Author Topic: John Zorn  (Read 16810 times)

Henk

John Zorn
« on: March 31, 2008, 05:36:47 AM »
John Zorn is a multi-talented musician. He plays jazz (saxophone) and also composes classical music. Is anyone here familiar with his composed work? I'm now listening to this album, which I'm rediscovering:

It's very good.

I would like to hear other people's experiences with Zorn as a composer.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
Re: John Zorn
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 07:18:03 AM »
Zorn's disc, Spillane, was one of the first CDs I ever bought--haven't heard it in awhile, but played it quite a bit at first.  Also heard his Cat o' Nine Tails (1988) played by the Kronos Quartet several times, and it's a lot of fun. 

You may know that he is also the Artistic Director of The Stone, a small performance space here in NYC that hosts a huge variety of new and experimental music. 

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

MN Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:01:28 AM »
He's prolific, isn't he?

bwv 1080

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:21:47 AM »
Music for Children, Naked City and New Music for East Asian Bar Bands are my favorite Zorn projects

snyprrr

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:12:57 PM »
Torture Garden is one long evil black sabbath chord for rock band (with screaming) that keeps picking up steam.

lots of screaming in his pieces.

don't like the jazzy stuff.

i have the complete string quartets which is...really great. cat o nine tails should be thee post mod example of a str qrt. the dead man sounds like lachenmann/kagel on steroids...crystalline noise. memento mori is 30min of....well, it makes sense to me, though no one seems to get it. dark, morbid, occasional beautiful sounds, occasional ugly sounds...just a nyc elegy. the last piece, kol nidre, sounds JUST like arvo part, exactly. BUT BUY THIS IS YOU LIKE STR QRTS.
i just find this album thee great example of the downtown scene in the 80s. elliott sharp's quartets are a WHOLE lot more ear splitting and unrelenting.

and no screaming.

Offline istanbul

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:37:49 AM »
he is very interesting musician for me.

you can find everything about JOHN ZORN in this blog:

http://zornography.blogspot.com/

snyprrr

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »
He also apparently loves S/M.

karlhenning

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 07:03:02 AM »
While I was at Buffalo, I was in an ensemble which was to play a piece of Zorn's.  There was no score;  there was a sort of 'set of directions' which was more like militaristic role-playing.  At the time, I was simply in no mood for such rannygazoo, and I found it a dreadfully tedious affair.

Dr. Dread

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 07:08:02 AM »
He also apparently loves S/M.

He definitely has a twisted side which I'm not too thrilled with.  :-\

Offline torut

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 07:05:15 PM »
I don't have other Masada albums, but I love Volac: Book of Angels, Vol. 8 for solo cello, played by Erik Friedlander. Melancholic, beautiful.

Rachsiel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LSKWThVlRg

Offline 7/4

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 01:37:09 AM »
zzz

Offline Octave

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 01:49:14 AM »
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Offline torut

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 06:51:41 AM »
zzz
Boring? I hope you slept well. ;D

I am enjoying the string trios album by Masada String Trio (Book of Angels Vol. 2). They are more lively, containing folkish, jazzy, avant-garde styles. I am not familiar with Jewish music, so I don't know how the compositions are connected to / departed from traditional Jewish modes, scales, etc. Some of them sound Arabic.

Offline jochanaan

• Veteran member
    • Musician, Music Instructor and Piano Tuner
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 06:59:52 AM »
I've played some Zorn charts in one of the bands I'm in (the one that plays for belly dancers ;D).  They're very fun to jam to, and lend themselves well to outside-the-box improvisations. 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Offline 7/4

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »
He's a bit overexposed in the NYC area.

That's all. Carry on.  :laugh:

Offline torut

• Veteran member
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »
I've played some Zorn charts in one of the bands I'm in (the one that plays for belly dancers ;D).  They're very fun to jam to, and lend themselves well to outside-the-box improvisations. 8)
Is it a game piece with a prompter, like Cobra? If you recorded it, please upload it to youtube. ;D

He's a bit overexposed in the NYC area.
I also feel he releases too many CDs, which somehow made me reluctant to check out his music.

Offline torut

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
i have the complete string quartets which is...really great. cat o nine tails should be thee post mod example of a str qrt. the dead man sounds like lachenmann/kagel on steroids...crystalline noise. memento mori is 30min of....well, it makes sense to me, though no one seems to get it. dark, morbid, occasional beautiful sounds, occasional ugly sounds...just a nyc elegy. the last piece, kol nidre, sounds JUST like arvo part, exactly. BUT BUY THIS IS YOU LIKE STR QRTS.
i just find this album thee great example of the downtown scene in the 80s. elliott sharp's quartets are a WHOLE lot more ear splitting and unrelenting.
The string quartets Nos. 1-4 in the album below are really good. I have been interested in it for a long time, and thanks to your strong recommendation, I purchase it today. Cat O'nine Tails is like randomly choosing radio channels. Yes, Lachenmann's name came to mind when hearing The Dead Man and Memento Mori. I am listening to it for the 2nd time today and like them very much. I have not heard Necronomicon or Forbidden Fruit. Zorn composed only 6 string quartets?

snyprrr

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 06:14:49 AM »
The string quartets Nos. 1-4 in the album below are really good. I have been interested in it for a long time, and thanks to your strong recommendation, I purchase it today. Cat O'nine Tails is like randomly choosing radio channels. Yes, Lachenmann's name came to mind when hearing The Dead Man and Memento Mori. I am listening to it for the 2nd time today and like them very much. I have not heard Necronomicon or Forbidden Fruit. Zorn composed only 6 string quartets?

'Memento Mori' sounds like a half hour SQ by some Avant Master- I like it. The whole album is a nice document. How about that nasty anal/scat drawering on the inside cover??? I'd be happy with some normal sex, thank you... hmmm...

I'm always wondering how depraved the Composers of some of my favorite music are :(.

Offline torut

• Veteran member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 07:52:08 AM »
'Memento Mori' sounds like a half hour SQ by some Avant Master- I like it. The whole album is a nice document.
Have you heard Necronomicon (in Magick) or Forbidden Fruit (in Kronos's compilation album)?

How about that nasty anal/scat drawering on the inside cover??? I'd be happy with some normal sex, thank you... hmmm...

I'm always wondering how depraved the Composers of some of my favorite music are :(.
Unfortunately, I purchased the mp3 album, so I cannot see the inside cover. Actually, those gross album covers are one of the reasons I hesitated to buy them.
I suspect his bad taste is just pretension. Or, does he really love and practice s&m? :-\

snyprrr

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 09:31:32 AM »
Have you heard Necronomicon (in Magick) or Forbidden Fruit (in Kronos's compilation album)?
Unfortunately, I purchased the mp3 album, so I cannot see the inside cover. Actually, those gross album covers are one of the reasons I hesitated to buy them.
I suspect his bad taste is just pretension. Or, does he really love and practice s&m? :-\

I'm thinking he's a typically depraved "nice boy from Brooklyn". Don't want to hear a piece by Zorn called 'Necronomicon'- yea, either he's a Kenneth Anger wannabe or a PikeBlavatskCrowlee wannabe- probably has "Chosen-itis"... dwelling on "expression" (acting out)... have you seen the video that shooter kid in Ca. posted?- that's the kind of attitude I feel from Zorn's kind. (not necessarily against "hot blondes", but more in the deist hate) If he were based in West Palm Beach they'd call it StormfrontMusic?

brrrrrr, yuk