Author Topic: Morton Feldman (1926-1987)  (Read 41185 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Morton Feldman (1926-1987)
« Reply #520 on: December 06, 2017, 10:11:25 PM »

I'm so glad I got this today. Now, this is Feldman's world! Paul Zukofsky is just stunning.
I had been listening to Christina Fong & Paul Hersey and I have to warn people away from that. I would have never known what a special piece of music this really is.

Yes both artists, Schroeder and Zukofsky, are exceptionally good, I like very much Zukofsky's distinctive tone. Try his Bach too!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #521 on: December 07, 2017, 12:57:00 AM »
Yes both artists, Schroeder and Zukofsky, are exceptionally good, I like very much Zukofsky's distinctive tone. Try his Bach too!
I'm definitely curious.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #522 on: December 08, 2017, 06:12:12 AM »
I first came across Marianne Schroeder through an essay on Feldman by Christian Tarting, who's a researcher in improvisation. He singled her out, along with Roger Woodward, Gérard Frémy and Ronnie Lynne Patterson, as a pianist with a bit of a knack for this music. I agree, I've enjoyed exploring Feldman and Cage recordings by all four.

Of course Schroeder led me to Paul Zukofsky . . .

Listening to Paul Zukofsky play For John Cage again, I was impressed by not just the calm, but also by the colours and the variety of attacks. Violin effects, but certainly not reducing the music to an exercise in effects, as if the effects enhance the nobility and the mysteriousness of the music.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:16:08 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline San Antonio

• Veteran member
« Reply #523 on: December 08, 2017, 06:50:17 AM »
Lately, the Feldman recordings I am liking are those by Eberhard Blum on Hat Hut Records.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK