Author Topic: Naxos - Classics Today 10/10 ratings  (Read 6754 times)

Hector

Re: Naxos - Classics Today 10/10 ratings
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 07:07:53 AM »
I was surfing there American composer list and up popped Hohvaness' 22nd Symphony on radio with the composer conducting.

Promptly ordered it!

Sorry to be 'Artist led' on further recommendations but anything that Lloyd-Jones , Uwe Grodd, Enrico Batiz, Ossonce, Veronique Gens and nearly all the Scandinavians are worth a shot. These are brilliantly engineered, by the way.

Naxos has become indispensable for the serious music-lover and CD collector, God (if there is one, and I'm not saying there is) bless 'em!

Online The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 07:30:41 AM »
I have the new Rzewski on order.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »
Sorry to be 'Artist led' on further recommendations but anything that Lloyd-Jones , Uwe Grodd, Enrico Batiz, Ossonce, Veronique Gens and nearly all the Scandinavians are worth a shot. These are brilliantly engineered, by the way.
Can second some of these. I've never heard an Ossonce CD, but Enrique Batiz rocks in Respighi, Rimsky-Korsakov and "Latin American Classics" and Veronique Gens has an extraordinary voice. As for the Scandinavians, Havard Gimse is an exceptional pianist, Pietari Inkinen a highly talented conductor, and Petri Sakari has turned in some fine Sibelius tone poems, but the real gem is conductor Bjarte Engeset, who is bidding to become the most important Grieg conductor, well, ever. The first four volumes of his Grieg cycle are almost beyond criticism.

As far as artists go, I'd also like to add the young pianists Ashley Wass and Kotaro Fukuma, lutenists Robert Barto and Nigel North, the guitar maestro Norbert Kraft (who now works as a producer and engineer), string quartets Maggini, Fine Arts and New Zealand, the violinist Dong-Suk Kang (check out his Elgar and Saint-Saens), violist Roberto Diaz, and the artist who along with Jeno Jando has probably been associated with Naxos longer than anybody else - Maria Kliegel, whose unique cello tone puts off some but with which many listeners fall immediately in love. A whopping 60 of her 62 CDs are from Naxos.

DavidW

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 02:43:27 PM »
Brian mentions the Prokofiev Piano Concerti with Kun Woo Paik, and I agree the playing all round is excellent. But I was less impressed by the engineering: the sound does tend to clip a little when it peaks. This might not bother some, but it did me.

Oh hi Mark, welcome back. :)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!