Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 644694 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #8800 on: August 10, 2018, 04:57:29 AM »

Good grief!  :o ::). Only sold in bookstores on the Belgrade equivalent of 42nd Street?  ;)

Pity we don’t have a “Worst looking Book Covers” thread...

42nd Street has cleaned up since the days of that reputation.  Travis Bickel would almost not recognize it;  Times Square is practically family-friendly these days.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #8801 on: August 10, 2018, 05:00:26 AM »
42nd Street has cleaned up since the days of that reputation.  Travis Bickel would almost not recognize it;  Times Square is practically family-friendly these days.
Must update my information for my next trip to NYC, then?  ;D
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline Draško

« Reply #8802 on: August 10, 2018, 05:17:42 AM »
Good grief!  :o ::). Only sold in bookstores on the Belgrade equivalent of 42nd Street?  ;)

;D In no bookstores at all, actually  :(  It's 70s or 80s printing and there hasn't been any more recent edition at all. So I'll have to get it used, in only one way hopefully  :D

Offline Alberich

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #8803 on: August 10, 2018, 05:30:03 AM »
Continuing Sherlock Holmes stories. Now tackling The Final Problem...which turned out not to be the final problem after all. Funny how they inserted the line about  "Napoleon of Crime" even in The Great Mouse Detective.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #8804 on: August 10, 2018, 06:08:29 AM »
Continuing Sherlock Holmes stories. Now tackling The Final Problem...which turned out not to be the final problem after all. Funny how they inserted the line about  "Napoleon of Crime" even in The Great Mouse Detective.

After Holmes, try a few of his “rivals” (as some collections of stories from era were named in the 70s). The best by far are the early Father Brown stories by Chesterton. The Thinking Machine by Futrelle is fun. Free or very cheap on Kindle too.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Alberich

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #8805 on: August 10, 2018, 06:12:47 AM »
Also, here's a shocker: I've never read Agatha Christie yet in my entire life!
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #8806 on: August 10, 2018, 06:13:57 AM »
Rereading, in bits, the complete mystery stories of Stanley Ellin.

These are utterly fantastic stories. My favourite is the one about the executioner challenged by his son ...
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #8807 on: August 10, 2018, 06:17:48 AM »
Also, here's a shocker: I've never read Agatha Christie yet in my entire life!

I have read about 65 of them ... about 50 of them in grades 9 and 10.

The one everyone should read is And Then There Were None.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #8808 on: August 10, 2018, 07:17:00 AM »
My childhood reading of that nature was Ellery Queen. Usually Gollancz yellow hardback editions from the local ("Hands clean? Both sides?") public library.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #8809 on: August 10, 2018, 07:33:37 AM »
My childhood reading of that nature was Ellery Queen. Usually Gollancz yellow hardback editions from the local ("Hands clean? Both sides?") public library.
Yeah, I loved those, like the Chinese Orange Mystery, when I was younger. Alas I found EQ doesn’t stand up very well to re reading decades later. Conan Doyle does  :)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #8810 on: August 10, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »
Yeah, I loved those, like the Chinese Orange Mystery, when I was younger. Alas I found EQ doesn’t stand up very well to re reading decades later. Conan Doyle does  :)

Funny you should say that about EQ, because although once in a while I like to visit the past I've never been tempted to reread them. And yeah, Conan Doyle is always cool.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #8811 on: August 16, 2018, 05:00:37 PM »

Online Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #8812 on: August 17, 2018, 01:38:09 AM »
My first David Sedaris.  Probably the funniest book I've ever read.  A weird mix of sweet naivete and brutal cynicism.  He treads lightly through dark places and somehow makes poetry out of both mundane and taboo topics.  I look forward to reading the rest of his books, and already dread coming to the end...

It's all good...

Offline MN Dave

beethoven, chopin, brahms, that stuff...
« Reply #8813 on: August 17, 2018, 04:48:27 AM »
Rebel Buddha for the 2nd time

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #8814 on: August 17, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »

I recently recommended to someone that they watch Un coeur en hiver by Claude Sautet and then later added the suggestion that Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time should be read too (if you know the Sauter film you'll understand the connection) or at least, the Princess Mary section. Finally, it seemed obvious that if there was interest still that Plato's Symposium could round it all off. The latter is something I feel might be worthwhile for me to read again at this juncture, and so I picked up an old and worn copy in order to not feel guilty about cramming it in my back pocket when out and about. ;D

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #8815 on: August 17, 2018, 12:01:32 PM »
My first David Sedaris.  Probably the funniest book I've ever read.  A weird mix of sweet naivete and brutal cynicism.  He treads lightly through dark places and somehow makes poetry out of both mundane and taboo topics.  I look forward to reading the rest of his books, and already dread coming to the end...

Even for those who don’t do audiobooks I recommend it for him.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8816 on: August 17, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »
Even for those who don’t do audiobooks I recommend it for him.

I heard the audiobook of Me Talk Pretty One Day and loved his voice (which I'd never heard before) and delivery.

What made me especially glad to have "read" it that way was that at one point he talks about doing TV jingles in the voice of Billie Holliday - in a misguided attempt to impress a music teacher - and here we get to appreciate the perfection of his impersonation as he launches into it with gusto.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #8817 on: August 17, 2018, 01:49:45 PM »
I heard the audiobook of Me Talk Pretty One Day and loved his voice (which I'd never heard before) and delivery.

What made me especially glad to have "read" it that way was that at one point he talks about doing TV jingles in the voice of Billie Holliday - in a misguided attempt to impress a music teacher - and here we get to appreciate the perfection of his impersonation as he launches into it with gusto.
yeah that’s funny. He did that on NPR for a Christmas maybe twenty years ago. That’s what got me started on him. Some thing about elves and Billy Holiday.