Author Topic: Recordings for lute and related instruments  (Read 60667 times)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings for lute and related instruments
« Reply #300 on: April 26, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »

Diaz-latorre is a really imaginative musician. For an ensemble rendering of Sanz, I think this is as fine as any. Actually, it’s a duo. This is as good as anything Liselevand has done. It’s got a great improvisatory feel. Very stirring.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2018, 01:11:14 AM »

Seems like GMG is finally working for a few minutes tonight. I purchased Rumsey's Spanish and Italian renaissance recordings. Excellent. It's the kind of singing I can put up with (I hate opera). I'm liking it more and more.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2018, 02:51:29 AM »

Seems like GMG is finally working for a few minutes tonight. I purchased Rumsey's Spanish and Italian renaissance recordings. Excellent. It's the kind of singing I can put up with (I hate opera). I'm liking it more and more.

There's a lightness, subtlety and delicacy about her lute playing which I like a lot. Maybe you'll enjoy her Francesco de Milano with Christopher Wilson, I do.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:19:33 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2018, 04:08:42 PM »
There's a lightness, subtlety and delicacy about her lute playing which I like a lot. Maybe you'll enjoy her Francesco de Milano with Christopher Wilson, I do.
I want to get that too. Would her style be termed “cantabile”? Yes: very soft. I think I like “flatness” as a musical quality. Like a fresco.

Offline Vinbrulé

« Reply #304 on: May 05, 2018, 08:33:18 AM »
I'm going to check this out!!!!
Meanwhile, for solo baroque guitar, this 20-year old recordings is really something special. I don't know how to explain it exactly but there's a real difference between Smith, who really makes magic and has a strong view of the music and a natural feel, and some of the lesser known players who approach this repertoire more like "guitarists" and, IMO, fail by doing so. When I hear someone showing off I get turned off. But Smith is a true artist I think.   

You think well right. Smith stands in a category apart.  Looking around, from Francesco da Milano to Weiss, he excels in everything he does . We don't have, up to now, his version of Reusner's music.  But this guy Joel van Lennep builds instruments for Hopkinson only ?  No other player uses his (beautiful) instruments, I see !!

P.S.  I have some difficulties in connecting to this site, sometimes it is impossible.  Is it just a problem of mine ?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:20:38 AM by Vinbrulé »

Offline Vinbrulé

« Reply #305 on: May 13, 2018, 02:11:13 AM »
Has anyone tried this CD  ?

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #306 on: May 13, 2018, 03:27:00 AM »
I can only get on this site about 5 minutes a day via macbook.
For Dufaut, I have Louis Pernot. It’s quite good but I haven’t heard the one you’re asking about.

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #307 on: May 13, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »
I can only get on this site about 5 minutes a day via macbook.
For Dufaut, I have Louis Pernot. It’s quite good but I haven’t heard the one you’re asking about.

Milk,
Change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 in the network settings on your macbook.
It worked perfectly for me - I haven't seen a "cannot find the site" screen since then.  0:)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #308 on: May 13, 2018, 10:06:47 AM »
Whatever happened to Robert Barto's longterm recordings of Weiss' Lute Sonatas? The last volume (#11) was released in 2012 and there has been no new recordings since then.  His Weiss albums have been a revelation and opened up some fantastic music for me. They have been a staple in my home ever since the first volume more than ten years ago. Is he still recording?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nVyI-lm_qlE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nVyI-lm_qlE</a>
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:10:58 AM by Moonfish »
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #309 on: May 13, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »
Milk,
Change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 in the network settings on your macbook.
It worked perfectly for me - I haven't seen a "cannot find the site" screen since then.  0:)
I have a catch - which is that I live in Japan and use a proxy service to enable me to access certain things. That service claims GMG should work. I cannot change my DNS because of this service. I do find that GMG is hard to access in Japan at other locations too.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #310 on: May 13, 2018, 01:15:22 PM »
I have a catch - which is that I live in Japan and use a proxy service to enable me to access certain things. That service claims GMG should work. I cannot change my DNS because of this service. I do find that GMG is hard to access in Japan at other locations too.
Often (as right now) when the site isn't working for me, turning on virtual private network on my browser (Opera) works. Could be worth a try for you too maybe?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #311 on: May 13, 2018, 01:31:39 PM »
Often (as right now) when the site isn't working for me, turning on virtual private network on my browser (Opera) works. Could be worth a try for you too maybe?
Thanks! I'll look into it!

Spineur

« Reply #312 on: May 14, 2018, 06:28:01 AM »
Mr Avi Avital got an Echoclassic award for this Vivaldi disc

It may be a commercial affair, but I thought it may be worth checking and I ordered it.

Offline Vinbrulé

« Reply #313 on: May 14, 2018, 06:53:00 AM »
I'm listening just now this very pleasant CD .

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #314 on: May 14, 2018, 09:03:33 AM »

I shall listen soon, and post any ideas, but I'm tempted to say that Pernot's so good it's the only Dufaut I really need! In fact I started to listen to Heinrich and switched after a couple of tracks to Pernot - not that that means anything negative about Henrich.

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #315 on: May 14, 2018, 04:50:55 PM »
Lately I have very much been enjoying Miguel Serduora (aka Miguel Yisrael) as a soloist.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gAZneMKVHIw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gAZneMKVHIw</a>
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 08:24:05 PM by Moonfish »
Anna Lappé

Offline Vinbrulé

« Reply #316 on: May 15, 2018, 07:11:52 AM »
I shall listen soon, and post any ideas, but I'm tempted to say that Pernot's so good it's the only Dufaut I really need! In fact I started to listen to Heinrich and switched after a couple of tracks to Pernot - not that that means anything negative about Henrich.
Louis Pernot 's  Dufaut and Denis Gautier are absolute benchmarks.  Considering that Dufaut was Reusner's teacher (they say) I asked myself why Pernot has never faced Reusner's music.  (Yes, I know, I am a bit fixed on Reusner  :D :D :D :D )

Offline Vinbrulé

« Reply #317 on: May 16, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »
Perhaps I'm going off-topic , but would like to signal this CD of transcriptions for guitar duo of beautiful music by Frederic Mompou .  The originals are for piano, which I also like , but this is even better !! 

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #318 on: May 16, 2018, 08:14:47 PM »
And I've started to explore the delicate, subtle music of Guillaume Morlaye

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #319 on: May 18, 2018, 01:19:18 AM »
And I've started to explore the delicate, subtle music of Guillaume Morlaye

This is a great pick. Wonderful clarity in the playing and the sound quality is nice despite how old this is. I think I like this composer better than Mudarra even.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:38:10 AM by milk »

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.