Author Topic: Bach on the piano  (Read 78251 times)

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
Re: Bach on the piano
« Reply #660 on: August 18, 2019, 11:17:39 PM »
Greetings.  Just wondering if anyone's heard this?  Seems like an awful lot of marketing hype ("most significant Bach recording since Gould," etc.), curious if it's actually worth checking out...

I enjoyed it very much.  A welcome change from the usual turgid 'all the Toccatas', 'all the Suites', 'all the Goldberg Variations' collections.  But it's probably the sort of disc that is bound to disappoint if your expectations have been raised too high, by, for example, a string of glowing reviews.

I like everything he's done - it's not the only Bach he's recorded - there is a disc of Partitas 2 & 5, accompanied true to form, by the 24 Chopin Preludes.  And of course his collection of 10 of the Glass Etudes is a modern classic, even if he omitted a few of my favourites.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 11:22:45 PM by aukhawk »

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #661 on: August 19, 2019, 01:23:19 AM »
Greetings.  Just wondering if anyone's heard this?  Seems like an awful lot of marketing hype ("most significant Bach recording since Gould," etc.), curious if it's actually worth checking out...

Very good, indeed!

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #662 on: August 19, 2019, 03:20:42 AM »

I like everything he's done -

Have you heard the two “Bach Reworks” recordings? I’m not actually sure what I’m hearing, I can’t find any details online, whether they’re his ideas or someone else’s.

Here’s a confession, I find it really difficult not to be cynical about such sweet music. I know that tame sweet music has its uses in therapy and in hairdressers’ salons, but really, where’s the insight and the humanity? I guess he’ll make a bit of money from it, but I think it’s a pile of rubbish, touted shamelessly by DG.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:23:38 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #663 on: August 19, 2019, 04:03:28 AM »
Have you heard the two “Bach Reworks” recordings? I’m not actually sure what I’m hearing, I can’t find any details online, whether they’re his ideas or someone else’s.

Here’s a confession, I find it really difficult not to be cynical about such sweet music. I know that tame sweet music has its uses in therapy and in hairdressers’ salons, but really, where’s the insight and the humanity? I guess he’ll make a bit of money from it, but I think it’s a pile of rubbish, touted shamelessly by DG.
I was inspired to put it on today.
It's worth hearing but I don't find myself returning to it nor does it stick with me. I'll definitely listen to it again some day. But it's something to recommend to the people who complain Bach is stern, perhaps. The word anodyne comes to mind.