Author Topic: Paul van Nevel and Huelgas Ensemble  (Read 335 times)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
Paul van Nevel and Huelgas Ensemble
« on: November 04, 2017, 11:29:56 AM »
I was looking at the large set, but am not willing to shell out 350 for 15 CDs at this point (probably never in fact!), so I bought the Utopia Triumphans disc on Sony, which has Tallis, Josquin, Ockegehm, et al. I have been enjoying this a lot. I have listened to a fair amount of Josquin's music in the past, but could never really get into it, however, this CD was a bit of an eye-opener. I am not sure whether it is due to his approach, the singers themselves (some of whom have really beautiful voices). I would like to get more of his recordings but there is quite a variety. What are your recommendations? Do you like his approach?
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
Re: Paul van Nevel and Huelgas Ensemble
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »
These are actually the only two discs I have from the group - rather embarrassing that I haven't got more yet, considering how well I like these - the Dufay is one of my favourite recordings of anything.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »
I was looking at the large set, but am not willing to shell out 350 for 15 CDs at this point (probably never in fact!), so I bought the Utopia Triumphans disc on Sony, which has Tallis, Josquin, Ockegehm, et al. I have been enjoying this a lot. I have listened to a fair amount of Josquin's music in the past, but could never really get into it, however, this CD was a bit of an eye-opener. I am not sure whether it is due to his approach, the singers themselves (some of whom have really beautiful voices). I would like to get more of his recordings but there is quite a variety. What are your recommendations? Do you like his approach?

the Gombert, and possibly the one called Febus Avant. I listened to some of the Ciconia recently but didn't enjoy it much. Do I like his approach?  I'm not sure, often no, sometimes yes. It would be interesting to think about what he does a bit more seriously though, maybe your thread will prompt me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:00:12 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 01:04:47 PM »
Oh I forgot another good one, the Eton Choirbook. I'll check out his Camino CD soon.

He went to prison for pinching some manuscripts, does anyone know what they were, whether he recorded them, why he did it?

Oh and another two more with some nice things on them The Art of the Cigar (good fumeur par fumée), and 40 Voix (good Josquin)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:26:01 PM by Mandryka »

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 01:47:07 PM »
Some favourites besides the ones mentioned:
(Some of the pictures are blurry, but at least they lead you where you need to go....)

As you can tell...I'm a fan...  :D

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 12:42:14 AM »

You must listen to The Eton Choirbook, it is very special.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 12:46:54 AM »
Do you like his approach?

I think (but I'm not sure) that my biggest problem is to do with how he uses instruments and voices together -- I have this feeling that I just don't much like his way of using instruments. This is just a summary of a my memories of reactions, which could be false.

How HIP is he? There are reviews online where people say he fiddles around with the scores to increase dissonances, by flattening notes and even changing key signatures, I gave no idea if it's true and even if it is true it could well be the informed way to read the scores. Though I think not in English music.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:10:25 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 12:59:12 AM »
Here's an article on his theft story, sordid if true, it looks as though he did it for money, though he claims he's innocent (if he really is victim of a plot he must have made some serious enemies!) I have no idea whether he went to prison in the end

http://www.lesoir.be/archive/recup/%25252Fle-musicologue-belge-avait-vole-des-partitions-rares-a-_t-19940804-Z08DER.html

http://www.lesoir.be/archive/recup/%25252Fle-melomane-nie-etre-kleptomane_t-19940804-Z08DD3.html

Good pic here

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:03:18 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 08:36:28 AM »
I have the big "Secret Labyrinth" Sony box set.  I really like it very much.  I collect a ton of early music CDs, so I'm not saying I like his interpretations better or worse than others, as I like getting various takes on these pieces, for the ones that do have other recordings/versions/performances.  I bought my copy back when it was in print and affordable.  Keep an eye out for it on amazon Marketplace; if you ever see a copy at a decent price, I'd recommend it..

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 08:11:08 PM »
Some favourites besides the ones mentioned:
(Some of the pictures are blurry, but at least they lead you where you need to go....)

Q
I enjoy this one very, very much. Then again, you recommended it! :)
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK