any composer.)  So the recordings I know are all as a result of le cherry-picking (a word that appears to have newly entered the French vocabulary  ;)).  I do rather like Caetani - he does at least have a direct connection back to Mravinsky, is my excuse for that.  But I also like (in contrast) Wigglesworth, and I guess he is about as westernised as you can get - and maybe the best-recorded that I've heard.  But neither of those is bargain price.

Confession time, the truth is, surveying my collection of the 8 symphonies I do like, and my favoured versions of them, only one Soviet-era conductor figures - Svetlanov (10th).  Sanderling (15th) and De Priest (11th) come close, I suppose.  Ormandy (1st) of course did collaborate with the composer.  I still favour Previn for the 5th!  ???   And yes, Kondrashin for that 9th/Stepan Razin issue, outstanding.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #1506 on: March 10, 2018, 03:01:46 AM »
If one requires that kind of cultural connection in order to perform music, one is going to be in serious trouble finding a Beethoven recording that meets such criteria.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #1507 on: March 10, 2018, 03:08:26 AM »
+ 1 . One of the very best single issues of Shostakovich ever issued (had it on lp, now have it in the cd box set). Among ‘orphan releases’ I also treasure Boult’s LPO 6th (Everest) and Ormandy’s 15th (RCA).

The Kondrashin version of "Stenka Razin" has never been bettered I think.  An important work too but one that rather lives in the shadow of Babi Yar.  Odd that it has not had more/better recordings.  The recent Paavo Jarvi is the best I've heard of the newer/digital recordings

but I rather like the old Phillips East German performance too

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #1508 on: March 10, 2018, 03:22:03 AM »
The recent Paavo Jarvi is the best I've heard of the newer/digital recordings

Isn't this the one where they didn't include the texts because of issues with people being upset?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Draško

« Reply #1509 on: March 10, 2018, 03:32:51 AM »
I do rather like Caetani - he does at least have a direct connection back to Mravinsky, is my excuse for that.

What connection?

Offline relm1

« Reply #1510 on: July 27, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/shostakovich-symphony-no-5/1377649478

This is a very beautiful performance of Shostakovich No. 5.  But for me, I prefer intensity over beauty for this work.  For example, the bass trombone is very muted in the first movement which should really be forceful.  This certainly isn't a bad performance, just slightly tame for a war symphony.  Much more intensity would serve this interpretation well. The final movement is very good but I found the first movement less intense, the scherzo was lethargic, the largo was too quick and lacking intensity.  The finale was good and precise.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #1511 on: July 28, 2018, 03:30:50 AM »
What connection?

Oleg Caetani is the son of Igor Markevitch.  Who was also a Russian conductor with a name starts with an M?

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #1512 on: July 28, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »
Hah!  My bad  :-[