Author Topic: Webern's Vibe  (Read 19951 times)

snyprrr

Re: Webern's Vibe OH, THE DRAMA!!
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2017, 06:52:21 AM »
Me and singing. It's a blind spot. Or deaf spot.

Let's start a Club!!

It's not your fault, it is the fault of whomever said that Classical Music singers had to all sound like warbling Opera singers, everything deriving from some misbegotten notion of what the human voice is supposed to sound like.

I'm sure you have a favorite "singer",... say, Linda Ronstadt or Peter Gabriel or Frank Sinatra. HAS IT EVER OCCURED to anyone what Classical Music would sound like with "natural" singers?

Jan deGaetani and all those new fangled singers from the 60s, had NO VIBRATO and sang as pure as they were able. I can't think of any singer today emulating their style.

If Christina Aguilera(?) really has such a good voice (or Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey), why do we not ever hear ANY "normal" singer go rouge.

Or even if Diamanda Galas (I just pop a boner writing that, lol!!) would sing Webern as it was meant to be sung...

I dunno, Classical Music singers just seem like a waste to me :( :'( :-[
\

I think I have SOME singing of Classical Music that actually SOUNDS GOOD!!

OH THE DRAMA!!!! :o

Offline nodogen

• Veteran member
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »
Let's start a Club!!

It's not your fault, it is the fault of whomever said that Classical Music singers had to all sound like warbling Opera singers, everything deriving from some misbegotten notion of what the human voice is supposed to sound like.

I'm sure you have a favorite "singer",... say, Linda Ronstadt or Peter Gabriel or Frank Sinatra. HAS IT EVER OCCURED to anyone what Classical Music would sound like with "natural" singers?

Jan deGaetani and all those new fangled singers from the 60s, had NO VIBRATO and sang as pure as they were able. I can't think of any singer today emulating their style.

If Christina Aguilera(?) really has such a good voice (or Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey), why do we not ever hear ANY "normal" singer go rouge.

Or even if Diamanda Galas (I just pop a boner writing that, lol!!) would sing Webern as it was meant to be sung...

I dunno, Classical Music singers just seem like a waste to me :( :'( :-[
\

I think I have SOME singing of Classical Music that actually SOUNDS GOOD!!

OH THE DRAMA!!!! :o

Crumbs, I understood your post and agree with you. One of us has messed our meds up.

I do indeed hate opera.

Classical singing doesn't have to be....the way it is. Gorecki's Symphony no.3 is completely divine.

(Please don't mention Galas singing Webern to alien. He'd never survive the popping)

Offline nodogen

• Veteran member
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
Agreed, there are exceptions but I am generally quite indifferent to the standard vocal style in classical music. I don't get why classical tradition thinks that it has to sing like that, it's often to hard to get into as well  >:(

I think the first opera that I actually liked (and indeed fell straight in love with) was Ligeti's Le Grande Macabre which may be semi-ironic considering that it is in part mocking opera (and existentialism conceptually). You already know how much I love Stockhausen's Licht, so I'll keep that one out of this  ;)

There are operatic and vocal pieces I like such as Monteverdi's Orfeo, Mahler's Wunderhorn, Schubert's songs etc but they seem to be strange exceptions. I guess I'm always in a reluctant spot with this stuff  ::)

It seems weird (but not) to point out that Renaissance music means the world to me, considering how much of it is vocal music  :laugh: Though they are often 'vocal ensembles' in a sense, so it's not focused on specific voices; rather a wash of lots of polyphonic voices.

If you ever want me to slit my throat, put on a Mozart or Verdi opera  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  >:D

Galas, like Xenakis' vocal works (Ais, Oresteia etc), is VIOLENT/aggressive/ritualistic and that is what I wish I saw more of in classical music  :'( :'( :'(
The 20th century avant garde has produced the greatest classical vocal works IMO.

;D

Yes I have various vocal stuff, such as Ligeti and Tallis, it's not vocal music in principle I don't enjoy, it's the typical "style." To my ignorant ears it doesn't sound "natural." 😕

Offline nodogen

• Veteran member
Re: Webern's Vibe
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2017, 11:30:03 PM »
Nodogen, have you heard Op 6?

Yep, it's on the Ulster Orchestra / Yuasa CD that I have.

snyprrr

« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »
Agreed, there are exceptions but I am generally quite indifferent to the standard vocal style in classical music. I don't get why classical tradition thinks that it has to sing like that, it's often to hard to get into as well  >:(

I think the first opera that I actually liked (and indeed fell straight in love with) was Ligeti's Le Grande Macabre which may be semi-ironic considering that it is in part mocking opera (and existentialism conceptually). You already know how much I love Stockhausen's Licht, so I'll keep that one out of this  ;)

There are operatic and vocal pieces I like such as Monteverdi's Orfeo, Mahler's Wunderhorn, Schubert's songs etc but they seem to be strange exceptions. I guess I'm always in a reluctant spot with this stuff  ::)

It seems weird (but not) to point out that Renaissance music means the world to me, considering how much of it is vocal music  :laugh: Though they are often 'vocal ensembles' in a sense, so it's not focused on specific voices; rather a wash of lots of polyphonic voices.

If you ever want me to slit my throat, put on a Mozart or Verdi opera  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  >:D

Galas, like Xenakis' vocal works (Ais, Oresteia etc), is VIOLENT/aggressive/ritualistic and that is what I wish I saw more of in classical music  :'( :'( :'(
The 20th century avant garde has produced the greatest classical vocal works IMO.

;D

I think we're all on the same page here. What's funny is, we all agree that ANYTHING BUT, as Nielien said, Mozart or Verdi, is actually GOOD Vocal Music. I love the Gregg Smith Singers, lol, maybe they've sung Mozart!

Elizabeth Soderstrom ::)

I quail at the thought of 2nd Viennese Lieder/Leider (what is it again?), even if Roger Daltry were singing,

wait...what???

btw- it's too hard for me not to take Op.6 for granted. I agree, though, that it is actually quite bizarre, but I do hear the rustic rustling of leaves still just a bit- it is still human- whereas Selsi writes as if FROM the other side of the door Webern was opening. It's still a human experience with Webern- though, the Op.28 I might say is going abstrea

my computer >:D

wtf do I keep accidentally hitting?? >:D >:D >:D

You did it

Re: Webern's Vibe
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2017, 03:07:10 AM »
The day Smalin/Musanim does a video of Webern's Symphony, I will be able to die satisfied  :D