Author Topic: How YOU can Support GMG  (Read 31095 times)

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
Re: How YOU can Support GMG
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 03:25:25 AM »
Hello everyone. Sorry I have been away from the forum - I do check in every day or so to make sure it is up and running smoothly, but I have not had time to answer individual questions and concerns.

Regarding making GMG a pay site, the answer is no. GMG has and always will be free. The costs of running it are not really a "concern". The site is a labour of love and I don't mind paying for its hosting.

The subscription option is still available (its in your Profile), and subscribers do get 2 benefits - an unlimited PM inbox, and advertising is disabled. I have deliberately made the benefits of subscription fairly minor, as choosing to subscribe should be an act of support for the forum for those who can afford, rather than a way of getting extra privileges.

Unfortunately, the display of subscriber icons depends on a software plugin that is not supported by the current version of the forum. I do regularly check to see if the plugin has been updated, and will implement it as soon as it is, but no luck so far.

The Amazon links do need an update. For those who buy regularly at Amazon US, the link to use is This One

Thanks for everyone for their support.

cheers
Rob
 Macs are better. They just are.

George

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 03:28:21 AM »

The Amazon links do need an update. For those who buy regularly at Amazon US, the link to use is This One

cheers
Rob

Rob, that link doesn't work.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 05:14:00 AM »

Hm; was the flag at the bottom of the page working during the first week of June? :)
Regards,
Navneeth

MN Dave

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 10:10:25 AM »
GMG needs a t-shirt design.

Offline Maciek

• Ban them all!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »
Rob, that link doesn't work.

I think Rob accidentally pasted "http" twice. This One should work...?

George

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2010, 05:13:22 PM »
I think Rob accidentally pasted "http" twice. This One should work...?

Indeed it does. Thanks.  :)

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2010, 10:29:34 PM »
Can you get a similar arrangement with amazon.fr?   I've got a possible purchase list for them,  will wait to see if I can use your link.

Offline ajlee

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2011, 01:46:33 AM »
Just to confirm:

If I use the GMG amazon link to buy, I still have to buy from amazon.com---that is, not from any of the marketplace merchants---in order for GMG to get that 6%, correct??

karlhenning

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2011, 05:26:19 AM »
My impression is that any purchase made via the site (i.e., including third-party sellers) benefits GMG.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 02:06:57 AM »
Hmm, I've got about a $100 order ready on Amazon, but as a subscriber, I don't have any of the GMG banner links or flags. Does anyone know/have in their bookmarks the GMG Amazon UK link?

Also, when I follow a link to Amazon, is there any indication on-screen that I have successfully gotten my browsing into the GMG referral umbrella?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:10:20 AM by Brian »

Offline Szykneij

• Veteran member
  • Tony from Massachusetts
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 02:16:14 AM »
Hmm, I've got about a $100 order ready on Amazon, but as a subscriber, I don't have any of the GMG banner links or flags. Does anyone know/have in their bookmarks the GMG Amazon UK link?

Also, when I follow a link to Amazon, is there any indication on-screen that I have successfully gotten my browsing into the GMG referral umbrella?

Here's the link. All you need to do is log out for a minute and the links will be at the bottom of this page. I'm pretty sure the answer is "no" to your second question.

http://amazon.co.uk/o/redirect-home/goodmusicguid-21

edit: The Amazon/GMG URL will show in your address bar. You could always check with Rob to be sure GMG got the appropriate credit.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:26:56 AM by Szykneij »
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Brahmsian

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 05:06:52 AM »
On my previous order a few weeks ago on Amazon.ca, I tried to link all my purchases via GMG.  Nothing on my order though indicates that a portion of the dollar value of the order is going to GMG.  How do I tell (or is there even a way to tell) that my order actually did contribute to GMG?

Does anyone know?

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2011, 07:32:36 PM »
On my previous order a few weeks ago on Amazon.ca, I tried to link all my purchases via GMG.  Nothing on my order though indicates that a portion of the dollar value of the order is going to GMG.  How do I tell (or is there even a way to tell) that my order actually did contribute to GMG?

Does anyone know?

Unfortunately, Amazon keeps things quite secret. They only tell me what has been bought each month, but not by who or from which website they arrived from. I can post the sales that Amazon reported sold from my links for last month.

If you see the items there, then the links went through OK. If not, then for some reason the links didn't work.
 Macs are better. They just are.

Brahmsian

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2011, 05:21:15 AM »

Unfortunately, Amazon keeps things quite secret. They only tell me what has been bought each month, but not by who or from which website they arrived from. I can post the sales that Amazon reported sold from my links for last month.

If you see the items there, then the links went through OK. If not, then for some reason the links didn't work.

Excellent!  That means it went through and GMG got a portion of my purchases!  Thanks.  :)

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2011, 05:23:50 AM »
Excellent!  That means it went through and GMG got a portion of my purchases!  Thanks.  :)

Or that someone else bought the same stuff and at the same time as you did. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2011, 05:26:35 AM »

I saw the Tchaikovsky Liturgia, and I was sure you'd clicked, Ray!

karlhenning

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2011, 05:27:35 AM »
Rob: pirate Cyclops tooth?

Brahmsian

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2011, 05:40:08 AM »
I saw the Tchaikovsky Liturgia, and I was sure you'd clicked, Ray!

Karl, unfortunately, out of my whole order, the Tchaikovsky Liturgia is the one disc I did not receive (sent me the wrong product),and actually isn't available from whom I purchased from originally (ImportCDs.com)  >:D  So, I'll have to re-order it through someone else (perhaps Rarewaves) via Amazon.ca

karlhenning

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2011, 05:41:32 AM »
Oof.

Mn Dave

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »
I assume subscriptions are in place until cancelled or changed.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK