Author Topic: Box Blather  (Read 90662 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Bach 333 anniversary from Universal Music
« Reply #880 on: October 09, 2018, 10:30:18 PM »
plus 3 hours of NEW RECORDINGS by Justin Taylor
This is intersting
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Ras

Re: Bach 333 anniversary from Universal Music
« Reply #881 on: October 10, 2018, 02:57:35 AM »
This is intersting

You need the damn box, Mandryka!
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Offline Ras

Re: Box Blather
« Reply #882 on: October 10, 2018, 02:59:44 AM »
Nej, det er ikke et problem.

So everybody here speaks Danish??  ::)
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #883 on: October 10, 2018, 03:18:00 AM »
So everybody here speaks Danish??  ::)

Just me and the Danes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #884 on: October 10, 2018, 05:51:29 AM »
Just me and the Danes.
Nej da, oss fjeldaber også!

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #885 on: November 26, 2018, 02:01:34 PM »
I think it might be a good idea to document some notes on the Big Boxes to force myself to listen more...and also to aid my aging brain in remembering what is worth hearing again...

SALONEN/SONY

Here's what I've heard so far:

1. CD Bach-Transkriptionen - Stokowski: Toccata & Fuge BWV 565; Elgar: Fantasie & Fuge BWV 537; Webern: Ricercare aus "Das musikalische Opfer" BWV 1079; Schönberg: Präludium & Fuge BWV 552; Mahler: Suite für Orgel, Cembalo & Orchester nach den Orchestersuiten Nr. 2 & 3. Gross. I hated every minute of this. To be fair, I think I skipped a couple, but the Stokowski and Elgar are just nauseating. Not my thing at all. Never again.

2. CD Bartok: Konzert für Orchester; Musik für Saiteninstrumente, Schlagzeug, Celesta. Only listened to the Concerto here. Very dry, droll, technically correct but not much fun.

7. CD Debussy: Images pour Orchestre Nr. 1-3; La Mer; Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune. This disc is really quite wonderful. Excellent all the way through.

9. CD Grieg: Peer Gynt op. 23 (Auszüge). Terrific. Really the only complaint could be that Solveig's Song is here in both the instrumental, solo, and a cappella reprise versions, which is pretty repetitive. But Barbara Hendricks kills it and the orchestra, unsurprisingly, plays this piece to the hilt. I love having a version that cuts out all the scenes of dudes talking. The Naxos version has the divine Inger Dam-Jensen and a real Hardanger fiddler playing a real folk fiddle, but it also has a whole bunch of boring bits where Norwegian dudes just blab and blab. (EDIT: It has come to my attention that Inger Dam-Jensen is not in the complete Peer Gynt on Naxos - she sings Solveig's songs on a separate "orchestral songs" CD coupled with the Peer Gynt concert suites.)

10. CD Haydn: Symphonien Nr. 22, 78, 82. I had low expectations for this but it's really wonderful. Salonen has a great ear for Haydn's sense of humor, especially. Would it be too late to ask him to record a few more of the symphonies? Especially Il distratto?

13. CD Hindemith: Symphonie "Mathis der Maler"; Die vier Temperamente für Klavier & Streichorchester; Symphonische Metamorphosen. I didn't enjoy the Four Temperaments but the other two pieces are really powerfully, boldly played and in spectacular sound.

14. CD Larsson: Gott in Verkleidung op. 24; Violinkonzert op. 42; Pastoral-Suite op. 19. God in Disguise is a super cool late romantic hidden gem! Loved the voyage of discovery that work is, with some really luminous passages that make me want to learn more about Lars-Erik. The Violin Concerto is drier, more modern, and more academic in a way that I don't much enjoy.

32. CD Nielsen: Symphonie Nr. 1; Petite Suite für Streicher op. 1. Background music while writing a few weekends ago. Seemed plenty good.

36. CD Nielsen: Symphonie Nr. 5; Tänze aus Maskerade. Maskarade isn't as wild and crazy as some readings and Symphony No. 5 comes across quite grim and dry.

40. CD Prokofieff: Violinkonzerte Nr. 1 & 2; Strawinsky: Violinkonzert D-Dur. Only listened to Prok No. 2 but it's with Cho-Liang Lin so of course it is fabulous.

44. CD Salonen: LA Variations; 5 Images after Sappho; Giro; Mania für Cello & Orchester; Gambit. I like some of the pieces more than others (my fave is probably Gambit), but this is of course a must-have.

46. CD Schostakowitsch: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1 & 2; Klavierquintett op. 57. With Yefim Bronfman. Excellent and essential.

48. CD Sibelius: Lemminkäinen-Legenden op. 22 Nr. 1-4; En Saga op. 9. Generally would rather spin the Mikko Franck disc with this program.

51. CD Strauss: Duett-Concertino für Klarinette & Fagott; Metamorphosen; Capriccio-Prelude. Excellent Richard Strauss album - another big surprise for me. Didn't realize Salonen had such a good Metamorphosen, but he and the Stockholm CO (see also: CD 10/Haydn) are intensely expressive.

60. CD Jolivet: Trompetenkonzert Nr. 2; Concertino für Trompete, Streicher & Klavier; Tomasi: Trompetenkonzert. Super fun. Between the Debussy and this, there should be more Salonen-Conducts-French.

61. CD A Nordic Festival - Alfven; Sibelius; Grieg; Leifs; Nielsen; Järnefelt. Entirely lovely and a charming encore. Well, okay, it was actually the first disc I popped in the player. But it's a nice little cherry on top of the box.

P.S. Compared to the usual snail's pace with which I get through Big Boxes, 16 CDs in just under 3 months feels like a really good effort!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:05:59 PM by Brian »

Offline JBS

• If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #886 on: November 26, 2018, 05:41:49 PM »
Oh dear! I love that Elgar transcription.
But I do have a soft spot for those "so wrong they are great" sort of things.

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #887 on: November 26, 2018, 06:11:45 PM »
44. CD Salonen: LA Variations; 5 Images after Sappho; Giro; Mania für Cello & Orchester; Gambit. I like some of the pieces more than others (my fave is probably Gambit), but this is of course a must-have.

Why is it of course a must-have?

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #888 on: November 27, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
Why is it of course a must-have?
Well, I guess I should clarify that it is a big deal for fans of contemporary music. A lot of the program is both "important" and actually good to hear. (Our own Senta is such a big fan of the LA Variations that once when she gave me a ride someplace she put it on blast in the car to make me listen...)

Personally my favorite Salonen compositions are on this DG CD -

But I do have a soft spot for those "so wrong they are great" sort of things.
For some reason I have a way bigger fondness for "so wrong it's great" in literature and movies than in music.

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #889 on: November 27, 2018, 03:09:34 PM »
Well, I guess I should clarify that it is a big deal for fans of contemporary music. A lot of the program is both "important" and actually good to hear. (Our own Senta is such a big fan of the LA Variations that once when she gave me a ride someplace she put it on blast in the car to make me listen...)

Personally my favorite Salonen compositions are on this DG CD -

For some reason I have a way bigger fondness for "so wrong it's great" in literature and movies than in music.

I have #44, and I think I even remember liking it. I also have your favorite DGG disc. I should listen to them again.
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #890 on: November 27, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »
SALONEN/SONY

Thanks for the report. 

I don't have much Salonen: some Lutoslawski (he's really good here), some Messiaen (ditto), and a Stravinsky disc (Pulcinella and the Octet, excellent).  I'm also fond of a pre-Sony disc of Berwald's Symphonies 3 & 4, which was my first encounter with these works.  I have to give that Haydn disc a listen.

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #891 on: November 27, 2018, 09:52:03 PM »
Well, I guess I should clarify that it is a big deal for fans of contemporary music. A lot of the program is both "important" and actually good to hear.

Thanks for the clarification. I heard the VC on the radio one time, and didn’t have the urge to go buy it. But I’m listening to some of the Sony disc on spotify.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.