The Back Room > The Diner

Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

<< < (322/539) > >>

George:

--- Quote from: eyeresist on May 02, 2012, 10:41:49 PM ---I picked up some Portishead CDs yesterday, and was delighted to find I actually get more out of this music than I did 20 years ago. Especially with the live CD you realise how capable the musicians are, and how well crafted are the songs. Now I just need to get their self-titled second album to complete the set. (I haven't listened to Third yet.)

--- End quote ---

Their third is incredible! I don't think I've heard their second album.

eyeresist:

--- Quote from: George on May 03, 2012, 05:50:22 AM ---Their third is incredible! I don't think I've heard their second album.

--- End quote ---
I picked up the second last night. It's in the same style as the first album, but unlike that one, which is solidly hit after hit, it's patchy and sometimes has a sense they are repeating themselves.
I listened to a bit of the Third this morning - very different to their old stuff! So far very dirgey, making me miss the rhythmic inflections of their earlier stuff.

George:

--- Quote from: eyeresist on May 03, 2012, 06:32:23 PM ---I picked up the second last night. It's in the same style as the first album, but unlike that one, which is solidly hit after hit, it's patchy and sometimes has a sense they are repeating themselves.
I listened to a bit of the Third this morning - very different to their old stuff! So far very dirgey, making me miss the rhythmic inflections of their earlier stuff.

--- End quote ---

The first one I loved instantly! The third took time to grow on me. I'd say give it time.

eyeresist:

--- Quote from: George on May 03, 2012, 06:46:49 PM ---The first one I loved instantly! The third took time to grow on me. I'd say give it time.

--- End quote ---

The last track I heard before I had to go to work had a good Can-ish vibe, so we'll see. I also picked up Beth Gibbons' solo album "Out of season" (not actually solo; co-written with a guy called Webb). That too is extremely dirgeful, but after a while I could take the music on its own merits. It is a depressing record though, almost literally: it reminds me of the time my doctor overprescribed me some pain killers, and I got to feel what it must be like to be a junky.

Geo Dude:
Books:

Music:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version