Author Topic: Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 2  (Read 5271 times)

Steve

Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 2
« on: April 27, 2007, 11:20:58 AM »
Leaving where a recent thread on Tchaikovsky's 1st Piano Concerto left off, let's post comments and reccomendations for this work- The Second Concerto. I recently heard a nice recording on Naxos, and in the hunt for another. Any thoughts?

Offline edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
Re: Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 2
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 11:29:17 AM »
I used to have Donohoe/Barshai on EMI, and thought it gave a very good account of the work (it, along with the Busoni concerto, seems to be one of those pieces that Donohoe really responds to). As a bonus, the solo violin and 'cello parts in the 2nd movement were played by Nigel Kennedy and (iirc) Lynn Harrell. I don't really know why I didn't replace it when it was stolen--probably it was oop at that point.

As mentioned in the other thread, too many recordings use Siloti's butchery cuts in the slow movement.

FWIW, I strongly prefer this work to the first concerto, and think it's a very underrated piece that deserves a repertoire position.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Steve

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 12:05:32 PM »
I used to have Donohoe/Barshai on EMI, and thought it gave a very good account of the work (it, along with the Busoni concerto, seems to be one of those pieces that Donohoe really responds to). As a bonus, the solo violin and 'cello parts in the 2nd movement were played by Nigel Kennedy and (iirc) Lynn Harrell. I don't really know why I didn't replace it when it was stolen--probably it was oop at that point.

As mentioned in the other thread, too many recordings use Siloti's butchery cuts in the slow movement.

FWIW, I strongly prefer this work to the first concerto, and think it's a very underrated piece that deserves a repertoire position.

At the very least, this deserves a position right along next to the 1st Piano Concerto as well. It just seems difficult to find a decent recording of this piece without those cuts.

m_gigena

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 01:29:12 PM »
Try Pletnev with Fedoseyev on Virgin. They play the original version.

George

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 03:33:35 PM »
Try Pletnev with Fedoseyev on Virgin. They play the original version.

If I recall, they play it well, too.

Steve

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 03:37:37 PM »
Anyone know where I might get my hands on this recording? I tried amazon- but unless I've entered something wrong, I see no results. I am eager to make a purchase of this concerto soon. The naxos recording has made me insatiable for more.   ;)

m_gigena

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 04:01:49 PM »
Anyone know where I might get my hands on this recording? I tried amazon- but unless I've entered something wrong, I see no results. I am eager to make a purchase of this concerto soon. The naxos recording has made me insatiable for more.   ;)

Do you mean, the Pletnev-Fedoseyev?

BorisG

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 04:31:12 PM »
Leaving where a recent thread on Tchaikovsky's 1st Piano Concerto left off, let's post comments and reccomendations for this work- The Second Concerto. I recently heard a nice recording on Naxos, and in the hunt for another. Any thoughts?

Pletnev/Fedoseyev.

George

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 05:08:16 PM »

m_gigena

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 05:18:26 PM »
The explosive Zhukov recorded the whole concertos also. Released in Melodiya I think.
The second was not bisected. (LOL, that last word always reminds me of Eric the Half a bee)

Steve

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 07:05:14 PM »
Well, thanks for the comments.

That's the one!  :)

I'll be sure to pick this one up!  :)

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 10:45:04 PM »
If I recall, they play it well, too.

They play it very well, to be exact.  8)

Offline op.110

• Wir betreten feuertrunken
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 11:30:42 PM »
I think this piece is probably one of the worst pieces written by Tchaik... garbage.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 12:47:40 AM »
I think this piece is probably one of the worst pieces written by Tchaik... garbage.

Yes, that's the problem - neither the 2nd nor the 3rd piano concerto is a success.
I have the Pletnev/Fedoseyev but I never listen to it.

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Guido

• Veteran member
  • 396 CCs
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 06:00:57 AM »
Whats so bad about it?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 08:53:39 AM »
Weirdly, a review on Amazon claims the Pletnev IS the "hatcheted Siloti" version (!??!?!). Far as I know, you'll find few better than Scherbakov's Naxos disc, but that's because I don't know very far...

Offline edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 09:00:42 AM »
Weirdly, a review on Amazon claims the Pletnev IS the "hatcheted Siloti" version (!??!?!). Far as I know, you'll find few better than Scherbakov's Naxos disc, but that's because I don't know very far...
At the time Pletnev originally came out, I think I remember a Gramophone recording saying it was cut, but much less drastically than the Siloti version.

Unfortunately, Gramofile is doing its two-dollar whore impersonation as usual and I can't check with it.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

m_gigena

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 10:16:49 AM »

My booklet reads
Piano concerto Nº 2 in G major Op. 44 (original version)

And the Andante marks 14:23.

Gilels/Maazel take 7:53 for the same movement. I'm pretty sure that's the butchered one.
Postnikova/Rozhdestvensky (1983) take 17:02. This is other one I suggest (but the 25 minute first movement may be a little dissapointing).

Steve

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 10:49:29 AM »
Is there a decent recording that hasn't been reduced to mash? Perhaps one that does not have the cuts? I'm rather new to this work. Does the naxos have those cuts?

George

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 11:23:24 AM »

From review in 3rd Ear Guide:

Pletnev plays the complete text, except for observing the composer's 16 bar cut at the end of the slow movement. He doesn't luxuriate as much as  in the first movement lyrical music. He gives the whole piece a rather nervous energy without tapping into the wonderful grandeur that Gilels and Maazel bring out of I. [Gilels and Maazel take all 5 of the cuts] Also, he and the conductor tend to make light of the big moments, the structural junctures of the first two movements. Quite a bit of Pletnev's grunting can be heard. Though invigorating and engaging, it comes as a disappointment after his electrifying No. 1. 

Penguin:

The Second Concerto brings comparably [as No. 1] commanding performances from Pletnev, but it also brings a small but unnecessary cut in the slow movement. It would be difficult to improve on the Third Concerto, which is characterized strongly and interestingly. The recording is very good but not in the demonstartion bracket. The performance of No. and the Concert Fantasy has all the qualities that we associate with Pletnev's remarkable pianism. They are high voltage accounts that are among the very finest of modern recordings in the catalog. The conductor and orchestra provide exemplary support.