Author Topic: Today's Purchases (Non-classical)  (Read 239922 times)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
Re: Today's Purchases (Non-classical)
« Reply #3260 on: June 17, 2017, 07:12:19 AM »
Tríona....

The above purchase will mean absolutely nothing to 99.999% of the people on the planet and I do not normally post vinyl purchases [for some reason?] but this one is just a little different. I have been away for a few days and I came across a remarkable book and music shop in a most unexpected place. Unfortunately I did not have a lot of time to browse the sizeable vinyl collection on sale but it is a place which I will definitely return to for much more in depth investigation. Anyway the above was one of those personal WOW moments when one is idly skimming through the shelves or a bin. Tríona ní Dhomhnaill was a very talented traditional Irish singer who played a harpsichord and was very prominent in the 1970’s folk scene here in Ireland. She had a terrific and somewhat unusual voice which I particularly liked. She emigrated to the US and I lost contact with her music making as a result. Finding the LP was delightful and took me back a very long way to another place and time, as music has the power to do.

That's cool. Unexpected pleasures can often be the most special ones. :) And you've still the bonus of revisiting to explore the trove.  8)
The sight of her in a blue gingham dress could break your heart, but the way she looked out of the dress could make the same heart explode.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #3261 on: June 17, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »

That's cool. Unexpected pleasures can often be the most special ones. :) And you've still the bonus of revisiting to explore the trove.  8)

Cheers Nik. Quite true and I am really looking forward to revisiting this music  8)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • No One In The Whole Universe Will Ever Compare
« Reply #3262 on: June 19, 2017, 04:11:22 AM »
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #3263 on: June 19, 2017, 04:16:25 AM »
res severa verum gaudium

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #3264 on: June 22, 2017, 11:43:28 PM »
I’ve made quite a haul over the past week:

Almost all of them personal favourites of mine.  ???
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #3265 on: June 23, 2017, 08:42:42 AM »
Almost all of them personal favourites of mine.  ???

I must admit that I do not know the music of David Sylvian although I know of him. Where would be a good place to start? I will check out YouTube also.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK