Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 516501 times)

Online Alberich

• Veteran member
  • "I don't have a horse face!"
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #8120 on: June 07, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
Also started reading The Gilded Age, collaboration between Mark Twain and Charles Dudley Warner.
"I am a shadowy reflection of you."

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #8121 on: June 07, 2017, 08:53:50 AM »
Also started reading The Gilded Age, collaboration between Mark Twain and Charles Dudley Warner.

I've not read that.  (Yet.)  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online Alberich

• Veteran member
« Reply #8122 on: June 07, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
I've not read that.  (Yet.)  8)

The beginning seems promising enough. Who knows, maybe this will become my choice for the greatest American novel?  8)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #8123 on: June 07, 2017, 09:17:06 AM »
(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • Nymanissimo!
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #8124 on: June 07, 2017, 10:14:48 AM »
It was the first by Twain for me when I was around 8 or 9 and together with "Treasure Island" which I read at about the same time it was probably the first book I read that could qualify as a "great book" or at least claim to transcend children's literature.

But I definitely was too young for "Huckleberry Finn" and I am not even sure I finished the latter when I tried it a year or so after Tom Sawyer. I was considerably disappointed because I had expected something much closer to a typical sequel of Tom Sawyer. (When I read Huckleberry Finn again a few year ago as an adult and in the original I found that the bits that try to bridge back to Tom Sawyer, especially the ending, are actually the weakest ones.)

Ironically Moby Dick is now often sold as a children's book! I was asked by a prof once if he should get it for his kid aged about 8. I boggled. But I have seen it, unabridged, unaltered, on sale in the children's section!
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set him on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #8125 on: June 07, 2017, 10:57:50 AM »

Henning Mankell's last book, the Swedish Rubber Boots (2015). All of Mankell's novels are bleak. They are about small gestures, insignificant events. Words that come out do so at a cost. His characters are mentally and emotionally weaker at the end vs at the beginnning.

For some reason it doesn't seem to be available in English yet.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
  • The plural of vinyl is vinyl.
« Reply #8126 on: June 07, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
Dickens for me as well.

This edition has the added value of Phiz's illustrations.

Enjoyed that one....not on the Copperfield level for me, but what is,as it is my favorite.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #8127 on: June 07, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »

After this, I will hit the  Elijah Baley series for a second read. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Online Alberich

• Veteran member
« Reply #8128 on: June 10, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »
It bothers me a bit that my edition of "Gilded age" does not have page numbers. This may be one of the only times that I ever have had to use a bookmark!

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #8129 on: June 10, 2017, 06:07:04 PM »

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #8130 on: June 12, 2017, 02:48:32 AM »
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #8131 on: June 12, 2017, 06:44:07 AM »
Going to the Dogs: The Story of a Moralist by Erich Kastner.

The last time I was in the gym some woman told me it was the first occasion she's seen me without a book. I usually take one with me because while some people play on their phones when waiting for a bench or punchbag to be vacated, I don't have that kind of phone. Anyway, due to packing and putting stuff into storage I've left myself nothing to read and so today I bought a few books.
The sight of her in a blue gingham dress could break your heart, but the way she looked out of the dress could make the same heart explode.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #8132 on: June 12, 2017, 06:54:37 AM »

I haven't seen this yet but I'm going to make time to see it on the big screen.

After this, I will hit the  Elijah Baley series for a second read. 

Reminds me of the OTR (old time radio) shows I used to download with a 28.8 kbit(?) connection. It was shows like Dimension X and X Minus One and Quiet, Please. Surprisingly few were cheesy and most were atmospheric and cool. X Minus One in particular had stories from (amongst others) Asimov and Pohl and Heinlein and Simak. Good stuff.
The sight of her in a blue gingham dress could break your heart, but the way she looked out of the dress could make the same heart explode.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #8133 on: June 14, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »

Reminds me of the OTR (old time radio) shows I used to download with a 28.8 kbit(?) connection. It was shows like Dimension X and X Minus One and Quiet, Please. Surprisingly few were cheesy and most were atmospheric and cool. X Minus One in particular had stories from (amongst others) Asimov and Pohl and Heinlein and Simak. Good stuff.

You download and listen to OTR Nik because you are a cool cat. I have been buying some Ace Doubles for future sci-fi reading.  Nothing like a sci-fi paperback from the 50's for back porch summer reading!

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #8134 on: June 15, 2017, 12:54:23 AM »
Ironically Moby Dick is now often sold as a children's book! I was asked by a prof once if he should get it for his kid aged about 8. I boggled. But I have seen it, unabridged, unaltered, on sale in the children's section!
That's amazing. Although I also remember from my childhood/youth (early 1980s) that usually heavily abridged and edited "classics" like "Moby Dick", "Robinson Crusoe", "Gulliver's travels" and also "Count of Monte Cristo", "Three Musketeers" "Oliver Twist" or "David Copperfield" were offered as children's books. I guess that often went almost as far as re-telling the main story in accessible language but sometimes they were also older cheaply re-published editions only moderately abridged. I do not remember details.
I think that the Moby Dick translation I read with about 15 was not or (probably) only slightly abridged but I do not remember exactly (and cannot check as it was a borrowed copy).
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Draško

• Veteran member
« Reply #8135 on: June 15, 2017, 04:44:14 AM »

My first venture into several Wodehouse worlds which I haven't explored this far: Blandings, golf, Mr.Mulliner and Ukridge.
de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #8136 on: June 15, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »
His best known book is probably Battle Cry of Freedom.

The naval aspect of the Civil War is sometimes lost--as he notes at the start, the forces on land, and the number of casualties, of the forces on land were greater by orders of magnitude--but crucial.  He keeps the narrative going, sometimes at the cost of making the background details clear.  And sometimes he strikes an oddly modern note.  Thus, one commander in charge of the fighting, faced with a plan from Washington that does not match reality, is said to "wonder what Fox was smoking".

But overall, gets an A from me.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #8137 on: June 19, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »

Father's Day gift. 

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #8138 on: June 19, 2017, 12:55:07 PM »

Father's Day gift.

Good stuff.   8).

Online Alberich

• Veteran member
« Reply #8139 on: June 21, 2017, 05:22:19 AM »
Enjoying Gilded age so far, a great book but unfortunately an awful, awful edition. It's full of typos and errors and doesn't even have page numbers, as noted before.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK