Author Topic: Today's Purchases (Non-classical)  (Read 156875 times)

Ataraxia

Re: Today's Purchases (Non-classical)
« Reply #1560 on: March 25, 2012, 05:31:44 AM »
That album is a cute idea. How's the execution IYO, dude?  I'm not buying his 'Look, if I don't do it now, I'll never do it', which sounds too PR/sound bite-ish.  Maybe the years have just cynicised me towards Sir Paul, Workingclass Reverse Snob . . . .

I have not listened. I'm saving it for the right mood.  :)

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ćnigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1561 on: March 25, 2012, 05:32:01 AM »
BTW, it's album art like that which starts the Paul has got one wooden leg rumors . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ataraxia

« Reply #1562 on: March 25, 2012, 10:59:05 AM »

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
    Beethoven, Berlioz, Couperin, Debussy, Haydn, Lully, Rameau, Ravel
« Reply #1563 on: March 27, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
Should be an interesting read when it arrives:

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
    Rihm, Bialas, Ballif, Schumann, Schubert
« Reply #1564 on: March 27, 2012, 04:15:07 PM »

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #1565 on: March 27, 2012, 10:35:34 PM »

Thanks for that. Simply had to order it! Of course it all snowballed until the order contained 5 books on France and Paris.

Offline chasmaniac

• Im Anfang war die Cat!
    • The Savage Breast
    something... else!
« Reply #1566 on: March 28, 2012, 02:12:11 AM »
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
« Reply #1567 on: March 28, 2012, 07:26:42 AM »
Received yesterday these CDs:

Carly Simon: Spy
Carly Simon: Christmas Is Almost Here (Again)
Tangerine Dream: Booster V
Tangerine Dream: Mona Da Vinci cupdisc
Tangerine Dream: Machu Picchu cupdisc + a card with Edgar Froese's autograph!  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening. Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural and less tiresome in headphone listening.

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
    Rihm, Bialas, Ballif, Schumann, Schubert
« Reply #1568 on: March 28, 2012, 09:44:48 AM »
Thanks for that. Simply had to order it! Of course it all snowballed until the order contained 5 books on France and Paris.

n__n I got through the first few chapters today, it's super neat. I almost wish it had more photographs (there are only a couple) - they are quite haunting.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
« Reply #1569 on: March 29, 2012, 05:10:04 AM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937)
    Ravel, Bartók, Stravinsky, Poulenc
« Reply #1570 on: March 29, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »

Classic recording. I own every recording Evans made from the very beginning to the end. He's simply one of the most engaging jazz musicians I've heard. He swings, he's lyrical and melodic, has a great harmonic language, and he's always tasteful. Enjoy the music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
« Reply #1571 on: March 30, 2012, 02:16:44 AM »

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
« Reply #1572 on: March 30, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »
Classic recording. I own every recording Evans made from the very beginning to the end. He's simply one of the most engaging jazz musicians I've heard. He swings, he's lyrical and melodic, has a great harmonic language, and he's always tasteful. Enjoy the music.

I was first introduced to Evans through Kind of Blue (like most people, I suppose) and immediately found him fascinating.  I own The Last Waltz and Consecration so I've got his later work covered.  I heard the three disc Village Vanguard recordings a while back and loved them and considered ordering that, but I felt it would be biting off a bit more than I can chew musically right this second, so I decided to save it for ordering in a couple of weeks.  I also own Moonbeams and Undercurrent but the tubby sound and all ballad thing on Moonbeams isn't clicking with me right now, and I wanted to hear Evans in a trio format so Undercurrent is out for serious listening.  I suppose you could say I have something of a love/hate relationship with Evans, but I thing that 'hate' is a bit strong.  Sometimes he clicks with me, sometimes he doesn't, but when he does it is pure magic.  I've never heard Portrait in Jazz so it seemed like a good point for restarting my journey with Evans.

Thread duty: 

:)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1573 on: March 30, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »
I was first introduced to Evans through Kind of Blue (like most people, I suppose) and immediately found him fascinating.  I own The Last Waltz and Consecration so I've got his later work covered.  I heard the three disc Village Vanguard recordings a while back and loved them and considered ordering that, but I felt it would be biting off a bit more than I can chew musically right this second, so I decided to save it for ordering in a couple of weeks.  I also own Moonbeams and Undercurrent but the tubby sound and all ballad thing on Moonbeams isn't clicking with me right now, and I wanted to hear Evans in a trio format so Undercurrent is out for serious listening.  I suppose you could say I have something of a love/hate relationship with Evans, but I thing that 'hate' is a bit strong.  Sometimes he clicks with me, sometimes he doesn't, but when he does it is pure magic.  I've never heard Portrait in Jazz so it seemed like a good point for restarting my journey with Evans.

Interesting that Moon Beams hasn't clicked for you yet. It's probably my favorite Evans album if truth be told. I do dig his trio with Motian and Lafaro though but what respectable jazz fan wouldn't? Moon Beams signifies the heartbreak Evans felt after Lafaro's death, so you could say it's one of his most personal albums. It connected with me instantly but this may be because I was already coming from a heavy Evans diet having heard albums like Portrait In Jazz, Waltz For Debby, Explorations, Sunday At The Village Vanguard, and Everybody Digs Bill Evans. When I heard Moon Beams, it was a completely different experience for me. It felt like I was listening to someone bear his soul to the world, which he was. It took Evans a year to record this album, which is pretty unheard of for a jazz musician not to record anything for such an extended period of time.
"Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
« Reply #1574 on: March 31, 2012, 03:27:12 AM »
Interesting that Moon Beams hasn't clicked for you yet. It's probably my favorite Evans album if truth be told. I do dig his trio with Motian and Lafaro though but what respectable jazz fan wouldn't? Moon Beams signifies the heartbreak Evans felt after Lafaro's death, so you could say it's one of his most personal albums. It connected with me instantly but this may be because I was already coming from a heavy Evans diet having heard albums like Portrait In Jazz, Waltz For Debby, Explorations, Sunday At The Village Vanguard, and Everybody Digs Bill Evans. When I heard Moon Beams, it was a completely different experience for me. It felt like I was listening to someone bear his soul to the world, which he was. It took Evans a year to record this album, which is pretty unheard of for a jazz musician not to record anything for such an extended period of time.

Interesting perspective.  I don't doubt that I'll click with Moonbeams in time, but I haven't been in an all ballads mood as of late.

By the way, are you familiar with Ahmad Jamal's Live At the Pershing?  Essential stuff.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1575 on: March 31, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Interesting perspective.  I don't doubt that I'll click with Moonbeams in time, but I haven't been in an all ballads mood as of late.

By the way, are you familiar with Ahmad Jamal's Live At the Pershing?  Essential stuff.

Yeah, I don't really like Ahmad Jamal too much. Give me Monk, Evans, Peterson, Red Garland, Hampton Hawes, Bud Powell any day over Jamal.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
« Reply #1576 on: March 31, 2012, 11:13:25 PM »
It was about time to purchase these two discs...

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening. Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural and less tiresome in headphone listening.

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
« Reply #1577 on: April 03, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
« Reply #1578 on: April 08, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:19:29 PM by Geo Dude »

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #1579 on: April 08, 2012, 01:42:08 PM »
I've wanted these for a while (Lennie Nieuhaus). Not sure why I waited so long, as I've played many of these pieces in one form or another...

Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK