Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 578718 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #8560 on: February 15, 2018, 04:48:36 AM »
rereading from about 25 years ago, mostly the audiobook, which is well done but you need the book sometimes to see the section changes.  There does not seem to be much thought into the audiobook chapters other than each of the 43 'chapters' is about 50 minutes long.  The book itself has four large chapters with numerous unnumbered sections within

As with tagging mp3s (?) there is a tension between cookie-cutter organization, and variations in the organization of an artwork  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #8561 on: February 15, 2018, 04:49:42 AM »
:( Galahad is my favorite, but I have noticed that he is best when he doesn't appear often, and you wish for more of him, rather than when he is a central character.

Very interesting!  (FWIW, I have not yet plunged in at Blandings.)

We never feel that about Jeeves, or Psmith, meseems.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #8562 on: February 15, 2018, 04:53:05 AM »
Re-reading:

That looks mighty interesting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #8563 on: February 15, 2018, 05:31:45 AM »
As with tagging mp3s (?) there is a tension between cookie-cutter organization, and variations in the organization of an artwork  8)

Yes, but at least mp3/cd tracks can be meaningfully lapeled.  Don’t know why audible can’t label chapters
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Online Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #8564 on: February 15, 2018, 12:52:10 PM »
An entertaining read so far:

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #8565 on: February 16, 2018, 02:33:32 AM »
David Ossman (yes, of course, that David Ossman), The Ronald Reagan Murder Case.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8566 on: February 16, 2018, 12:21:14 PM »
Finished:

The Wolff book was much better than I expected it to be, and is kind of misrepresented by the "shocking revelations!" advertising its had.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #8567 on: February 18, 2018, 03:03:31 AM »
Accompanying my recent revisiting of late 19th to early 20th century Italian opera (scapigliatura to verismo and decadentismo) with this book by eminent left-wing critic Rubens Tedeschi (who died in 2015 at the age of 101):

I got to Tedeschi through conductor Gianandrea Gavazzeni, as both men had a bit of a feud concerning many of the composers of the period (particularly Mascagni—a guilty pleasure of mine, I must admit  ;)). Gavazzeni was a great promoter of this repertoire (in the opera house, on record and in print), and Tedeschi called him “a champion of lost causes”, contradicting many of the arguments given by the conductor. Most interesting to compare these two views of a troubled but IMHO fascinating era in operatic history.

The subtitle of the book is slightly misleading. The first edition started with Boito and the scapigliatura, and essays on the “big four” (Rossini, Bellini, Donizetti and Verdi) seem to have been appended at the end in this later reprint.

Tedeschi also wrote a book on d’Annunzio and music. Apparently rather difficult to get hold of, but I’ve just ordered the one copy that was being offered on AbeBooks  :)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:00:33 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8568 on: February 18, 2018, 06:38:34 PM »
Also picking away at this on audiobook at about one disc per day,and finding it very good:

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #8569 on: February 18, 2018, 09:32:20 PM »
Also picking away at this on audiobook at about one disc per day,and finding it very good:

A dreadful book. It is deeply unreliable. Armstrong is either unaware of,or ignores the large corpus of modern historians and their work on the sources. Cf ibn Warraq, The Quest for the Historical Mohammed.
Even Robert Spencer's extremely hostile and tendentious book is better than Armstrong's.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8570 on: February 18, 2018, 09:41:26 PM »
Interesting. Im not at all familiar with the scholarship. What sort of things does she get wrong?

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #8571 on: February 18, 2018, 11:44:05 PM »
Interesting. Im not at all familiar with the scholarship. What sort of things does she get wrong?
She relies pretty much entirely and uncritically on traditional Muslim sources, which are of course all late. Just as one example, Patricia Crone has shown there was no trade route through the Medina/Mecca region at that time. That's a huge hit for any claim of historicity. She makes, as I recall from my reading of her, no mention of the problems with isnads and ahadith, nor the early variants of the Koran, the theories it has origins nearer Syria, bupkis, and so on. Just religious apologetics.

Aside from warraq as I recommended, Andrew Rippin has a good book on Islam that discusses this. The Oxford short intro to the Koran is excellent.

Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #8572 on: Today at 02:59:53 AM »
She relies pretty much entirely and uncritically on traditional Muslim sources, which are of course all late. Just as one example, Patricia Crone has shown there was no trade route through the Medina/Mecca region at that time. That's a huge hit for any claim of historicity. She makes, as I recall from my reading of her, no mention of the problems with isnads and ahadith, nor the early variants of the Koran, the theories it has origins nearer Syria, bupkis, and so on. Just religious apologetics.

Oh gosh, I read Armstrong's Islam, a Short History (2000), very superficial. People like her become apologetic for something they have not even the basic understanding. I do have a thing about "former" nuns, though, priests, too, like Martin Luther. 
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8573 on: Today at 08:58:26 AM »

Aside from warraq as I recommended, Andrew Rippin has a good book on Islam that discusses this. The Oxford short intro to the Koran is excellent.

I'll see if i can track those down. Thanks.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK