Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 653427 times)

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #8900 on: September 19, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »
This is my wife's first book, released just last week. It is the true story of how we got one Afghan refugee kid out of Australia's asylum detention system, how he has adjusted to life in Australia while living with us over the last 4 years, and how he has enriched our lives. It throws a light on how inhumanely we (Australia) are treating asylum seekers, but the politics takes a back seat to the human story.

Adding my astonished look -- and praise -- to the chorus. Bravo, and good for you for your perspective on life's important issues.

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #8901 on: September 19, 2018, 03:15:35 PM »
Just started this

(The Story of San Michele --- the Romanian traditional translation actually reads The Book of San Michele)

and it's a page turner. One of the most humane and enjoyable books I've ever read. It literally made me happy while reading. Fwiw, the latest occasions in which I felt something similar was when listening for the first time to Saint-Saëns's Septet and Moeran's Violin Concerto.

I confess to surprise. This is an older, non fiction, book. But as you made plain on another thread, you are the perfect Whig: the past is only a prelude to us.

As I understand, not having read it, he “restores” a Roman villa. Restores? As in in HIB, Historically Informed Building?  SURELY NOT! rebuilding it in the style of le Corbusier is perfectly correct, right?
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Van Gogh - Flowers in a Blue Vase
« Reply #8902 on: September 19, 2018, 11:03:03 PM »
I confess to surprise. This is an older, non fiction, book. But as you made plain on another thread, you are the perfect Whig: the past is only a prelude to us.

As I understand, not having read it, he “restores” a Roman villa. Restores? As in in HIB, Historically Informed Building?  SURELY NOT! rebuilding it in the style of le Corbusier is perfectly correct, right?

You sorely misunderstood both me and the book, I'm afraid. For starters, he does not restore any Roman villa. He builds one from scratch, the way he wanted it to be built, according to his own ideas and taste.

And boy, are you fond of false analogies to music! Now it's architecture's turn. 

Anyway, instead of taking me to task in every post for my heinous crimes (mass murderer and unrepentant HIP heretic) you'd better read the book. I have good reasons to suppose you'll love it. 

(You know, I'm perfectly aware you were just teasing me. I just reciprocate it.  :-* )
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:58:33 PM by Florestan »
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and upon which it is impossible to remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Offline Alberich

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #8903 on: September 20, 2018, 05:44:21 AM »
I couldn't wait anymore so I started reading Ninety-Three.

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Van Gogh - Flowers in a Blue Vase
« Reply #8904 on: September 20, 2018, 06:27:48 AM »
I couldn't wait anymore so I started reading Ninety-Three.

You're in for a treat. Please report when you have time.
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and upon which it is impossible to remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Offline Alberich

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #8905 on: September 20, 2018, 06:38:06 AM »
You're in for a treat. Please report when you have time.

Will do.  :)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #8906 on: September 20, 2018, 08:19:22 AM »
Well, left a post a few months ago - now on another half dozen books (tend to mix physical & e-books):

Click Here To Kill Everybody - Bruce Schneier (2018) - security in today's world of the 'Internet of Things' - scary read so far!
Fear - Bob Woodward (2018) - bought on Apple's Books - Susan & I both reading - yet another scary book!
History of Jazz, The - Ted Gioia (2011 - 2nd ed) - had the first edition - missed this one until now - just starting in paperback.
Rome: A History in Seven Sackings - Matthew Kneale (2018) - major sacks of Rome from before Caesar to WW II.
Something Wonderful - Todd Purdum (2018) - just finished - excellent read (covers Hart, too) - MUST for musical show lovers!
Walls: A History of Civilization in Blood & Bricks - David Frye (2018) - just started on Kindle app - should be good.  Dave :)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #8907 on: Today at 01:47:03 AM »
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8908 on: Today at 02:03:11 AM »