Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 644668 times)

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #8640 on: April 30, 2018, 08:26:42 PM »
The Way We Live Now is a book I keep meaning to get to. Would you rate it as one of his best?

TD:

One of the few Geoff Dyer books I hadn't read. Short and fast, but with his trademark freewheeling intelligence and unexpected digressions and connections.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:28:41 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline Crudblud

« Reply #8641 on: May 01, 2018, 01:06:42 AM »
Trying to get into the habit of writing more about what I read. I posted some thoughts on my blog about Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, which I finished reading about a week ago.

Offline Alberich

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #8642 on: May 01, 2018, 01:13:13 AM »
So I finally finished The Egyptian - while there were many great passages (I especially enjoyed the rather clever portrayal of negative effects that a pacifist pharaoh causes in his kingdom) Waltari is also prone to rambling which probably is one of the reasons of the book's length and there are also several oxymoron-ish sentences that don't make much sense. Overall, as a Finnish literature, it passes well enough - although if he had cut the rambling passages he could have reduced the length of the book by a half or so.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #8643 on: May 01, 2018, 03:27:32 AM »
Trying to get into the habit of writing more about what I read. I posted some thoughts on my blog about Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, which I finished reading about a week ago.

Can you really read grey font on dark blue background without your eyes aching?  ;D

"The score is not a bible, and I am never afraid to dare. The music is behind those dots." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline Crudblud

« Reply #8644 on: May 01, 2018, 03:36:50 AM »
Can you really read grey font on dark blue background without your eyes aching?  ;D
I can, it actually hurts my eyes less than black and white for longer reads on a screen. I change the theme every once in a while trying to find something optimal, so far unsuccessful.

Edit: I made the colours lighter, seems better so far. Wordpress's customisation tools seem to be quite fickle about colour palettes.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:39:57 AM by Crudblud »

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #8645 on: May 01, 2018, 03:45:08 AM »
I can, it actually hurts my eyes less than black and white for longer reads on a screen. I change the theme every once in a while trying to find something optimal, so far unsuccessful.

Edit: I made the colours lighter, seems better so far. Wordpress's customisation tools seem to be quite fickle about colour palettes.
I found the colors, and writing, eminently readable.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #8646 on: May 01, 2018, 03:47:21 AM »

In my (admittedly very personal, non-transmissible) experience, the best is black font on pale yellow background.
"The score is not a bible, and I am never afraid to dare. The music is behind those dots." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #8647 on: May 01, 2018, 04:54:41 AM »
The Way We Live Now is a book I keep meaning to get to. Would you rate it as one of his best?

TD:

One of the few Geoff Dyer books I hadn't read. Short and fast, but with his trademark freewheeling intelligence and unexpected digressions and connections.

Yes,Way is really good and it’s standalone, not part of the Palliser or the Barchester sets. I keep meaning to get to Barchester Towers myself, which most reckon his best book.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #8648 on: May 01, 2018, 04:57:02 AM »

That's what I like about Kindle: no backlight. Everything else gets wearing after a while. I find white on Black tolerable for phones. Plus it saves battery  :)
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #8649 on: May 01, 2018, 05:13:16 AM »
Years ago I dated an occupational therapist who told me that light text on a dark background was useful for those with eyesight problems. She had red hair.
Also, on the android tablet I'm using right now I believe that by enabling developer mode in order to simulate a colour space (in this instance, 'monochromacy') it helps save the battery.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:15:41 AM by NikF »
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #8650 on: May 04, 2018, 09:47:51 AM »
Another reread, will probably skip the Shostakovitch parts despite great quote like this:

Best listened to in a windowless room, better than best in an airless room—correctly speaking, a bunker sealed forever and enwrapped in tree-roots—the Eighth String Quartet of Shostakovich (Opus 110) is the living corpse of music, perfect in its horror. Call it the simultaneous asphyxiation and bleeding of melody. The soul strips itself of life in a dusty room

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #8651 on: May 04, 2018, 06:02:35 PM »

The man has long needed a good biography, and this is just the man to write it. Very good so far (I'm about 100 pages in).
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #8652 on: May 06, 2018, 03:57:11 AM »
Choo choo, choo choo, ch'boogie!

For the train journey -

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline Artem

« Reply #8653 on: May 06, 2018, 10:34:25 PM »
Cynics by Anatoly Mariengof.

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8654 on: May 12, 2018, 03:57:08 AM »

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8655 on: May 12, 2018, 04:12:43 AM »
This.

A somewhat odd book. The name comes from a huge apartment block in which lived many Old Bolsheviks and high officials in Russia in 1931. The book is about them, their fate, their mindset. Parts of it drift off into theory, but mostly it's a convincing portrait of a community of True Believers. He likens bolshevism to other millenerian cults, like early Christianity.
It does assume a basic familiarity with the history. The NEP is not explained for example, not even the acronym, and the details of Stalin's rise are assumed, etc.   Overall an outstanding book so far, a little over half way through.

Recommended for Andrei

I was over at a friends place today (to watch the final episode of Ken Burns' Vietnam) and he was raving about this book, saying it was the best thing he'd read over the last year. What was your impression after finishing?

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #8656 on: May 12, 2018, 08:54:01 AM »
Simon, I recall mentioning the Holland, which is great.

I very much liked the House of Government. But it comes with caveats. There is some more general theory of millenarian movements he discusses at length, such as early Christianity, and he comes back to it a lot. It also demands as I said some familiarity with the narrative history. But it gives a great insight into the mindset of the first generation or two of bolsheviks. It's unlike any other book on the period I have read too. If you are are interested I recommend it highly.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:57:02 AM by Ken B »

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #8657 on: May 12, 2018, 04:47:01 PM »
Simon, I recall mentioning the Holland, which is great.

I very much liked the House of Government. But it comes with caveats. There is some more general theory of millenarian movements he discusses at length, such as early Christianity, and he comes back to it a lot. It also demands as I said some familiarity with the narrative history. But it gives a great insight into the mindset of the first generation or two of bolsheviks. It's unlike any other book on the period I have read too. If you are are interested I recommend it highly.

thanks for the Recommendation. Just nabbed a copy.
It's all good...

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #8658 on: May 19, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »
This

Which is based on the oldest manuscript. So it is the original version as it were, without some later stories such as Sinbad. I have the accompanying volume of those tales too.

Certain to offend prudes, SJWs, #MeTooers, and scolds of all stripes.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #8659 on: May 20, 2018, 07:53:52 PM »
This:

I’m not really reading this from front to back as this isn’t one of those kinds of books, but I do pick up this book periodically and read about a Barber work I’m interested in learning about which this particular book provides background history to each composition, when it was written, when it was first premiered, etc.
“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy