Author Topic: Morton Feldman (1926-1987)  (Read 51290 times)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: Morton Feldman (1926-1987)
« Reply #520 on: December 16, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »
Suddenly realize how much I dislike this:

and so I got this:

So far it seems much better but why hasn't this been recorded more?

Offline Uhor

« Reply #521 on: March 15, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
Does anybody know any Feldman orchestrations? I imagine the different repetitions as played by different instruments,  a great way to explore timbre.

Offline Uhor

« Reply #522 on: March 16, 2018, 08:47:45 PM »
Maybe orchestrating Feldman's piano works will become a thing long after I'm dead and they become public domain.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #523 on: March 17, 2018, 05:14:54 AM »
Does anybody know any Feldman orchestrations? I imagine the different repetitions as played by different instruments,  a great way to explore timbre.
I'm not sure how to put this and I think this came up in interviews with some of his students but there is something about the way Feldman uses the timbre of the instruments in his composition. It makes me wonder if this is a good idea. I know I don't know enough about music so say exactly but I do think it's a good question. I'm just wondering whether it goes against what Feldman was doing or not. I'm interested in an informed opinion.

Offline Uhor

« Reply #524 on: March 19, 2018, 03:41:38 PM »
It's true that Feldman's work is even fundamentally timbre oriented; I still think orchestrating the piano pieces would be very cool.

snyprrr

Re: Morton Feldman (1926-1987) IT'S PERFECTLY OBVIOUS
« Reply #525 on: July 09, 2018, 07:39:46 AM »
Debussy, Prelude 'Footprints in the Snow'

It's obviously the opening of Feldman's 'Piano,Violin,Viola, Cello,... huh, how bout that?

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #526 on: July 19, 2018, 07:39:17 AM »

This is just sooooooooo depressing, I mean piano, violin, Viola and cello. He must have been unbelievably down in the dumps, Tilbury knows what he wanted if anyone does I guess. Unbearable music, excruciatingly bleak, torture. Somehow the quietness of it makes it even more painful than For Samuel Becket. It feels like one of those EST seminars designed to break you down, but then it doesn’t build you up again.

What did Feldman know, what secret of the universe had he glimpsed, which prompted such hopelessness?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:11:44 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

snyprrr

« Reply #527 on: July 19, 2018, 08:32:47 AM »

This is just sooooooooo depressing, I mean piano, violin, Viola and cello. He must have been unbelievably down in the dumps, Tilbury knows what he wanted if anyone does I guess. Unbearable music, excruciatingly bleak, torture. Somehow the quietness of it makes it even more painful than For Samuel Becket. It feels like one of those EST seminars designed to break you down, but then it doesn’t build you up again.

What did Feldman know, what secret of the universe had he glimpsed, which prompted such hopelessness?

Like I said in the previous Post, PVVC sounds JUST like 'Footprints in the Snow' by Debussy... there right there is an allusion to hopelessness...

...if there's time...

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.