Author Topic: Leonard Rose  (Read 1427 times)

Dana

Leonard Rose
« on: February 17, 2008, 08:49:49 AM »
I've heard Leonard Rose on Beethoven's Triple Concerto with Istomin and Stern, which I enjoy very much. What other Rose gems are out there?

Offline Guido

• Veteran member
  • 396 CCs
Re: Leonard Rose
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:30:40 AM »
Rose is one of my absolute favourite cellists and falls in with Pierre Fournier as one of the 'Aristocrats' of the instrument (but I acually usually prefer his stuff). The two vital CDs to get are the two Sony releases - One of which is unfortunatly out of print. One has the Schumann, Saint saens and Lalo concertos (all absolutely superb) along with easily the finest version of Faure's Elegie that I have heard (this is the out of print one). Along with this the Dvorak concerto which was coupled with Isaac Stern's account of the Dvorak volin concerto - http://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Violin-Concerto-Cello/dp/B00000276R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1203269323&sr=1-1

Such incredibly beautiful, refined and and unmannered playing is rarely heard on record. Fantastic stuff.

Aside from this, the video of Leonard Rose and Glenn Gould which is on Youtube, is one of the finest music videos I have ever seen. They play Beethoven's 3rd cello sonata (A major)
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Offline MishaK

• Veteran member
    • Tonic Blotter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 09:55:20 AM »
Brahms Trios with Stern and Istomin. Pure gold as to the strings. Istomin I find somewhat wooden.

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 01:29:24 PM »
I think his Dvorak concerto is the best I've ever heard.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

BorisG

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »
Beethoven piano trios with Istomin and Stern.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 02:28:43 PM »
Rose is one of my absolute favourite cellists and falls in with Pierre Fournier as one of the 'Aristocrats' of the instrument (but I acually usually prefer his stuff). The two vital CDs to get are the two Sony releases - One of which is unfortunatly out of print. One has the Schumann, Saint saens and Lalo concertos (all absolutely superb) along with easily the finest version of Faure's Elegie that I have heard (this is the out of print one). Along with this the Dvorak concerto which was coupled with Isaac Stern's account of the Dvorak volin concerto ....

Yes, mine too. Perhaps a different Sony release of the first one you mention (and also possibly OOP, although I don't think so) has the Lalo and that great Fauré, coupled with Tchaikovsky's "Rococo Variations" and one of my 20th century favorites, Ernest Bloch's "Schelomo". All with the Philadelphians/Ormandy. This is a disk to have. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Etienne Méhul - Complete Fortepiano Sonatas - Brigitte Haudebourg - Op 1 #2 Sonata in c for Fortepiano 2nd mvmt - - Menuet - Trio
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 02:37:29 PM »
What other Rose gems are out there?

Bought the LPs thirty-five years ago and now own the CDs too. Great performances.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Guido

• Veteran member
  • 396 CCs
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 03:03:36 PM »
Oh yes his Bloch is absolutely fantastic (there was even a video at one point), and there are so many great chamber things to mention. Basically everything is rewarding.

I pretty much agree with the Dvorak recording being my favourite (though Rostropovich/Karaja and Casals are right up there too of course). It was this recording that made me truly love classical music and alerted me to the incredible possibilities that it offers. For this reason it has a special place in my heart. The nostalgia I feel for that summer when I was 13 is centered around this experience.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Offline val

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 01:52:34 AM »
One moment is enough to show the greatness of Leonard Rose: his phrasing of the main motiv of Beethoven's Andante Cantabile of the Trio opus 97.

But in general his recordings of Beethoven's Piano Trios with Stern and Istomin, even more than those they made of Schubert and Brahms, seem to me a sort of ideal interpretation.

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 09:16:18 AM »
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 01:20:13 PM »
Did you write that review? If so, thank you for not writing "principle cellist".

Anyway, it looks like a great set. I am actually looking for some of the original LPs. I find his playing far more engaging than that of his student Yo Yo Ma. Too bad he never recorded the Bach Suites.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 03:57:49 PM »
Did you write that review? If so, thank you for not writing "principle cellist".

Anyway, it looks like a great set. I am actually looking for some of the original LPs. I find his playing far more engaging than that of his student Yo Yo Ma. Too bad he never recorded the Bach Suites.

Nope - not me. It's a guy that focuses on the specifics of box releases. Quite useful.

Yes, I wish he recorded more as well....   :'(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 11:51:51 PM »
Expect the price to drop to about $26. That is how much it is at my local store (here in Taiwan).  The last thing I need is another excellent box, but this is pretty tempting--and reasonable...
It's all good...