Author Topic: Mahler Mania, Rebooted  (Read 334522 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: Mahler Mania, Rebooted
« Reply #4040 on: April 13, 2018, 12:24:54 PM »
I have a question: I’ve been listening to different versions of Schoenberg’s Chamber symphony no 1 and in the second section (track 2 in both Rattle versions) I hear strong echoes of Mahler’s 7th symphony, esp. the first Nachtmusik (I think - not absolutely sure).

Any thoughts on that ?

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #4041 on: April 13, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »
I have a question: I’ve been listening to different versions of Schoenberg’s Chamber symphony no 1 and in the second section (track 2 in both Rattle versions) I hear strong echoes of Mahler’s 7th symphony, esp. the first Nachtmusik (I think - not absolutely sure).

Any thoughts on that ?

Oh absolutely.  It's a fascinating connection, because Mahler's Seventh hadn't yet been performed in public when Schoenberg's work was written, so if he knew it, it was from the score or from private performances.  You're right, too, in pegging the "scherzo" section of the Schoenberg work, but it's the second Nachtmusik, the "Andante amoroso," where the motif originates.

Other connections between the two works are more tenuous, but both have a strong emphasis on the interval of the perfect fourth, and the chains of fourths found in the first movement of Mahler's symphony find their way into every corner of Schoenberg's.  We do know that Schoenberg loved and admired the Seventh.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #4042 on: April 13, 2018, 12:45:06 PM »
Gee, thanks for these details, Mahlerian ! Wasn’t sure which Nachtmusik, and didn’t feel like putting the whole disc to verify.  I knew it couldn’t be a coincidence. I mean, these whiffs of the Andante amoroso coming in and out of the orchestral texture are striking once you focus on them, which I had never done before. I like that Schoenberg work, but a friend of mine positively adores it. He made me a cdr with copies of some of the versions he owns. I got to listen to it 3 times in a row  8).

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #4043 on: April 15, 2018, 01:04:42 AM »
I have always thought there was a similarity between Mahler's 7th and Schoenberg's 1st.......nice to know this info, Mahlerian.