Author Topic: Today's Purchases (Non-classical)  (Read 280521 times)

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
Re: Today's Purchases (Non-classical)
« Reply #3340 on: May 15, 2018, 02:37:36 AM »
Braga Santos and H.Andriessen will be turning in their graves!
 8)
Cannot check the Braga Santos, but Hendrik's grave looks serene.  ;D
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Musik fra den himmelske by
« Reply #3341 on: May 15, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
Have been playing the other albums over the last weeks (in my car) and am especially fond of The Hurting (1983) and Raoul and the Kings of Spain (1995). Avoided this one, as the obviously 'too commercial' success of the late 1980s, but will see if you're right.  8)

I never viewed Tears For Fears as ‘too commercial’. I think that’s an inappropriate label and it seems to suggest that they were sellouts, which couldn’t be further from the truth. Songs from the Big Chair despite having songs like Head Over Heels, Shout, and Everybody Wants to Rule the World (this album’s big hit singles), could still be viewed as an ‘experimental’ album of sorts. I will say I absolutely adore these hit singles from this album anyway as I somehow avoided the heavy radio play and appreciated them beyond the radio (as I always have with so many musical discoveries). The radio has always been a dead medium to me and never has it been something I relied on to find new music. I remember MTV back in the day when they actually played music videos and this was a more viable medium to me than simply listening to the radio and this is where I discovered Tears For Fears.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:02:15 PM by Mirror Image »
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3342 on: May 20, 2018, 08:16:54 AM »
Ae NTS sessions seconds after they appear. Album 3 + 4 next thursdays. People, at least fans are complete brainmelted. May be Ae's magnum opus.

Preordered the 8 CD boxset and downloaded 16 bit FLAC files (24 bit consumer audio is a scam and waste of memory.)

Boxset 45 € + 7.50 € for shipping = 52.50 € total. Delivery of the CDs late July it seems.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #3343 on: May 22, 2018, 03:35:24 PM »

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:39:49 PM by Mr. Minnow »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #3344 on: May 23, 2018, 07:28:38 PM »

Awesome! Let me know what you think of both albums.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #3345 on: May 24, 2018, 04:03:23 PM »
Awesome! Let me know what you think of both albums.

Not sure how quickly I'll get round to them as I already have an absurd number of discs I haven't played yet, but I'm hoping that these two turn out to be similar in quality to the Toronto double CD. The reviews I've read suggest that that's the case, so unplayed CDs notwithstanding, I couldn't resist ordering these. I suspect I'll muster up equally little resistance to ordering the Chicago double CD too.

Just seen the upcoming Collectors Club editions listed on Amazon UK: half a dozen releases of gigs from Japan recorded in October 2000, nearly £50 each. Thank god I'm not a KC completist....

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #3346 on: June 01, 2018, 09:51:13 AM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #3347 on: June 01, 2018, 09:52:18 AM »
Not sure how quickly I'll get round to them as I already have an absurd number of discs I haven't played yet, but I'm hoping that these two turn out to be similar in quality to the Toronto double CD. The reviews I've read suggest that that's the case, so unplayed CDs notwithstanding, I couldn't resist ordering these. I suspect I'll muster up equally little resistance to ordering the Chicago double CD too.

Just seen the upcoming Collectors Club editions listed on Amazon UK: half a dozen releases of gigs from Japan recorded in October 2000, nearly £50 each. Thank god I'm not a KC completist....

Yes, I’m not a Crimson completist either, but definitely not going to purchasing those expensive discs.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3348 on: June 01, 2018, 11:45:52 AM »
Brian Eno - Another Green World

I think this is excellent.  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page