Author Topic: Mahler Mania, Rebooted  (Read 313427 times)

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
Re: Mahler Mania, Rebooted
« Reply #3920 on: November 09, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »
Boulez, Meh. Nobody mentioned my favorite:

That's mine too, but like I said, I wouldn't recommend it for a first experience.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #3921 on: November 09, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »
That's mine too, but like I said, I wouldn't recommend it for a first experience.

Sarge

It was my first experience, didn't do me any harm.  :)

(I got mine before they invented the double jewel case, so it came in two separate jewel cases.)

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #3922 on: November 09, 2017, 02:57:46 PM »
It was my first experience, didn't do me any harm.  :)

That's debatable  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #3923 on: November 09, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »

Offline relm1

« Reply #3924 on: November 09, 2017, 05:34:44 PM »

Sarge

Explain sarge.

Offline relm1

« Reply #3925 on: November 09, 2017, 05:37:13 PM »
One thing I find extremely interesting, the consensus seems to be a Mahler 2 virgin should get a different version than a Mahlerian.  I am very curious for more details about this.  I consider myself an expert (I have performed it and own 11 recordings and it was the first professional concert I ever attended) but find no single recording to fulfill my imagination of the work.  Though I have heard it a bazillian times, I must confess still tearing up at hearing it this morning.  Though the performances I heard left me lacking. What a fantastic work.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 05:39:26 PM by relm1 »

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #3926 on: November 09, 2017, 06:18:02 PM »
Of forty plus recordings I have there are three I dislike: Norrington, Abbado/VPO, and Abbado/Lucerne. My top favorites are Bernstein/DG, MTT/SFO, and Abbado/CSO. For a newbie, I would suggest Mehta/VPO, Kaplan/VPO or even better, a DVD--Chailly/Gewandhaus.

But other than those three I specified above, there is not an M2 I would not gladly listen to, and that does not give me an emotional uprush when the chorus kicks in.

Offline brunumb

« Reply #3927 on: November 09, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
This is the recording that started my Mahler addiction:

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #3928 on: November 09, 2017, 07:09:28 PM »
One thing I find extremely interesting, the consensus seems to be a Mahler 2 virgin should get a different version than a Mahlerian.

I think the idea is to avoid causing someone to imprint on an idiosyncratic or controversial version. For example, my first version of Beethoven 4 was Leinsdorf, which is mostly fine, but he changes the rhythm at the first Allegro vivace, and it took me a long time to accept the correct rhythm. I havenít heard Maazelís Mahler 2 but I suspect he takes some part of it unusually slowly, or made some other love-it-or-hate-it interpretive decision.

Offline Andrť

• Veteran member
« Reply #3929 on: November 09, 2017, 08:04:32 PM »
True. Listening to the 6th symphony in Barbirolliís version would have that same effect on a newcomer.

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #3930 on: November 09, 2017, 09:16:44 PM »
One thing I find extremely interesting, the consensus seems to be a Mahler 2 virgin should get a different version than a Mahlerian.  I am very curious for more details about this.  I consider myself an expert (I have performed it and own 11 recordings and it was the first professional concert I ever attended) but find no single recording to fulfill my imagination of the work.  Though I have heard it a bazillian times, I must confess still tearing up at hearing it this morning.  Though the performances I heard left me lacking. What a fantastic work.

I'm not so sure I agree, but the rational may be that a newbie would benefit from a mainstream performance but someone that already has several recordings of the work would gain more by getting an oddball recording.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #3931 on: November 10, 2017, 02:05:16 AM »

Maybe there's something to it: That someone who knows the work well can appreciate deviation from it better... or at least knows not to be mislead by it.
Sometimes I think an interpretation is very suitable for a beginner, because it allows a particular insight that helps. If you had asked about M3 and I had answered with Boulez again, that would have been such a case... because in the Third Boulez lives up to the stereotype and delivers a see-through account; accurate and transparent like few others. But usually Boulez's Mahler is quite passionate and searing, actually. (Only his 8th is a dead-on-arrival-dud.) Point being that, in this case, I should like to point out that my recommendations were straight up; I think these are among the very best recordings of the work for veteran and newbie alike.

Meanwhile I agree w/Jeffrey's dislike for Abbado/Vienna, though not Abbado/Lucerne; Maazel is one of the few cycles I don't have; I dislike the Solti (most of Solti's Mahler, actually, except his Sixth, which Sarge thankfully converted me to!

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #3932 on: November 10, 2017, 03:02:37 AM »
I think the idea is to avoid causing someone to imprint on an idiosyncratic or controversial version.
Sure, but this seems in no way special about Mahler or a particular symphony of his.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #3933 on: November 10, 2017, 08:18:53 AM »
What is your favorite recording of Mahler's No. 2?  Basically if you were going to introduce someone to this work which recording would you demonstrate the work with?

Kubelik
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #3934 on: November 10, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »
Sure, but this seems in no way special about Mahler or a particular symphony of his.

It isnít.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to BjŲrk
« Reply #3935 on: November 10, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »
... There was a blind listening a few years ago that never got completed, and so I have a 1st movement that I know I really enjoyed but no idea who the conductor and orchestra were.

Me too!  It was P3 in my case.  I still listen to it and prefer it to any other I've heard so far, with the exception of Bernstein/DG (which is similar, but even more over-wrought).  I never listen past the 1st movement anyway, it stands alone very well IMHO.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #3936 on: November 12, 2017, 04:23:51 AM »
Kubelik

Amen!  0:)

I came across this rarity on YouTube: Arnold Schoenberg conducts the second movement of Mahler's Second for a radio broadcast in 1934 from New York:

Dreadful quality, but if you can blank out the noise there would seem to be a Viennese Schlagobers sound to some of the playing  ???  8)  :

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/F9KGqRoKGiY&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/F9KGqRoKGiY&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>

Dig the picture of Arnold Baby with half of a smirking smile! 0:)
"Now who taught ye t' be playin' patty fingers in the holy water?"

- Barry Fitzgerald to John Wayne in  The Quiet Man.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK