Author Topic: How YOU can Support GMG  (Read 31415 times)

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
How YOU can Support GMG
« on: April 04, 2007, 06:31:39 PM »
The GMG website costs almost US$2000 per year to run. There are server hosting fees, domain registration fees, hardware and software costs to pay for. It also takes up large chunks of my time to keep it online and running smoothly.

The forum is a labour of love for me. It will always be free to access, and never become a pay site. However, there are ways members can help offset some of the costs of the forum.

• Amazon
    You will notice a small banner for Amazon.com near the top of every page. I would ask that if you already buy your music, or any other items, from Amazon, please access Amazon by using these links. Amazon tracks the refering website (in this case GMG) and credits the site with a small commission on all items sold (currently about 6%). It costs you no more to buy from Amazon using this link, but that commission helps defray some of the costs of the forum.

Non-US members can use the flags to access the international versions of Amazon.

• Advertising
    Advertising pays for some of the costs of the forum. I have tried to limit the format and tone of the ads to minimise disruption to the layout of the forum page.

• Subscribing
    Another way to support the forum is to become a subscriber. All funds collected from subscriptions go into a specially-created account that directly pays for the costs of running the website.  By becoming a subscriber, you get rid of all advertising. That's right - subscribers see a clean forum sans ads. At the request of subscribers, the small Amazon link at top right remains for those that want to buy CDs from Amazon and still support GMG.

Subscribers also get a nifty "subscriber" icon below their username in their profile, a larger Personal Message storage box and a warm glow that they are directly keeping the forum going.

Simply click on the "Subscribe" tab in the top menu, and you will see all the subscription options. Payments are secure and processed through Paypal. You can choose to pay via your Paypal account, or if you do not have a Paypal account, you can pay via any credit card or bank account. Of course, subscriptions can be cancelled at any time.

Of course, I understand that not everyone can afford to subscribe or even have the inclination to do so. And that's fine too.

cheers
    Rob Lang
    GMG admin
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 08:23:42 AM by admin »
 Macs are better. They just are.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: How YOU can Support GMG
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 06:25:40 AM »
Here's a tip to offer the Amazon support every time you go to Amazon, whether it is from here or not: click your flag and go to Amazon. Select and copy the address in the bar at the top. Create a shortcut on your "Favorites" bar using this link as the address (it's really easy in Firefox). Then, any time you go to Amazon, it will include the "gmg" tail on it. Here is the link for the US:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/573448?tag2=goodmusicguideco

Since I buy there a lot, I hope it helps, even 6% worth. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline DanielFullard

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 05:59:45 AM »
I would definetly help out and use the Amazon links, I would also like to donate occasional money to the site. However, my financial position means I cant commit to a set amount every month but if you pas on your paypal address Ill do what I can.

Offline Keemun

• Veteran member
  • It's a cup of Keemun tea, of course.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 06:46:28 AM »
EDIT:  Post removed for a good reason, as it could be counterproductive.   :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 08:10:14 AM by Keemun »
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. ~ Ludwig van Beethoven

karlhenning

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 06:53:43 AM »
Here's a tip to offer the Amazon support every time you go to Amazon, whether it is from here or not: click your flag and go to Amazon. Select and copy the address in the bar at the top. Create a shortcut on your "Favorites" bar using this link as the address (it's really easy in Firefox). Then, any time you go to Amazon, it will include the "gmg" tail on it. Here is the link for the US:

8)

Thanks for this, Gurn!

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
    Rihm, Bialas, Ballif, Schumann, Schubert
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 07:22:28 AM »
EDIT: Post removed for a good reason, as it could be counterproductive. :P
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 08:14:32 AM by Lethe »
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mark

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 08:08:41 AM »

8)

Superb idea. Implementing it now ...

George

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 08:11:39 AM »

8)

I did that and it keeps switching on me. It stays the same for awhile, but then changes with me changing it.  :(

I am using Firefox, BTW.

The latest one that it comes up with is: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=573448

I just switched it back, hopefully it stays put this time.

BTW, Gurn, did the URL address change when amazon "remodeled?"

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 08:14:42 AM by George »

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 03:12:20 PM »
I did that and it keeps switching on me. It stays the same for awhile, but then changes with me changing it.  :(

I am using Firefox, BTW.

The latest one that it comes up with is: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=573448

If you use Gurn's link, Amazon will track all further sales during that sessions and credit GMG with about 6%. You will notice that Amazon will redirect and the URL will change, however, the goodmusicguideco tag is still tracked from that moment on, until you leave the Amazon site.

cheers, and many thanks
Rob
 Macs are better. They just are.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »

I am using Firefox, BTW.

George,
Using Firefox, I made a button on the shortcut bar right below the address bar. If you right-click this button, on the menu will be "Properties". Click that and the address that the button points to will be right there. Highlight that address, and then paste the link address I gave you into that box. From then on, it will always go to the Classical Music section, and put the tail into the address header automatically. You can tell if it ever changes because when you go to Amazon normally, it doesn't go to the Classical Music page. Mine has been this way for like 2 years and has never changed. Bought lots of CD's in the last 2 years, too. :D

8)

----------------
Now playing: Khachaturian Concertos BIS719-Mats Lidström - Mats Lidström - Concerto for Cello and Orchestra in e 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato

karlhenning

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 07:36:08 AM »
If you use Gurn's link, Amazon will track all further sales during that sessions and credit GMG with about 6%. You will notice that Amazon will redirect and the URL will change, however, the goodmusicguideco tag is still tracked from that moment on, until you leave the Amazon site.

Just availed myself of the Gurnly link, Rob, though today, a very modest purchase  :)

Offline sospiro

Opera
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 09:35:48 AM »

8)

Done

I deleted existing Amazon.co.uk favourite, clicked on the appropriate flag & copied & pasted new link into favourites (Firefox). I will keep checking to make sure the link still contains the words 'goodmusicguide'
Annie

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 09:40:59 AM »
Done

I deleted existing Amazon.co.uk favourite, clicked on the appropriate flag & copied & pasted new link into favourites (Firefox). I will keep checking to make sure the link still contains the words 'goodmusicguide'

Thanks. It is a modest but cumulative sum, and every bit helps. :)

8)

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »
Thanks. It is a modest but cumulative sum, and every bit helps. :)

8)

Ok, I'm now using the GMG Amazon bookmark. Now, here's a question...how do I subscribe? I don't see any menu item for this.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

DavidW

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 01:59:03 PM »
     Ok, I'm now using the GMG Amazon bookmark. Now, here's a question...how do I subscribe? I don't see any menu item for this.

Profile info--> actions--> paid subscriptions. 8)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 02:00:50 PM »

Click "Profile > Summary > Paid Subscriptions (on the left sidebar)". There you will see a selection of choices and explanation of them. I already subscribe so I'm not sure if I see exactly what you do, but I think you will see a button called "Order".  Thanks for considering this. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
State Orchestra Frankfurt / Athinäos - Czerny Op 781 Symphony #2 in D 1st mvmt - Andante maestoso ma con moto

DavidW

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »
I think after that if I recall you just select from silver, gold etc and then order and WAIT. ;D  Rob will give you special privileges when he gets around to checking gmg and sees that there is a new subscriber. :)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »
I think after that if I recall you just select from silver, gold etc and then order and WAIT. ;D  Rob will give you special privileges when he gets around to checking gmg and sees that there is a new subscriber. :)

Well, he's back in Australia now, so it takes ages for information just to get there! In fact, they were debating recently on accepting the 20th century as le temps du jour...  ;D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
State Orchestra Frankfurt / Athinäos - Czerny Op 781 Symphony #2 in D 3rd mvmt - Scherzo: Molto vivace

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »
Click "Profile > Summary > Paid Subscriptions (on the left sidebar)". There you will see a selection of choices and explanation of them. I already subscribe so I'm not sure if I see exactly what you do, but I think you will see a button called "Order".  Thanks for considering this. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
State Orchestra Frankfurt / Athinäos - Czerny Op 781 Symphony #2 in D 1st mvmt - Andante maestoso ma con moto

Can I borrow some money? I'll pay you back when my shrimp boat comes back from the Gulf.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:45:46 PM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 03:00:16 PM »
      Can I borrow some money? I'll pay you back when my shrimp boat comes back from the Gulf.

We'll sell the oil and make millions! :o  Maybe get Stewie to handle it for us... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Marsolais (Horn) / Jalbert (Piano) - Czerny Op. Posth. Andante e Polacca for Horn & Piano 1st mvmt - Andante

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK