Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 560594 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #8480 on: November 14, 2017, 09:24:07 AM »
Edgar Allan Poe: His Life and Legacy
by Jeffrey Meyers

This is good, I am inhaling it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #8481 on: November 14, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
second Stephen King book I have read (The Shining was the other), entertaining enough and much creepier than the 80s adaptation (have not seen the new movie) The descriptions of characters inner thoughts get tedious (surprise, the bully kid is beaten by his father).

Interesting guy, who rediscovered Boolean logic and developed the basis for digital computing while still a grad student

Both a debunking of alot of traditional rules of thumb (like pitcher wins and saves being worthless stats) and  a look at modern analytics where teams like the Astros are employing comp science PhDs to digest the terabytes of game data now available

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #8482 on: November 14, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »
second Stephen King book I have read (The Shining was the other), entertaining enough and much creepier than the 80s adaptation (have not seen the new movie) The descriptions of characters inner thoughts get tedious (surprise, the bully kid is beaten by his father).

Interesting, thanks.  The summer that I worked at the Viking-Penguin return center (then in East Rutherford, NJ) this was The Big Title.  I never read it (i.e., never read It) . . . have been idly curious, but never curious enough to, you know, read the book.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #8483 on: November 14, 2017, 10:19:08 AM »
Further parenthesis:  that was the summer (and the place) that I discovered T. Coraghessan Boyle.  I still love Water Music inordinately.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8484 on: November 18, 2017, 01:20:27 AM »
Finished:

Started:

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #8485 on: November 18, 2017, 03:11:31 AM »
Francis MacManus: The Greatest of These....

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8486 on: November 18, 2017, 07:29:47 AM »

Harlow Giles Unger's First Founding Father, about Richard Henry Lee, of the Northern Neck Lees, back when Virginia politics really mattered.  Unger specializes in bios of Founding Fathers, including The Last Founding Father James Monroe, as well James Quincy Adams, one of the most impressive political personages in US history, if not a particularly good president.  The only other Unger work I've read is the JQA bio, and this book has the same easy familiarity with the subject matter as that one.  It's fairly slim at only 258 text pages, but it quickly and efficiently conveys pertinent information and leaves out fluff.  The story of the era is well known, of course, but some of the additional details are most useful, and the inclusion of the complete Leedstown Resolves from 1766 is a nice touch.  One also gets to read the final portion of Patrick Henry's most famous speech in context, and one can't help but notice that the name George Washington pops up a lot.  My only gripe is how the author frequently cites what certain things cost and then attempts to put a modern price tag on it, which is neither accurate nor necessary.  I should probably get that Monroe book.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #8487 on: November 20, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
I may be visiting Gettysburg this spring, and having never read a dedicated account of the battle, have found a few books to fuel my knowledge. First off was this one, which I just finished tonight

At times a moment by moment account, almost homeric in tone by the time it reaches Pickett's Charge, trying to set the whole campaign in the context of the war's politics and strategy, and carries through to Lincoln delivering the Gettysburg address. He tries to skewer a few sacred cows along the way, too. It's very detailed-- perhaps to the point of confusion--but certainly gives a clear picture of how the battle was almost a disastrous defeat for the North. The Union army in essence just barely outlasted the Confederate assaults--but that was enough to decimate Lee's army and ensure the rest of the war was fought on Southern territory and Northern terms.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:01:58 PM by Jeffrey Smith »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #8488 on: Today at 12:07:55 PM »
A friend’s (someone I have indeed met) recent Facebook update:

“Let’s drive to Pennsylvania on Wednesday, they said. It’ll be fun, they said.”

And one reply:

“Yup... We’re still stuck just on the other side of the GW Bridge.... Oi, what were we thinking, driving NYC the day before Thanksgiving??”
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK