Author Topic: Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 2  (Read 5445 times)

Steve

Re: Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 2
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 12:34:37 PM »
From review in 3rd Ear Guide:

Pletnev plays the complete text, except for observing the composer's 16 bar cut at the end of the slow movement. He doesn't luxuriate as much as  in the first movement lyrical music. He gives the whole piece a rather nervous energy without tapping into the wonderful grandeur that Gilels and Maazel bring out of I. [Gilels and Maazel take all 5 of the cuts] Also, he and the conductor tend to make light of the big moments, the structural junctures of the first two movements. Quite a bit of Pletnev's grunting can be heard. Though invigorating and engaging, it comes as a disappointment after his electrifying No. 1. 

Penguin:

The Second Concerto brings comparably [as No. 1] commanding performances from Pletnev, but it also brings a small but unnecessary cut in the slow movement. It would be difficult to improve on the Third Concerto, which is characterized strongly and interestingly. The recording is very good but not in the demonstartion bracket. The performance of No. and the Concert Fantasy has all the qualities that we associate with Pletnev's remarkable pianism. They are high voltage accounts that are among the very finest of modern recordings in the catalog. The conductor and orchestra provide exemplary support. 

Thanks, George, for the helpful reviews. If I have it correctly, the cuts on the Pletnev are the composer's own, whereas the 4 other cuts in the other performances were not of the composers intention. Based on this information- especially the ability for Pletnev to insert "nervous energy" into the phrasing without losing its structural soundness, really does seal it for me. It looks like I've found a great "1st choice" recording for this piece. I am however considering the Maazel for a nice comparision. Perhaps those cuts are appropriate? At the very least, I'll be purchasing two of these renditions. Thanks again.   :)

George

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 12:44:26 PM »

Thanks, George, for the helpful reviews. If I have it correctly, the cuts on the Pletnev are the composer's own, whereas the 4 other cuts in the other performances were not of the composers intention. Based on this information- especially the ability for Pletnev to insert "nervous energy" into the phrasing without losing its structural soundness, really does seal it for me. It looks like I've found a great "1st choice" recording for this piece. I am however considering the Maazel for a nice comparision. Perhaps those cuts are appropriate? At the very least, I'll be purchasing two of these renditions. Thanks again.   :)

No problem. I just gave Pletnev's #2 a relisten and was blown away by his power, virtuosity and romantic style.

The review book that I have holds that Gilels version as the greatest, so you won't be dissapointed there either.  :)

Offline edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 12:45:15 PM »
The Gilels has tempted me too, if only because it comes with Richter playing the 2nd Bartok concerto. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2007, 01:00:46 PM »
The Gilels has tempted me too, if only because it comes with Richter playing the 2nd Bartok concerto. ;)

I know I'll get it.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007, 06:52:01 PM »
The Naxos has the small composer's cut, but that's all (so say the liner notes).

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007, 12:20:26 AM »
I've heard good things about Kersenbaum/Martinon.

DieNacht

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 12:19:08 PM »
Definitely, definetly Farnadi/Scherchen. You have never had anything Tchaikovsky like it and you life will never be the same afterwards ... ;-)

Offline Marcel

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
  • Currently Listening to:
    8 piles of CDs--1) vocal works, 2) orchestral works, 3) big boxes, 4) chamber music, 5) concerti 6) chamber music, 7) artist focused issues, 8) solo instrumental works.
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »
Gary Graffman recorded the PC 2 & 3 with Ormandy & The Philadelphia Orch, and that's a good one.  Also the one of all three concerti by Viktoria Postnikova and her husband, Gennady Rozhdestvensky and the Vienna Symphony Orch is available on Newton Classics for $5.98 from Berkshire Record Outlet.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.