Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1845828 times)

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #27840 on: July 17, 2018, 02:30:22 PM »
Annihilation

Very good.  But one could wile a way a pleasant few hours listing all the stories and novels that it steals from (Conrad, the Strugatsky brothers, Tarkovsky, and Gene Wolfe are sources that come to mind).  Well, steal from the best if you are going to steal.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #27841 on: July 17, 2018, 03:09:02 PM »
Karl - a MUST in my mind - own the BD which replaced my DVD - if you stream from Amazon, just 3 or 4 bucks (SD vs. HD) - enjoy - :)  Dave

Amen!   0:)   The Blu-Ray has a restored print, and the color is very sharp!

Recently we revisited...

Fun stuff...especially the Scottish accents!   ;)
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #27842 on: July 17, 2018, 06:35:19 PM »
Annihilation

Very good.  But one could wile a way a pleasant few hours listing all the stories and novels that it steals from (Conrad, the Strugatsky brothers, Tarkovsky, and Gene Wolfe are sources that come to mind).  Well, steal from the best if you are going to steal.

I loved Annihilation. And there is a podcast called The Next Picture Show that... "is a biweekly roundtable examining how classic films inspire and inform modern movies. Hosted and produced by the former editorial team of The Dissolve – Genevieve Koski, Keith Phipps, Tasha Robinson and Scott Tobias – episodes take a deep dive into a classic film and its legacy in part one, then compare and contrast it with a modern successor in part two."
In a recent episode they compare Annihilation with Tarkovsky's Stalker.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #27843 on: July 18, 2018, 03:31:18 AM »
I hadn't heard of Annihilation, and looking it up on Wikipedia tells me why. It didn't get a cinema release in most places, they sent it to Netflix instead.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #27844 on: July 18, 2018, 05:21:13 AM »
I hadn't heard of Annihilation, and looking it up on Wikipedia tells me why. It didn't get a cinema release in most places, they sent it to Netflix instead.

I noticed that. Annihilation wasn't a huge box office success, not necessarily a failure either as the budget was quite low. But I would guess that marketing a film like this is difficult, and finding the right audience is even more difficult.

TD: Ant-Man and The Wasp
I grew up a Marvel fan so naturally I see all of their films. As is with the first Ant-Man, this sequel is fun. It doesn't take itself too seriously and also doesn't include a must-rule-the-universe type villain. And of course the true critic is my son, if he had a good time seeing it, then so did I.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:40:43 PM by TheGSMoeller »

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #27845 on: July 18, 2018, 01:22:45 PM »
Tom Jones (1963) w/ Albert Finney, Hugh Griffith, Susannah York, and many others - a new arrival and DVD replacement - the Criterion restoration is superb, as expected (5* AV ratings HERE) - Finney and York look so good at that time (I was still in high school) - nominated for 10 Oscars and winner of 4, including Best Picture (see below).  Dave :)

You piqued my curiosity but good, so here I am, watching.

Do you have an opinion about the theatrical release VS. director's cut, Dave?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27846 on: July 18, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »
Karl - a MUST in my mind - own the BD which replaced my DVD - if you stream from Amazon, just 3 or 4 bucks (SD vs. HD) - enjoy - :)  Dave

Amen!   0:)   The Blu-Ray has a restored print, and the color is very sharp!

All right! I still have a balance on my B&N gift card....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Draško

« Reply #27847 on: July 18, 2018, 03:54:21 PM »

At the Cinematheque. Haven't seen it on big screen before but it looks expectedly breathtaking. The locusts/fire sequence quite terrifying and apocalyptic.   

Offline anothername

• New name no double account .
    https://youtu.be/9KsWpuqTYLU
« Reply #27848 on: July 18, 2018, 06:52:17 PM »

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #27849 on: July 18, 2018, 10:52:02 PM »
IT’S THE OLD ARMY GAME (1926)
W.C. Fields. Louise Brooks     directed by Eddie Sutherland
Beautiful b&w transfer on BluRay of Fields’ first starring film introduces several routines he would use again, differently, in his sound films.  Louise Brooks is a scene-stealer.
Much more information could have been included in the commentary which notes the differences in the sound remakes of  the reused material: some locations and the sourcing of the title cards for example

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27850 on: July 19, 2018, 05:48:29 AM »
You piqued my curiosity but good, so here I am, watching.

Do you have an opinion about the theatrical release VS. director's cut, Dave?

Hi Karl - I watched just the 'Theatrical Release' and some of the special features - cannot comment personally on the 'Director's Cut' but their timing is about the same - a couple of short comments below from HERE - take a look at the link, might be more?  I enjoyed the movie after all of these years and the Criterion AV restoration is superb (as expected), but not sure how often I'll be watching?  Dave :)

*Criterion's release of Tom Jones contains two versions of the film: The original award-winning 1963 Theatrical Version, which is approximately 129 minutes long, and the 1989 Director's Cut of the film created by Richardson and editor Robert Lambert, which is approximately 122 minutes long. Both versions have been recently restored in 4K.

There are two standard audio tracks on this Blu-ray release: English LPCM 1.0 (Theatrical Version) and English LPCM 2.0 (Director's Cut). Optional English SDH subtitles are provided for the main feature (available for both versions of the film).

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27851 on: Today at 06:43:09 PM »
Bull Durham (1988) w/ Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon, & Tim Robbins - living in North Carolina (we have the Winston-Salem Dash) and having past the Bull Durham baseball field many times, the film is special, BUT it's enjoyable - just bought the Criterion BD to replace my old DVD - ratings are 5* for both video & audio (HERE) - highly recommended if you've not seen this movie, AND if you want to own a copy, this is the best option.  Dave :)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27852 on: Today at 06:51:15 PM »
Hi Karl - I watched just the 'Theatrical Release' and some of the special features - cannot comment personally on the 'Director's Cut' but their timing is about the same - a couple of short comments below from HERE - take a look at the link, might be more?  I enjoyed the movie after all of these years and the Criterion AV restoration is superb (as expected), but not sure how often I'll be watching?  Dave :)

I understand you, Dave. Almost as if it was yesterday, I remember reading the novel, which is cracking fun (and I never skipped, which I freely admit having done with Pickwick Papers), and which I could readily wade into rereading again ... so I did spring for the Criterion Blu-ray (well, with my B&N gift card) reckoning on getting more than one viewing out of it. But in addition to my enduring fondness for the source novel, so many of my beloved character actors: Peter Bull, David Warner, and the exquisite Joan Greenwood!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA