Author Topic: Eduard Tubin (1905-82)  (Read 33128 times)

Offline relm1

Re: Eduard Tubin (1905-82)
« Reply #260 on: July 11, 2018, 02:53:17 PM »
Yes, I like that feature of Private Eye. George Lloyd and Margaret Rutherford could also have been 'separated at birth'.

Margaret Rutherford at the top and George Lloyd below of course.   8)

Wait, you just posted the same picture twice!

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #261 on: July 11, 2018, 09:24:21 PM »
Wait, you just posted the same picture twice!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #262 on: December 20, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »
Finally managed to secure a copy of this set for a reasonable price. I like the Suite,coupled with his Fifth symphony. I just hope it's in the described condition ("very good")?!!

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #263 on: December 20, 2018, 09:37:49 AM »
I also bought the Alba recording of Tubin's Symphonies 4 & 7,because I find the applause on the Bis cd a bit annoying,and the Seventh is one of my favourites. It seems a nice combination. And without the intrusions! The Ninth,to date,is probably my least favourite. Not that I hate it. I just don't like it as much as some of the others. So,4 & 7 seems to make sense,to me. The review on Classics Today was a further incentive.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #264 on: December 20, 2018, 10:30:52 AM »
Kratt will delight you, cilgwyn! Undoubtedly a great purchase. It contains some of the most magical music Tubin ever composed.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #265 on: December 21, 2018, 10:10:25 AM »
I also bought the Alba recording of Tubin's Symphonies 4 & 7,because I find the applause on the Bis cd a bit annoying,and the Seventh is one of my favourites. It seems a nice combination. And without the intrusions! The Ninth,to date,is probably my least favourite. Not that I hate it. I just don't like it as much as some of the others. So,4 & 7 seems to make sense,to me. The review on Classics Today was a further incentive.

I much prefer 1 to 5 and 10 to the others.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #266 on: December 21, 2018, 10:59:32 AM »
My favourites are 2,6,5,3,7 & 10. I think 8 & 9 are the weakest,for me. The ideas seem less memorable. I like the Fourth,but I need to hear it without the disruption of the applause! How many time do I need to hear the same clapping sounds?!! ::) >:( ;D It disrupts the flow,for me! And I like No 7! I haven't quite made up my mind about No1! Not that I don't like it! It's been put on one side for another listen.
I must confess here,that I'm not a fan of live recordings! Not that I don't like any! I happen to think that Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony wouldn't be quite the same without the ambience created by an audience. I think partly because it's such a vast piece and such an event,when a performance does take place. I also like Etta James Rocks the House and Otis Redding at the Whisky A Go Go,and...............but that's for another thread!! ;D

Online Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #267 on: December 21, 2018, 11:02:08 AM »
Love them all (though didn't play them in recent times). Favourites Nos. 4, 6, 7, 8, perhaps 10.
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #268 on: December 21, 2018, 12:46:14 PM »
My favourites are 2,6,5,3,7 & 10. I think 8 & 9 are the weakest,for me. The ideas seem less memorable. I like the Fourth,but I need to hear it without the disruption of the applause! How many time do I need to hear the same clapping sounds?!! ::) >:( ;D It disrupts the flow,for me! And I like No 7! I haven't quite made up my mind about No1! Not that I don't like it! It's been put on one side for another listen.
I must confess here,that I'm not a fan of live recordings! Not that I don't like any! I happen to think that Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony wouldn't be quite the same without the ambience created by an audience. I think partly because it's such a vast piece and such an event,when a performance does take place. I also like Etta James Rocks the House and Otis Redding at the Whisky A Go Go,and...............but that's for another thread!! ;D
The problem there is that, in my view, the Jarvi performance of Symphony 4 is better than the one on Alba.

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #269 on: December 21, 2018, 12:48:41 PM »
Whenever I've tried listening to Tubin I've been repelled by all the damn noise, bass drums, cymbals, pots and pans, too much banging and clashing.
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #270 on: December 21, 2018, 02:12:43 PM »
Not all are like that. Then you should try the No. 4 Lirica, which is like his pastoral symphony. In this work I hear some reminiscences of VW. The Violin Concerto No. 1 is another good work. Also, the Sinfonietta on Estonian Motifs is very pleasant too, without the thunderous noise of other works.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #271 on: December 21, 2018, 03:12:06 PM »
Whenever I've tried listening to Tubin I've been repelled by all the damn noise, bass drums, cymbals, pots and pans, too much banging and clashing.

I do agree, Tubin’s orchestration can be a bit brass and percussion heavy, but I love it! :D In addition to the works Cesar suggested, also check out his Double Bass Concerto - certainly the finest work I’ve heard for the instrument.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #272 on: December 21, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »
The problem there is that, in my view, the Jarvi performance of Symphony 4 is better than the one on Alba.
Not according to the Hurwitz,it isn't! ::) ;D!! (see below) I also,find the decision to issue 4 & 9 as a live recording a bit eccentric;when all the others were studio recordings! It will be interesting to hear another recording of the Seventh,though. I  was only listening to this a few days ago,and I was thinking what a fine symphony it was and so concise. The Sixth is also one of my favourites. I listen to it and I think,this is grrrrr-eat.......why on earth doesn't vandermolen like this?!! :o ;D Although,I can see exactly why the Ghost of Baron Scarpia would (does!) hate it!! My template for the Alba recording of the Seventh will be the Jarvi recording. The Jarvi recording of the Fourth certainly has sweep and passion. I just wish they'd edited out those bloomin' clappers! I'm going to have to make a cd-r and edit the (Caution: asterix alert! And not the French cartoon character!)  b******* out! >:( ;D

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-7304/

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2018, 04:43:45 PM »
I also,find the decision to issue 4 & 9 as a live recording a bit eccentric;when all the others were studio recordings!

Because it was basically the first time any of Tubin's works got a hearing. It's not simply "let's throw a live recording in the middle of the series". These were the first ones recorded, and the fact they were even being performed was considered a big deal.

If you wanted consistency across the series, then they ALL would have been live.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 04:49:02 PM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #274 on: December 21, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »
Because it was basically the first time any of Tubin's works got a hearing. It's not simply "let's throw a live recording in the middle of the series". These were the first ones recorded, and the fact they were even being performed was considered a big deal.

If you wanted consistency across the series, then they ALL would have been live.
Oh,no! ::)

Online Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #275 on: December 22, 2018, 12:37:41 AM »
Only in those works where these 'noises' stand for the 'banality of evil' (Stalin's), comparable to Shosta 10. (I.e. especially symphony 6, but also 7 and 8).

Right. Also great to know: Tubin himself was present at the live recording of No. 4, Sinfonia Lirica, in Bergen (Norway).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:02:08 AM by Christo »
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #276 on: December 22, 2018, 03:32:55 AM »
That is good to know! :) I'm looking forward to hearing the Volmer recording,though. It will be interesting to hear a different account.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #277 on: December 22, 2018, 04:13:01 AM »
My apologies for being a bit on the fiery side, last night! The lager didn't help! Thank goodness I wasn't in a bar! I can just imagine a brawl erupting over my remarks about live recordings of Tubin;and knowing my luck,having to run for my life,out through the front door! ::) :(

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #278 on: December 22, 2018, 04:52:38 AM »
Not according to the Hurwitz,it isn't! ::) ;D!! (see below) I also,find the decision to issue 4 & 9 as a live recording a bit eccentric;when all the others were studio recordings! It will be interesting to hear another recording of the Seventh,though. I  was only listening to this a few days ago,and I was thinking what a fine symphony it was and so concise. The Sixth is also one of my favourites. I listen to it and I think,this is grrrrr-eat.......why on earth doesn't vandermolen like this?!! :o ;D Although,I can see exactly why the Ghost of Baron Scarpia would (does!) hate it!! My template for the Alba recording of the Seventh will be the Jarvi recording. The Jarvi recording of the Fourth certainly has sweep and passion. I just wish they'd edited out those bloomin' clappers! I'm going to have to make a cd-r and edit the (Caution: asterix alert! And not the French cartoon character!)  b******* out! >:( ;D

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-7304/

I do like No.6 just not one of my very favourites (2,4,3,1,5,10). It's one of the most confident of the symphonies whereas the ones I like have more nervous tension about them, which is something I always relate to.  I find the opening of No.4 much more moving on BIS than on Alba. I'd like to write more but have been instructed to help with the gardening.  >:D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 04:54:52 AM by vandermolen »

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #279 on: December 22, 2018, 06:35:38 AM »
I think I'll probably enjoy the Bis Fourth more after hearing the Alba recording?!! It will be interesting to hear another view,though! The Sixth seems more like Tubin in Khatchaturian mode! I find it both dark in mood,epic and viscerally thrilling by turns. It was also,the second Tubin symphony I heard,via a Radio 3 broadcast,around the mid 80's. Around the time I also heard a R3 broadcast of No2. I taped both on my radio cassette recorder. I was living in a guest house at the time,and allot younger! I kept both cassettes,for old times sake,because they were the oldest off-air tapes still in my collection & they still play! The cassette of No2 is dated 1985! It was a  good few years before I heard the others.
I find the eighth and Ninth  the most problematic. The ideas just don't seem to grab me,like the others. I played the First Symphony last night. I may have been in the wrong mood ::) ;D,but I just found the second movement a bit on the bombastic side,and felt compelled to turn it off! It is an early effort,though;and I will have another go!

PS:I hate gardening.........which is a good thing,considering there is concrete and tarmac in front of me,here! Maybe,I could have a go? I'll have a look on ebay and see if I can find a cheap pneumatic drill. I've always fancied a go on one of those things!

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.