Author Topic: How YOU can Support GMG  (Read 31185 times)

George

Re: How YOU can Support GMG
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »
Here's a tip to offer the Amazon support every time you go to Amazon, whether it is from here or not: click your flag and go to Amazon. Select and copy the address in the bar at the top. Create a shortcut on your "Favorites" bar using this link as the address (it's really easy in Firefox). Then, any time you go to Amazon, it will include the "gmg" tail on it. Here is the link for the US:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/573448?tag2=goodmusicguideco

Since I buy there a lot, I hope it helps, even 6% worth. :)

8)

Has that link changed? When I use it I get:

The Classical Music Store has moved!

›Click here to visit the new Classical Music Store

and when I "click here" I get this link:
http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Music/b/ref=amb_link_7098402_1?ie=UTF8&node=85&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=03CP8TFYYJBK1T9JDTKM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=410959801&pf_rd_i=573448

(No GMG in it)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 04:31:38 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Music/b/ref=amb_link_7098402_1?ie=UTF8&node=85&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=03CP8TFYYJBK1T9JDTKM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=410959801&pf_rd_i=573448

(No GMG in it)

I don't know, George. Maybe Rob will chime in here and bring us up to date.  :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Marsolais (Horn) / Jalbert (Piano) - Czerny Op. Posth. Andante e Polacca for Horn & Piano 2nd mvmt - Polacca
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 04:36:08 PM »

(No GMG in it)

Don't copy the link from the post, copy the link from the flag! The link in the post get's older whilst the flag link remaineth fresh as newmown hay or some shit.

What I did?...I right-clicked the flag and "copy link address" (that's Chrome-speak) then I went to my browsers bookmark manager and right-clicked the Amazon bookmark to select "Edit" and pasted the flag URL in the Amazon URL box. Now it points to the correct page.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:40:08 PM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 04:52:23 PM »
      Don't copy the link from the post, copy the link from the flag! The link in the post get's older whilst the flag link remaineth fresh as newmown hay or some shit.

What I did?...I right-clicked the flag and "copy link address" (that's Chrome-speak) then I went to my browsers bookmark manager and right-clicked the Amazon bookmark to select "Edit" and pasted the flag URL in the Amazon URL box. Now it points to the correct page.

Very good! And I must say, do it while you can, because part of losing the adverts as a subscriber includes losing the flags. I haven't seen them since we went to this version of Simple Machines... :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:
State Orchestra Frankfurt / Athinäos - Czerny WoO Symphony #5 in Eb 2nd mvmt - Andante sostenuto
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

George

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 07:18:32 PM »

Cool, thanks.

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 07:38:04 PM »
Okay, I'm now totally confused.  You've just overwhelmed my small store of geekery.
1)What Amazon link should I be clicking on?
2)What "flag" are you talking about and where do I find it?

George

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 05:04:14 AM »
Okay, I'm now totally confused.  You've just overwhelmed my small store of geekery.
1)What Amazon link should I be clicking on?
2)What "flag" are you talking about and where do I find it?

1. See 2.

2. Look below the last post in this thread, that's the flag/link you should click on. I can see three countries to choose from.

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 06:32:25 PM »
1. See 2.

2. Look below the last post in this thread, that's the flag/link you should click on. I can see three countries to choose from.

Oh, that one.  The one I see every time I open a thread....

:D

George

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »
Oh, that one.  The one I see every time I open a thread....

:D

;D

I know, I missed it for the same reason. When I see stuff that often, it becomes part of the background and I miss it.

Franco

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 04:26:50 AM »
That's good information to know - I too could not find the "flags" until I stopped ignoring what I thought was an ad at the bottom of the page.    I'll try to remember to use it next time I buy from Amazon.

karlhenning

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 07:06:55 AM »
1. See 2.

I used to see that . . . but I don't at present.

Franco

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 07:10:01 AM »
Does GMG benefit from any purchase from Amazon using the "flag" link - even third party marketplace sales?

karlhenning

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 07:11:07 AM »
Aye.

George

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 11:19:52 AM »
I used to see that . . . but I don't at present.

I think subscribers don't see it.

DavidW

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 11:26:17 AM »
You can also just click on Jens links, because he always includes the gmg tag in those amazon links. :)

Franco

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »
I replaced my bookmarked Amazon link with the one with the GMG code.

karlhenning

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »
I think subscribers don't see it.

Oh! That must be so.

You can also just click on Jens links, because he always includes the gmg tag in those amazon links. :)

I think it may be the same tag that I link to . . . .

Saul

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 04:25:21 PM »
The GMG website costs almost US$2000 per year to run. There are server hosting fees, domain registration fees, hardware and software costs to pay for. It also takes up large chunks of my time to keep it online and running smoothly.

The forum is a labour of love for me. It will always be free to access, and never become a pay site. However, there are ways members can help offset some of the costs of the forum.

• Amazon
    You will notice a small banner for Amazon.com near the top of every page. I would ask that if you already buy your music, or any other items, from Amazon, please access Amazon by using these links. Amazon tracks the refering website (in this case GMG) and credits the site with a small commission on all items sold (currently about 6%). It costs you no more to buy from Amazon using this link, but that commission helps defray some of the costs of the forum.

Non-US members can use the flags to access the international versions of Amazon.

• Advertising
    Advertising pays for some of the costs of the forum. I have tried to limit the format and tone of the ads to minimise disruption to the layout of the forum page.

• Subscribing
    Another way to support the forum is to become a subscriber. All funds collected from subscriptions go into a specially-created account that directly pays for the costs of running the website.  By becoming a subscriber, you get rid of all advertising. That's right - subscribers see a clean forum sans ads. At the request of subscribers, the small Amazon link at top right remains for those that want to buy CDs from Amazon and still support GMG.

Subscribers also get a nifty "subscriber" icon below their username in their profile, a larger Personal Message storage box and a warm glow that they are directly keeping the forum going.

Simply click on the "Subscribe" tab in the top menu, and you will see all the subscription options. Payments are secure and processed through Paypal. You can choose to pay via your Paypal account, or if you do not have a Paypal account, you can pay via any credit card or bank account. Of course, subscriptions can be cancelled at any time.

Of course, I understand that not everyone can afford to subscribe or even have the inclination to do so. And that's fine too.

cheers
    Rob Lang
    GMG admin
Rob,

I think that you should make this site into pay site, if you have some problems handling the fees associated with keeping this site online.

I went and looked around the members who actually subscribed, and I must tell you that I didn’t find anyone, maybe there are some, but I didn’t find them, and by the way that’s including me.

I believe the hesitation of some members is the cost of the membership, The Silver Subscriber comes out to be around $50 dollars a year. And that’s not so little considering that I personally actively pay every year for my own website and domain name and also pay every year to be a member of Deviantart.com.

Now DeviantArt has an interesting concept, it charges its members $25 dollars a year and it gives its members certain privileges that other ‘free members’ don’t enjoy. Things like been able to sell your artworks on their site, creating an individual artist’s page and a few other things that free members just don’t have.

Perhaps you can also use this kind of an idea to persuade members to join and contribute to the site:

1. Free members on GMG will only be able to access certain areas within the forum, but the Diner for example would be only for paying members.

2. The cost of a full member on GMG should be about $20 a year, and paying members will enjoy all the benefits that you listed above and full access throughout the site.

Its better to lower the price and get more members supporting the site, then keeping the price high, with the majority still thinking whether to join or not.

All you need is about 70 to 80 active full members , and that will generate between $1400 to $1600 and you can add the monies that will come from Amazon for those who really can’t even join for a fee of $20 a year, and that should solve the financial concern of the site.

I for one am willing to pay $20 a year if you’ll turn this site into a Pay Site.

Cheers,

Saul

Harry

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2010, 11:38:58 PM »
Its not possible to see paying members anymore, for the subscription notice under the avatar is gone, for quite a while now.
Rob will fix that obviously, but since he is very busy, that will take some time.

Saul

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
Its not possible to see paying members anymore, for the subscription notice under the avatar is gone, for quite a while now.
Rob will fix that obviously, but since he is very busy, that will take some time.

Yes, thanks for telling me, I was really surprised that no one was a subscriber, well now it seems that its not the case.
But my above suggestions still stand.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK