Author Topic: J.S. Bach on the Organ  (Read 248358 times)

Offline amw

• Veteran member
Re: J.S. Bach on the Organ
« Reply #2300 on: December 30, 2016, 06:14:46 AM »
He definitely is quite variable as far as I can tell. There was one album in the series that sounded like music from the 25th century or something, due to the combination of instrument and tuning, but I now can't remember which one. Maybe the Neumeister Chorales. Some of the others sound quite muddy and rather conventional though now that I'm sampling through them. So idk.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #2301 on: December 30, 2016, 06:19:55 AM »
. There was one album in the series that sounded like music from the 25th century or something, due to the combination of instrument and tuning, but I now can't remember which one. Maybe the Neumeister Chorales.

That sounds fun, if you remember which one let me know. (I'm listening to 1090 now and it sounds OK.)

The Art of Fugue really goes into some sort of alpha-state after about half a dozen or so fugues and he keeps it going for quite a while.

But maybe the most extraordinary thing he does is the ricercar from Opfer. Bach Motörhead style.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:21:32 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #2302 on: December 30, 2016, 09:09:14 AM »
:o

OMG, somebody hacked the one and only Mandryka's account!

;D

I do know about these mysteries, too, btw.
Sometimes first favourites get overtaken by others.
I was wrong this morning, you were right. I just listened to the Orgelbuchlein. I like the registrations on the Metzler. The voicing is lively.  I like the strong sense of movement forward, there's a feeling of  spontaneous and sincere  expression of deep things,  it made me think of Jens Christensen's Art of Fugue. What I said in 2013 about "celebrating God" or something doesn't really do it justice: it's spookier than that.  The sound quality is excellent given the period of the recording.

To some extent I'm such a sucker for Orgelbuchlein that I could be exaggerating, in fact I'm sure I am exaggerating.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:14:50 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #2303 on: December 31, 2016, 03:02:16 AM »
I was wrong this morning, you were right. I just listened to the Orgelbuchlein. I like the registrations on the Metzler. The voicing is lively.  I like the strong sense of movement forward, there's a feeling of  spontaneous and sincere  expression of deep things,  it made me think of Jens Christensen's Art of Fugue. What I said in 2013 about "celebrating God" or something doesn't really do it justice: it's spookier than that.  The sound quality is excellent given the period of the recording.

To some extent I'm such a sucker for Orgelbuchlein that I could be exaggerating, in fact I'm sure I am exaggerating.

And my 'problem' is, that I do not listen enough to the Orgelbüchlein... I always seem to go for the 'Organ Mass', the Leipziger Choräle and Die Kunst der Fuge.
Added to another 'problem': after some five years of monomaniac organ listening (mainly Bach), I have turned to other instruments the last couple of years, and to other ensembles and composers, too.
It's almost a suprise for myself that I ended up again in this everlasting thread.

Anway, here's wishing you a happy new year with all the Büchleins, Heillers, Christensens and all other great music and its performers!
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #2304 on: December 31, 2016, 07:28:14 AM »
I know of such mysteries, they have happened to me too... selling cds isn't the core business for most of those societies.
My advice is: send them an e-mail, refer to your order and ordering number, ask them how you have to pay for it when living abroad, and ask them how long it takes them to send the discs, et cetera and et al, of course everything in a polite manner. ;)
Oh, and send the mail cc to: marieke.buiten@kpnmail.nl.
I'm not sure, but I think she's the librarian/documentalist of the Stichting Henrick Baderorgel.

Good luck!

It's very annoying because I see from their website that they've reduced the price of the CDs in a promotion, so they clearly have them and someone there wants to sell them. Anyway,  I've done what you suggested.

The invoice just says "Betaalwijze: Betalen via factuur" and "Wij danken u voor uw bestelling. Indien u vragen heeft, kunt u natuurlijk te allen tijde contact met ons opnemen". but no payment details, no calculation of the delivery costs,  not even an address to contact them. WTF are they expecting me to do?  If you can see a phone number for them (I can't) let me know and I'll try that way.

Added: Found the CDs here, and they did take my money, so things are looking a bit more hopeful.

https://www.boeijengamusic.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:38:46 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #2305 on: December 31, 2016, 11:29:36 AM »
It's very annoying because I see from their website that they've reduced the price of the CDs in a promotion, so they clearly have them and someone there wants to sell them. Anyway,  I've done what you suggested.

The invoice just says "Betaalwijze: Betalen via factuur" and "Wij danken u voor uw bestelling. Indien u vragen heeft, kunt u natuurlijk te allen tijde contact met ons opnemen". but no payment details, no calculation of the delivery costs,  not even an address to contact them. WTF are they expecting me to do?  If you can see a phone number for them (I can't) let me know and I'll try that way.

Added: Found the CDs here, and they did take my money, so things are looking a bit more hopeful.

https://www.boeijengamusic.com

Ah, Boeijenga, in Leeuwarden (capital of Fryslân)... well, there's a chance you'll be luckier with them.
Those Frisians are probably more used to 'international affairs'.

The invoice means btw: Payment via payment bill. Thanks for your order. For questions, please send us a mail.
Well, at least you did the latter. But yes, I agree with you: first action should be taken by them.

Anyway, I sent you a PM (and Premont, too), without a true solution, but maybe some useful info.

Fingers crossed.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #2307 on: January 10, 2017, 04:16:47 AM »
I now have Bert Matter's CU 3 and Leipzig Chorales. Initial impression of the Leipzig chorales makes me think that this is a very major achievement.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #2308 on: January 15, 2017, 08:49:27 AM »
Thought this was a nice clip to post in this thread: Bernard Winsemius playing Bach's Trio Sonata in C minor BWV 526, on the Christian Müller organ, Waalse Kerk, Amsterdam, NL.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kw_BdtL8Hw0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Kw_BdtL8Hw0</a>

Project "All of Bach": http://allofbach.com/en/

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK