Author Topic: Georges Enescu  (Read 18968 times)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Georges Enescu
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2017, 02:37:52 PM »
Enescu is a composer that really hasn’t spoken to me yet, but I’m still trying. The only work I like right now is his Orchestral Suite No. 3, “Villageoise” and Rozhdestvensky recorded the best performance I’ve heard of this particular work.

Don't like Violin Sonata 3? How can't one? But I agree otherwise, a lot of Enescu seemed pretty Individualistic to me, and his melodies are mostly just not up my alley. But, when he becomes "pure music time", then he can be mysterious... I think it's the Piano Quartet 2 I'm thinking about, maybe the Quintet...

Boy, I tell ya, CPO and Chandos have YOUR number, buddy ;)... Ondine... tsk tsk :laugh:
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »
Don't like Violin Sonata 3? How can't one? But I agree otherwise, a lot of Enescu seemed pretty Individualistic to me, and his melodies are mostly just not up my alley. But, when he becomes "pure music time", then he can be mysterious... I think it's the Piano Quartet 2 I'm thinking about, maybe the Quintet...

Boy, I tell ya, CPO and Chandos have YOUR number, buddy ;)... Ondine... tsk tsk :laugh:

I’ll need to go back and listen to the Violin Sonata No. 3. Anyway, right now, Enescu isn’t a priority, but I’m sure I’ll swing back around to him at some point in the future.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2017, 01:01:27 AM »
My Enescu collection is a mixture of LPs - mainly Romanian ones - and CDs. Needless to say I don´t know all the music yet. There´s also a digital copy of "Oedipe" (including that strange Sphinx-scene) and the Piano Quintet, plus some scattered further recordings too.
I don´t have all the piano music or the earliest student symphonies, but that´s OK. The piano quartets probably also have better recordings elsewhere.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:37:01 AM by Turner »

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2017, 01:02:42 AM »
One of the most interesting items as regards historical recordings is an Everest LP with Lipatti and Enescu himself playing Violin Sonatas 2+3 - unusually moody and temperamental. There´s also a Constantin Silvestri recording of the Chamber Symphony.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:05:37 AM by Turner »

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »
The String octet is one of his best creations. Passionate music of high caliber.

Online kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2017, 01:37:22 PM »
The String octet is one of his best creations. Passionate music of high caliber.

+1 A truly remarkable work.

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2017, 02:29:16 PM »
+1 A truly remarkable work.

I fell in love with it two months ago. How I had not heard it before!

Online kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »
I fell in love with it two months ago. How I had not heard it before!

Interesting - I just heard it for the first time about two months ago as well ;D After listening I thought "what have I been missing all my life?"

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2017, 09:09:03 PM »
Interesting - I just heard it for the first time about two months ago as well ;D After listening I thought "what have I been missing all my life?"
Must investigate this one!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Rhymenoceros

« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2017, 11:41:27 AM »
I came across his Suite No. 2 in D, Op. 10 the other day.  I love the Bourree!  Keep playing it on repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=17m25s&v=N76nJzjUh8s&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2017, 07:21:53 AM »
got favorite romanian rhapsodies recordings?

Im(ns)ho, this is the best RR1 on record.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/fwxuMDxT9Dw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/fwxuMDxT9Dw</a>
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'automne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK