Author Topic: Today's Purchases (Non-classical)  (Read 135489 times)

DavidW

Re: Today's Purchases (Non-classical)
« Reply #1520 on: February 18, 2012, 08:03:31 AM »
Cool beans Erato! :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Pink Floyd
  • Currently Listening to:
    Genesis, Steve Hackett, Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd
« Reply #1521 on: February 29, 2012, 06:18:09 PM »
I didn't own this Woody Shaw recording so I picked it up. He's one of my favorite jazz trumpeters:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
    Bach, Bartok, Buxtehude, Debussy, Ives, Schoenberg, Shostakovich, Stravinsky
« Reply #1522 on: March 01, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »
Just received this, I didn't have it..... :-\

Stray Cat Blues is extremely exciting played loud.

Good thing you got it.  You need that album!

Thread duty:

Ordered this today along with some classical albums:

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #1523 on: March 02, 2012, 12:13:04 AM »
Good thing you got it.  You need that album!
It was the only one lacking from the series of essential Stones albums.

Offline Soapy Molloy

« Reply #1524 on: March 10, 2012, 05:09:12 AM »

Dave Brubeck
Original Album Classics (Time)

5-CD set featuring:
Time Out
Countdown: Time in Outer Space
Time Further Out
Time Changes
Time In

Been reminded lately by another poster's listening log that I have only a couple of these, and it's actually cheaper to buy the whole set than the individual discs that I'm missing.

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
« Reply #1525 on: March 10, 2012, 08:09:13 AM »
I didn't own this Woody Shaw recording so I picked it up. He's one of my favorite jazz trumpeters:

What's his playing style?  Hot, cool?  More traditional or more abstract?  If you were to recommend one or two albums, which would you recommend most strongly?

Thread duty:

I seem to have lost my two copies of Tonight's the Night on CD and the LP is of no use in the car, so I finally gave in and ordered a used copy off of Amazon for twenty four cents + shipping.  Feeling a Neil Young binge coming on I also gave in and ordered two of my favorite albums to go along with Tonight's the Night.  Now if only I could find my copy of On the Beach before I end up buying another one...

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Pink Floyd
« Reply #1526 on: March 10, 2012, 10:20:20 AM »
What's his playing style?  Hot, cool?  More traditional or more abstract?  If you were to recommend one or two albums, which would you recommend most strongly?

Sorry for the late reply, Geo Dude. Woody Shaw's style falls somewhere between hot/cool and his style depends all on the music he's playing and/or who he's playing with. He mostly falls in the bebop style. He's one of the more lyrical trumpeters of his time. He had a great sense of melody and his improvisations are always on a high level. Sometimes pretty daring harmonically. I would start with either Solid or Imagination. I recently listened to a little bit of In My Own Sweet Way and it's quite good as well, but I would definitely start with either of the albums I mentioned.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
« Reply #1527 on: March 10, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, Geo Dude. Woody Shaw's style falls somewhere between hot/cool and his style depends all on the music he's playing and/or who he's playing with. He mostly falls in the bebop style. He's one of the more lyrical trumpeters of his time. He had a great sense of melody and his improvisations are always on a high level. Sometimes pretty daring harmonically. I would start with either Solid or Imagination. I recently listened to a little bit of In My Own Sweet Way and it's quite good as well, but I would definitely start with either of the albums I mentioned.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I enjoy a lot of different types of jazz, but I have difficulty with some of the more abstract, free jazz material and also with machine gun players like Coltrane.  This guy seems right up my alley and I'll look into those two albums.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Pink Floyd
« Reply #1528 on: March 10, 2012, 11:30:36 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation.  I enjoy a lot of different types of jazz, but I have difficulty with some of the more abstract, free jazz material and also with machine gun players like Coltrane.  This guy seems right up my alley and I'll look into those two albums.

Yeah, I think you'll dig him, Geo. A young Woody Shaw can be heard on Horace Silver's Cape Verdean Blues recording which introduced me this truly great trumpeter.

Offline Henk

• Webspace of "Prince Free-as-a-Bird"
    Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Chopin, Rossini, Cimarosa, Paganini, Dvorak, Rautavaara, Atterberg, Stravinsky, Villa-Lobos, Parra, De Raaff, Sciarrino, Donatoni, Aperghis, Zwaag
« Reply #1529 on: March 10, 2012, 11:42:48 AM »

Check out this album. I think you will like it. I think it's one of the best albums in jazz ever. Very beautiful music. 

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:44:38 AM by Henk »
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." (Nietzsche)

Webspace of "Prince Free-as-a-Bird"

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Pink Floyd
« Reply #1530 on: March 10, 2012, 04:14:40 PM »
Check out this album. I think you will like it. I think it's one of the best albums in jazz ever. Very beautiful music. 

I'm quite familiar with Paolo Fresu. I have many of his recordings. Great trumpeter. His albums that did for Blue Note Records with a quintet were really enjoyable.

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
« Reply #1531 on: March 11, 2012, 05:52:19 AM »

Well, this is certainly more lush than what I'm used to in jazz, but the samples are fascinating.  It's been wish listed.

I'm quite familiar with Paolo Fresu. I have many of his recordings. Great trumpeter. His albums that did for Blue Note Records with a quintet were really enjoyable.

Care to name some of his quintet recordings that you enjoyed?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:56:37 AM by Geo Dude »

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
« Reply #1532 on: March 11, 2012, 05:01:15 PM »
After starting Calculus For Dummies and the accompanying workbook I realized that my TI-83 was out of commission, so I picked up an update on E-Bay:

TI-84 Silver Plus edition, $55 shipped.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Pink Floyd
« Reply #1533 on: March 11, 2012, 06:18:33 PM »
Well, this is certainly more lush than what I'm used to in jazz, but the samples are fascinating.  It's been wish listed.

Care to name some of his quintet recordings that you enjoyed?

I would just checkout his quintet albums on Blue Note:

Just to throw another name out there, checkout this album by trumpeter Tim Hagans:

Hagans is a trumpeter you have to watch out for he's very inconsistent, but this album I linked above hits all the right spots. 8)

Offline Henk

• Webspace of "Prince Free-as-a-Bird"
    Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Chopin, Rossini, Cimarosa, Paganini, Dvorak, Rautavaara, Atterberg, Stravinsky, Villa-Lobos, Parra, De Raaff, Sciarrino, Donatoni, Aperghis, Zwaag
« Reply #1534 on: March 12, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
Philip Roth - The Human Stain

I want to read something by Roth, and this novel seems to me one of his best.
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." (Nietzsche)

Webspace of "Prince Free-as-a-Bird"

Offline nico1616

« Reply #1535 on: March 12, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
After starting Calculus For Dummies and the accompanying workbook I realized that my TI-83 was out of commission, so I picked up an update on E-Bay:

TI-84 Silver Plus edition, $55 shipped.

Great price, and even a greater calculator.
As a maths teacher, I would never want to be parted from my TI84  :D

Nico
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

DavidW

« Reply #1536 on: March 12, 2012, 02:22:08 PM »
The 84 is what my students use, and after the latest firmware update is a fantastic calculator.  I personally use the 89.

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
« Reply #1537 on: March 12, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »
It's good to see some calculator appreciation! ;D

David, what do you teach?

DavidW

« Reply #1538 on: March 12, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
Introductory physics.

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
« Reply #1539 on: March 13, 2012, 04:04:35 AM »

Should be interesting...

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK