Author Topic: Schubert Piano Trios BAT 1966 or 1985  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
Schubert Piano Trios BAT 1966 or 1985
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:42:28 AM »
Just wondered for those that have heard both what you prefer.

here is the latter
Cheers

Holden

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
Re: Schubert Piano Trios BAT 1966 or 1985
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:20:40 PM »
Just wondered for those that have heard both what you prefer.

here is the latter

I've heard the BAT '66 but it's been years. I never did own it, though. I've actually owned the pictured BAT but recently let it go because of my dislike for the poorly recorded cello. It's much too subdued for my liking.

If it helps though, Holden, I do have first-hand knowledge of the BAT's two Mozart sets. The differences in those two sets are fairly obvious so I'd hazard the differences in the Schubert sets would be similar.

And as might be expected the main differences center on the violinist. Guilet (sixties) is the more lyrical violinist while Cohen (eighties) is the more dramatic one. The BAT is a different sounding entity depending on which is leading. But to my ears neither BAT can claim superiority over the other since whatever the incarnation the talent pool is still very high. Only the characteristics change.

So it probably comes down to preference. Honestly for me I couldn't pick one over the other.

Sonically both Mozart sets come out aces. The sixties Schubert as I recall it is also finely recorded. The eighties Schubert (pictured) - because of that cello - didn't float my boat. YMMV.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 12:07:09 AM »
Thanks for that reply

I own the '66 and have enjoyed it for years. The other is on Spotify and is a more leisurely interpretation which works in many ways but now that you have mentioned it I suppose that the very forward piano does take some bite out of the cello. The '66 recording has some recording flaws in that the sound is not very clear and as a chamber performance it loses some immediacy which the 85 certainly has. As I now own a superb set of iems that really bring out the bite of deep strings good recording has become a factor.

As a matter of interest, which recording of these wonderful pieces do you put above the BAT? Just about every review uses them as the benchmark. I do like the one that Serkin did with Busch though it is mono.
Cheers

Holden

Online mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 12:42:57 AM »
I'm not much help on the BAT recordings, but the Florestan Trio have some wonderful performances in this music. I don't know how they compare, but they play very well and sound great (and in good, modern sound).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »

As a matter of interest, which recording of these wonderful pieces do you put above the BAT? Just about every review uses them as the benchmark. I do like the one that Serkin did with Busch though it is mono.

For the second  trio, the one that has meant the most to me is with Bezuidenhout, Mullova and Wispelwey from Schwetzingen in May 2010.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:30:33 AM »

Over the years I've had so many recordings of these great pieces I've lost count (mentioned only to provide perspective). The set that's made the most impact on me is by the Golub-Kaplan-Carr trio on Arabesque. Sonics-wise it's first-rate and the interpretations couldn't be more sympathetic.

Additionally, a fine set from Winter & Winter is worth mentioning for the spot-on sonics and energetic performances: La Gaia Scienza on period instruments (though I only have D.929).

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 01:43:17 AM »
Anywhere I can hear the Golub/Kaplan/Carr on line?
Cheers

Holden

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 06:17:51 AM »
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:20:33 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »
That's interesting. Spotify was the first place I looked and it didn't seem to be there. Maybe it's because I'm based in Australia.

Thanks for the link - really appreciated
Cheers

Holden

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 06:48:33 PM »
Older on vinyl and newer on cd for LvB.  I love 'em both for LvB, Holden.

But I am getting two unique sounds, so apples to apples may not apply here.  However, I cannot see why one would not want and enjoy both on the shelf for Schubert as well.  Hmmm, I might just have to grab 'em!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:50:42 PM by Bogey »
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Online Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »
Whichever one has the Stern-Istomin-Rose trio.  Re-issued numerous times.  I also really like the first Naxos recordings by the Stuttgart Trio.  Naxos felt the need to re-record No. 2 with the Kungsbacka Trio, and I haven't heard that, though they did seem to be well received.

kyjo

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »
Schubert's introverted and sublime chamber works are difficult to bring off, but these performances of the piano trios are completely in tune with Schubert's idiom:

The Beaux Arts and Florestan Trios' recordings of romantic chamber music have been real eye-openers for me. :)

Drasko

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 03:58:23 AM »
For the second  trio, the one that has meant the most to me is with Bezuidenhout, Mullova and Wispelwey from Schwetzingen in May 2010.

They were fantastic. The broadcast recording I have is from 2009, which means they've played it a lot, huge shame they haven released commercial recording. That performance convinced me that Bezuidenhout, of whom I knew little previously, is a major talent. Such fluidity on fp.

DavidW

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 04:26:09 AM »
Has Pentatone remastered the older BAT recording?  I've never heard the '85 one, is it on par with the older recording?

Offline early grey

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 05:18:36 AM »
I can't agree that Op.99 is introverted, it is one of the most lively and engaging of all his compositions that I know. The spirit of the dance infuses much of the piece and in this performance the slow movement is played in a most tender fashion but then I'm an old softy and have been since "Roman Holiday". The two trios are at the bottom of the list on this page:

http://www.cliveheathmusic.co.uk/transcriptions_13.php

Schubert, Trio in B flat major, Op.99 (D 898).
played by Trio di Trieste: Renate Zanettovitch (vln), Libero Lana (cello), Dario de Rosa (pno)

Beethoven, Trio in B flat major, Op.97, "Archduke".
played by Henry Holst (vln), Anthony Pini (cello), Solomon (pno)

There seems to be a great deal of syncopation in the "Archduke" trio which is even more apparent if you follow the score on the IMSLP site (which will reveal the cuts that have been made). You can also follow the Schubert which also has cuts.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Trio_in_B-flat_major,_Op.97_(Beethoven,_Ludwig_van)

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.