NEW RELEASES AT AMAZON - SEPTEMBER - Click to see details on Amazon. All sales from these links support your forum.

Author Topic: J.S. Bach's Organ Works  (Read 169993 times)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: J.S. Bach's Organ Works
« Reply #1500 on: March 15, 2012, 09:02:36 AM »
I attended a Lorenzo Ghielmi Bach organ recital in Osaka tonight. I very much enjoyed it. Organ music in general is new to me. It was a real treat to be able to focus on the music without any distractions. Also, the instrument sounded great. What a contrast between Chorales and prelude/fugues. I feel like I'm really missing some of the context for this music, especially the chorales, not having grown up Christian or attended church and not being familiar with Christian liturgy. The pyrotechnics of BWV543 were dazzling. I know Ghielmi from his fortepiano and harpsichord recordings. I thought Ghielmi was wonderful but I have only my cursory listens at home to a sampling of other performers with which to compare him. For an encore, Ghielmi played a chorale that he dedicated to the victims of the Tsunami. He described it as meditative. However, as it wasn't on the program, I don't know which one it was. I realize now what a treat this was as there are no other notable organists on the calendar as far as I can see. Great performers just don't get to Osaka (and maybe not to Japan) that often.    

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1501 on: March 15, 2012, 09:11:29 AM »
Okay, so I've caught a mild case of Bach organ music fever.

Surprises you, how that bug can just take over!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #1502 on: March 15, 2012, 09:12:59 AM »
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #1503 on: March 15, 2012, 09:32:45 AM »
I attended a Lorenzo Ghielmi Bach organ recital in Osaka tonight. I very much enjoyed it. Organ music in general is new to me. It was a real treat to be able to focus on the music without any distractions. Also, the instrument sounded great. What a contrast between Chorales and prelude/fugues. I feel like I'm really missing some of the context for this music, especially the chorales, not having grown up Christian or attended church and not being familiar with Christian liturgy. The pyrotechnics of BWV543 were dazzling. I know Ghielmi from his fortepiano and harpsichord recordings. I thought Ghielmi was wonderful but I have only my cursory listens at home to a sampling of other performers with which to compare him. For an encore, Ghielmi played a chorale that he dedicated to the victims of the Tsunami. He described it as meditative. However, as it wasn't on the program, I don't know which one it was. I realize now what a treat this was as there are no other notable organists on the calendar as far as I can see. Great performers just don't get to Osaka (and maybe not to Japan) that often.    

Nice to know you had a good time.

As for the dearth of organ recitals in Japan, would you mind travelling 30 Km (is that the correct figure?) for one?
http://www.bach.co.jp/MS%20Solo%20concertschedule_En%202005.htm
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline PaulSC

« Reply #1504 on: March 15, 2012, 09:46:13 AM »
piano bach, on the organ.
What's “piano bach”?
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #1505 on: March 15, 2012, 09:47:19 AM »
What's “piano bach”?

One of the nephews, wasn't he?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline PaulSC

« Reply #1506 on: March 15, 2012, 11:26:01 AM »
Oh right, middle initials “DQ”…
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #1507 on: March 15, 2012, 11:39:52 AM »
What's “piano bach”?

It's 'Soft Bach'.

Oh right, middle initials “DQ”…

No.
It's that nephew or cousin, whose initials I forgot, nicknamed 'the Soft Bach', who was friends with 'the London Bach' and 'the Bückeburg Bach'.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #1508 on: March 15, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »
Which was the puffy Bach again? : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #1509 on: March 15, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »
Which was the puffy Bach again? : )

;D

Just pick one of them, it'll do:

Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #1510 on: March 15, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
Rare photograph of “Lips” Bach:
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #1511 on: March 15, 2012, 11:54:25 AM »
Rare photograph of “Lips” Bach:

:-*

Oh man, this thread could go outta hand!

Offline jlaurson

• Veteran member
    • ionarts
« Reply #1512 on: March 15, 2012, 02:27:13 PM »
piano harpsichord bach, on the organ.

Organic Bach

Clavierübung II
Hansjörg Albrecht
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/03/organic-bach.html
What's “piano bach”?

Did I just betray a bias?  :D

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1513 on: March 15, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »
Nice to know you had a good time.

As for the dearth of organ recitals in Japan, would you mind travelling 30 Km (is that the correct figure?) for one?
http://www.bach.co.jp/MS%20Solo%20concertschedule_En%202005.htm
Oh thanks. Yeah, I noticed this a while back but had forgotten about it. Yes Kobe is about 45 minutes by train from
Osaka. 30 Km sounds like a slight underestimation but it is very convenient. There is Suzuki's cantata series there also
(the other area of Bach with which I'm unfamiliar). There are some nice concerts in kansai (Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara) sometimes (I saw Kristian Bezuidenhout play Mozart and Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin play the Brandenburg Concertos) but perhaps not often.

Yes I've also been bitten by the organ bug now.     

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #1514 on: March 15, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
Oh thanks. Yeah, I noticed this a while back but had forgotten about it. Yes Kobe is about 45 minutes by train from
Osaka. 30 Km sounds like a slight underestimation but it is very convenient. There is Suzuki's cantata series there also
(the other area of Bach with which I'm unfamiliar). There are some nice concerts in kansai (Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara) sometimes (I saw Kristian Bezuidenhout play Mozart and Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin play the Brandenburg Concertos) but perhaps not often.

Yes I've also been bitten by the organ bug now.     

Welcome aboard! :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1515 on: March 15, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
I would definitely go for it!
IMO, Ghielmi is a fine and solid Bach interpreter. I value him more in the chorale-free works and my guess is that the final piece of his recital (BWV 543) might end up as the highlight of the concert. The other free work is partly (the fugue) an arrangement of the 2nd movement of Bach's Solo Violin Sonata in G-minor BWV 1001. In most cases, organists opt for a modest and not too massive registration. So there's probably no risk of getting blown away from the start. ;D
The Trio Sonata and The 6 Schübler chorales (BWV 645-650) and are exquisit compositions, too. If you're familiar with Bach cantatas, you might recognize some of those chorales.
The Vivaldi transcription (Concerto BWV 596) has got an intriguing mysterious echoing beginning and delivers very enjoyable music throughout.

If you'd like to check out the specific works beforehand, here's a nice free site:

http://www.blockmrecords.org/bach/index.htm

About the seat you should take: that's a personal matter. It depends on the strength of the organ and also of the acoustics.
In the Martini Church in my hometown I prefer a place in the centre, not too close yet also not too far away from the organ. But I know that other concert-goers prefer to sit as close as possible. It's true, when sitting close, you can hear the switch between the different manuals better. But personally, I prefer a more 'total' sound.

If you decide to go: have a good time!
You were right about BWV 543. Also, I sat back and in the center (row T) and felt, without being able to compare, that it was a good choice. 

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1516 on: March 16, 2012, 01:05:12 AM »
What's “piano bach”?

Did I just betray a bias?  :D

No, you displayed that you are biased yourself.  :D

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1517 on: March 16, 2012, 01:40:07 AM »
Welcome aboard! :)
Well I just downloaded the Bernard Foccroulle set. I'll get back to you in a few years when I have some idea of this music! Sometimes, when I'm listening, I feel like my apartment is going to fly off the building...kind of like at the end of Willie Wonka.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #1518 on: March 16, 2012, 01:49:31 AM »
Well I just downloaded the Bernard Foccroulle set. I'll get back to you in a few years when I have some idea of this music! Sometimes, when I'm listening, I feel like my apartment is going to fly off the building...kind of like at the end of Willie Wonka.

;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #1519 on: March 16, 2012, 02:54:58 AM »

Thanks for the report. Good to read you enjoyed it.
Would you be able to recognize the meditative chorale?

My first thought was Erbarm' dich mein, o Herre Gott BWV 721.
But Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland BWV 659 is also a possibility, with a more hopeful basic idea behind it.

Anyway: enjoy your Foccroulle set during the next years ;) .... and maybe some concerts by Suzuki in Kobe!

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK