Author Topic: Eduard Tubin (1905-82)  (Read 24663 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Eduard Tubin (1905-82)
« Reply #240 on: May 11, 2017, 07:55:13 AM »
Wunderbar! 8)
The opening of the Fourth Symphony, especially in the Jarvi/BIS recording, is one of my favourite moments in Tubin's music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2017, 04:57:31 AM »
The opening of the Fourth Symphony, especially in the Jarvi/BIS recording, is one of my favourite moments in Tubin's music.

It’s quite gorgeous indeed.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Online kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »
Prior to tonight, I had listened to Tubin's Symphonies 1, 4, 5, and 9 - enjoying but not being particularly thrilled by them (though I love the inspiriting finale of the 4th and the defiant ending of the 5th). But tonight, I listened to his Symphony no. 2 The Legendary, an absolutely extraordinary work which is causing me to radically rethink my opinion of Tubin's music. This work has some of the most captivating orchestration I've ever heard - there's prominent use of orchestral piano (I'm always a sucker for that) and significant violin and viola solos. The opening is deeply atmospheric - legendary indeed. The slow movement is an inexorable funeral march which paves the way for the epic finale, which contains some absolutely gripping music. In short, this work was a great discovery for me :)

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2017, 04:33:49 AM »
No.2 is definitely one of the ones that is able to make a big, immediate impression. From my one listen to the cycle I think I was also quite taken with some of the later ones, but the 2nd seems to be one that consistently gets good reactions.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Online kyjo

« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2017, 07:37:19 AM »
I think part of the reason I liked the Tubin 2nd so well is that some passages reminded me of my beloved Atterberg at his darkest and most tempestuous (e.g. the Storm movement of his 3rd Symphony and the outer movements of his 5th). Also, the prominent use of orchestral piano is a distinctive commonality between the two composers.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #245 on: October 21, 2017, 12:18:52 AM »
I think part of the reason I liked the Tubin 2nd so well is that some passages reminded me of my beloved Atterberg at his darkest and most tempestuous (e.g. the Storm movement of his 3rd Symphony and the outer movements of his 5th). Also, the prominent use of orchestral piano is a distinctive commonality between the two composers.

Yes, I can see this Kyle. The very first CD I bought (even before I owned a CD player!) was of Tubin's Second Symphony 'The Legendary' and Symphony 6 on BIS. I think that I'd heard No.2 on LP. It is possibly my favourite of the cycle - very exciting, powerful and moving although I greatly admire No.3 (I don't agree with Robert Layton that the final movement is 'bombastic') and also nos. 1,4 and especially the slow movement of 5 as well as No.10. Apparently No.6 is the most often played - I enjoy it but not as much as the others I have mentioned. Layton reckons that No.8 is Tubin's 'masterpiece' but I rate the ones I have mentioned higher.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Online kyjo

« Reply #246 on: November 03, 2017, 08:26:09 PM »
Was just listening to Tubin's 6th and enjoying it greatly. It's a thunderous, percussive score that is given a sleazy, jazzy edge by the prominent use of a solo saxophone (Tubin seemed to pick up some tips from RVW's Symphonies 6 and 9 and Job in this regard). Rather unexpectedly, the symphony ends quietly and movingly with a magical string chord.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2017, 11:12:59 PM »
Was just listening to Tubin's 6th and enjoying it greatly. It's a thunderous, percussive score that is given a sleazy, jazzy edge by the prominent use of a solo saxophone (Tubin seemed to pick up some tips from RVW's Symphonies 6 and 9 and Job in this regard). Rather unexpectedly, the symphony ends quietly and movingly with a magical string chord.
Must listen to it again as it isn't currently one of my favourites. Interesting point about the saxophones and VW connection Kyle.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #248 on: November 05, 2017, 07:14:43 AM »
Yes,let's hear it for Tubin's Sixth. It has always been one of my favourite Tubin symphonies. Indeed,only second to Tubin's Second,ever since I heard it,and recorded it (and the Second) off air on my portable radio cassette recorder,back in the  mid 1980's (the Second,anyway). I even kept the,still playable,cassette tapes. The recording of the Second being my oldest,extant,cassette recording! They make a wonderful pairing,on that Bis cd.

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #249 on: November 05, 2017, 12:24:17 PM »
Yesterday I was playing the Symphony 3. Simply, I can't remove from my mind that great melody that characterizes the 1st movement! I think it does honor the subtitle of this work 'Heroic'. It's really inspiring and blissful!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2017, 12:53:47 PM »
Yesterday I was playing the Symphony 3. Simply, I can't remove from my mind that great melody that characterizes the 1st movement! I think it does honor the subtitle of this work 'Heroic'. It's really inspiring and blissful!
One of my favourites too Caesar.

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2017, 02:13:38 PM »
One of my favourites too Caesar.

Very nice! I consider the symphonies 2 to 6 the real meat of his symphonic output.

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #252 on: November 05, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »
Very nice! I consider the symphonies 2 to 6 the real meat of his symphonic output.

Absolutely!

But as us rib lovers know, some of the most delicious meat are to be found between the bones...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK