Author Topic: Kodály's Covert Clan  (Read 6760 times)

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
Re: Kodály's Covert Clan
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2018, 03:45:53 PM »
Thanks, helps me to re-discover it again. Always adored the Kodály of the Concerto for Orchestra, Theater Overture, Peacock, AllDances and much more - but found the symphony a bit trepid.

I hope it can grow on you  ;)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2018, 01:35:42 AM »
I've liked everything I've heard from Kodaly but actually have very little in my collection, Harry Janos on LP, Psalmus Hungaricus (on Chandos) and the Naxos CD with Peacock Variations etc) - oh dear - more temptation  ::))
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:39:47 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2018, 07:54:15 AM »
temptation
Speaking about temptations, I always found his personal life intriguing: first marrying Emma, almost twice his age, and happily married for 48 years til her death at the age of 95; then, himself a 76-year-old, marrying the 19-year-old Sarolta Péczely who could have been his granddaughter. Together the span of two complete lifetimes, happily spent in music:
http://www.interlude.hk/front/two-hearts-one-soul-zoltan-kodaly-emma-gruber
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2018, 08:42:02 AM »
Speaking about temptations, I always found his personal life intriguing: first marrying Emma, almost twice his age, and happily married for 48 years til her death at the age of 95; then, himself a 76-year-old, marrying the 19-year-old Sarolta Péczely who could have been his granddaughter. Together the span of two complete lifetimes, happily spent in music:
http://www.interlude.hk/front/two-hearts-one-soul-zoltan-kodaly-emma-gruber

Very interesting. Didn't know any of that.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2018, 09:09:03 AM »
I've yet to hear the Concerto for Orchestra or Symphony, but I should. I spent a time with a fascination with the Suite for Solo Cello which never converted to love for the work.