Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1964534 times)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #28440 on: November 29, 2018, 07:59:10 AM »
First Reformed...another addition to the best of 2018.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #28441 on: November 29, 2018, 02:02:04 PM »
First Reformed...another addition to the best of 2018.

Indeed!!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #28442 on: November 30, 2018, 02:47:23 AM »
Plus Jeff Bridges; always a great performance.
He's a treasure. Damon and Brolin are no slouches either - nor the young actress, but Bridges is hilarious and captivating from beginning to end.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #28443 on: November 30, 2018, 08:07:30 AM »

The story of how jewish inmates in Terezin learned and performed the Verdi Requiem before their nazi gaolers, and a reenactment of that event in 2012 on the grounds of the Terezin camp. An exceptionally moving and ultimately uplifting documentary.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 08:10:26 AM by André »

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #28444 on: December 01, 2018, 03:54:25 AM »
Finally saw Solo as I bought the Blu-ray on black friday (7,95 €) and received it yesterday. The movie starts poorly, but becomes quite good after the first hour. Alden Eldenreich isn't convinsing as young Han Solo at all. He looks like a fan who has Han Solo clothes on for a Star Wars movie premier. Ron Howard has gotten real Star Wars feeling in the movie in some parts. John Powell has accomplished a great score "adapting" John Williams themes. Ironically this is the first Star Wars movie ever to bomb on the box office as it's one of the better Disney Star Wars movies so far, clearly better than the abysmal The Last Jedi...  ::)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #28445 on: December 01, 2018, 06:46:18 AM »

Waitress.  I’ll fess up and admit that the only reason I watched this is because Keri Russell is in it.  It’s a small-scale tale of a small-town waitress who bakes mean pies and is married to a mean husband.  Said husband knocks her up, thereby throwing a wrench in her life plans, which are further complicated when she starts an affair with her Ob-Gyn.  Told from a woman’s perspective and directed by a woman (who sadly was murdered before the movie’s release), it is enjoyable, but it is far quirkier than I expected.  I really had no basis to expect anything, but for some reason I thought it would be more straight-forward in style.  The collection of TV actors do OK or slightly better work, with Andy Griffith quite enjoyable doing uncharacteristic work.  An OK+ overall.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28446 on: December 01, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »

Coincidental to the passing of GHWB I rewatched Pennebakers strategists-eye-view of the Clinton v Bush election campaign. Not as good as I remember it from way back when it first screened, it now seems choppily edited and superficial. But some great Dynasty-style fashions from all of the women.

Later decided to watch the PBS American Experience take on GHWB, and was disappointed to find it an unusually weak - uncritical to the point of being hagiographic - entry in the series, though it still served to fill in a few biographical details I was unaware of.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 02:08:22 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #28447 on: December 08, 2018, 06:59:05 AM »

Upstream Color.  After being somewhat underwhelmed by his bargain basement sci-fi flick Primer a few years ago, I finally decided to give Shane Carruth's second flick a chance.  Oops.  Here's an artsy movie as bad as any I've seen in a long, long time.  The story, supposedly deep and meaningful, involves some bizarro world organism that somehow ties people together mentally.  Maybe spiritually, who the hell knows?  The action starts when a skeezy thief uses the organism to huxtable a pretty chick and clean her out, causing her to spin out of control.  She then meets a less skeezy dude and they fall in love, or something like that.  Did I mention there are pigs in the story?  Lots and lots of pigs.  So many pigs.  And they do stuff.  Despite accolades for its supposed craft, it often looks like a high school AV Club filmmaker shot the flick.  Some shots are head-scratchingly amateurish.  Maybe that's the point, where the infinitely skilled auteur uses cinematic primitivism to convey a primal and simple, yet poignant and powerful commentary on existential suffering, or some such.  Really, though, it's just a shit movie.  It makes Annihilation seem like 2001.  I know, I know, it's just too sophisticated for me.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Draško

« Reply #28448 on: December 08, 2018, 07:13:28 AM »
I liked Upstream Color. I've seen it a while back, but the way I remember it is that even though the story on a plot level is pretty incomprehensible and surreal the characters's emotions, reactions and connections between them seemed perfectly real and sort of logical. It's quite trippy film definitely.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #28449 on: December 08, 2018, 10:22:49 AM »
Green Book (2018) w/ Viggo Mortensen & Mahershala Ali on the BIG screen - short synopsis quoted below; ratings: 8.3/10, IMDB; 83%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4.5/5, Amazon - we both enjoyed - I'd do a 4* rating on Amazon and a recommendation; in fact, I knew little about the pianism of Don Shirley (1927-2013), so now have a Pandora station setup and also have done some Spotify listening - another recommendation.

Glenn Miller Story, The (1954) w/ James Stewart, June Allyson and a host of jazz great guest stars, such as Louis Armstrong, Ben Pollack, Gene Krupa, Barney Bigard, and others - a new BD release (replaces my old DVD) bought mainly for the sound which is fantastic (nominated for 3 Oscars; won for 'Sound Recording' which is appropriate) - if a fan of these old music bioptics, then a recommendation.  Dave :)

Dr. Don Shirley is a world-class African-American pianist who's about to embark on a concert tour in the Deep South in 1962. In need of a driver and protection, Shirley recruits Tony Lip, a tough-talking bouncer from an Italian-American neighborhood in the Bronx. Despite their differences, the two men soon develop an unexpected bond while confronting racism and danger in an era of segregation.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28450 on: December 08, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »

Upstream Color.  After being somewhat underwhelmed by his bargain basement sci-fi flick Primer a few years ago, I finally decided to give Shane Carruth's second flick a chance.  Oops.  Here's an artsy movie as bad as any I've seen in a long, long time.  The story, supposedly deep and meaningful, involves some bizarro world organism that somehow ties people together mentally.  Maybe spiritually, who the hell knows?  The action starts when a skeezy thief uses the organism to huxtable a pretty chick and clean her out, causing her to spin out of control.  She then meets a less skeezy dude and they fall in love, or something like that.  Did I mention there are pigs in the story?  Lots and lots of pigs.  So many pigs.  And they do stuff.  Despite accolades for its supposed craft, it often looks like a high school AV Club filmmaker shot the flick.  Some shots are head-scratchingly amateurish.  Maybe that's the point, where the infinitely skilled auteur uses cinematic primitivism to convey a primal and simple, yet poignant and powerful commentary on existential suffering, or some such.  Really, though, it's just a shit movie.  It makes Annihilation seem like 2001.  I know, I know, it's just too sophisticated for me.

My theory is that Upstream Colour is about addiction. And that most of the bizarre or conspiracy surface detail are the distortions and rationalizations of the addicted and recovering brain.

I'd need to see it again to go into detail about that.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28451 on: December 08, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »
Yesterday, a second viewing:

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #28452 on: December 08, 2018, 12:15:07 PM »
An extraordinary film. The tension is almost unbearable.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.