Author Topic: Webern's Vibe  (Read 17770 times)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
Re: Webern's Vibe OH, THE DRAMA!!
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2017, 12:21:22 AM »
I think we're all on the same page here. What's funny is, we all agree that ANYTHING BUT, as Nielien said, Mozart or Verdi, is actually GOOD Vocal Music. I love the Gregg Smith Singers, lol, maybe they've sung Mozart!

???

I quail at the thought of 2nd Viennese Lieder/Leider (what is it again?), even if Roger Daltry were singing,

Do you like Pierrot Lunaire?   :-\

btw- it's too hard for me not to take Op.6 for granted. I agree, though, that it is actually quite bizarre, but I do hear the rustic rustling of leaves still just a bit- it is still human- whereas Selsi writes as if FROM the other side of the door Webern was opening. It's still a human experience with Webern- though, the Op.28 I might say is going abstrea

Webern is all over the place when it comes to human vs Cosmic, Op 9/10 are definitely something else (like op 28/30) but in the middle of that you got all these other really deeply emotional (yet really innovative and crazily complex) pieces and the lieder.

Where do you think Op 24 Concerto for Nine Instruments fits in? that is like
I. Foghorns at dusk
II. Waltz into the shadows
III. Silent destruction of earth

All in one piece  ;)

Still, all music instills emotion and images, that can't be escaped.

I agree with Scelsi, his music is so nuanced and organic that it can feel quite otherworldly (like some of Ligeti's more spacious works?). Stockhausen too is very otherworldly but much more "grand" and "attention grabbing" (in a physical sense) so that is intriguing. They all continue on from that mysticalness of Scriabin (Webern channels it too whether he realized it or not)

The thing that is fascinating (as they all work around clusters and stuff) is it contrasts radically with Xenakis' primitive, raw human emotion. Everything is there to be absorbed, nothing is dialed back to be less offensive, it's all guns blazing. Yet, IX still often has those grand, celestial and cosmic pieces too  :o

There is something powerful about kind of aesthetic, which Webern may be the first to truly take it that step further (despite Scriabin's very euphoric contributions)  :)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
Re: Webern's Vibe
« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2017, 05:40:13 AM »
If you can spare the soprano  :laugh: Op 16 is really, really, really interesting and one of many amazing oddities in Webern's catalogue  ;D

Offline Le Moderniste

• Birthdate: Year (YYYY) - Month (MM) - Day (DD)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Stravinsky, Webern, Messiaen, Stockhausen, GRISEY
Re: Webern's Vibe
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2017, 03:07:10 AM »
The day Smalin/Musanim does a video of Webern's Symphony, I will be able to die satisfied  :D

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK