Author Topic: J.S. Bach on the Organ  (Read 309477 times)

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
Re: J.S. Bach on the Organ
« Reply #2540 on: November 05, 2017, 11:00:35 AM »
I think the Zerer recording in Kantens one of the best he ever recorded. I do not miss anything in his playing style, spiritually or on a technical level. I did my bit on this organ in Kantens, and it's a very difficult instrument to play on, and of course I do not get near to what Zerer delivers. So considering this, I think any criticism is a personal one, and not necessarily true for the rest of us.

Secondly the Hanssler box is a very viable option to acquire, first of all for the historic organs, and secondly for the quality of the organists.
I started with the first two discs of this set, and although I am not wholly impressed by Kay Johannsen, he nevertheless gets enough authority out of Bach's works to thoroughly enjoying them.
Plus the fact that it can be had for very little money.

Yes, any criticism is personal. I would not dare to claim otherwise.

And, in this particular case, I agree with your positive opinion about the Hänssler box. I like it, too, and I like Johanssen very much.
My criticism towards Martin Lücker is... a personal one. ;)
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #2541 on: December 03, 2017, 10:46:13 AM »
I'm starting to get interested in the Neumeister Chorales and so I thought I'd post here just to ask if anyone has explored them on record, and if there's anything that stands out. So far I find myself enjoying Foccroulle and Beekman most - very different approaches.

I'm unclear about what the Arnstädter preludes are, and whether there are any outstanding recordings of them, Werner Jacob was the first to record them, and his LP has been transferred to CD but it's not for sale in the UK - I'd have  to bring it in from The States. I'll do it if someone says they remember it was one of his successful recordings

(I've always had a penchant for Orgelbuchlein, so I guess it's not surprising that I'm enjoying these Chorales too. )
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:48:33 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #2542 on: December 03, 2017, 12:34:46 PM »
I'm unclear about what the Arnstädter preludes are, and whether there are any outstanding recordings of them, Werner Jacob was the first to record them, and his LP has been transferred to CD but it's not for sale in the UK - I'd have  to bring it in from The States. I'll do it if someone says they remember it was one of his successful recordings

According to Peter Williams the concept Arnstädter Gemeindechoräle was first used by Herman Keller in 1948, and includes the chorales BWV 715, 722, 726, 729, 732 and 738. They are not handed down as a specific group, They are characterized by bold harmonisations of the choral tunes with interspersed running scales and ornamentation. They were thought to be meant as accompaniment to the congregational singing, but their precise dating is uncertain. For practical reasons they are today included in the group "miscellaneous chorales" from BWV 690 and on. Most of the so called complete Bach organ sets include them. Walcha and AFAIK Heiller did not include them in their "integrals" from the early 1950es. I think Walter Kraft was the first to include them in an integral. As far as I remember Jacob's recordings of these does not stand particularly out, but it is a long time since I heard them, 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:50:47 PM by (: premont :) »
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK