Author Topic: Any Doctor Who fans?  (Read 4291 times)

hornteacher

Any Doctor Who fans?
« on: April 08, 2008, 06:17:35 PM »
The new season started this past weekend.  I'm looking forward to seeing Catherine Tate as a regular.  Anyone watching the series?

gomro

Re: Any Doctor Who fans?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 05:17:09 PM »
The new season started this past weekend.  I'm looking forward to seeing Catherine Tate as a regular.  Anyone watching the series?

I haven't seen it since the Eccleston season, but that season was possibly the best I had ever seen.  Certainly the best since the halcyon days of Tom Baker (Talons of Weng Chiang, Genesis of the Daleks, etc)

hornteacher

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:03:56 PM »
I haven't seen it since the Eccleston season, but that season was possibly the best I had ever seen.  Certainly the best since the halcyon days of Tom Baker (Talons of Weng Chiang, Genesis of the Daleks, etc)

Well the new series has made some fantastic episodes over the past three years (a few weak ones too), but the majority of the work is very high quality.  David Tennant is doing a marvellous job as the lead.

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 11:19:19 PM »
For about a second upon (mis)reading the thread title I got the mental image of doctors prowling hospital corridors with fans in their hands.

Offline KevinP

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:50:39 AM »
Long time fan here.
I'm glad it's back, but I wish RTD would step aside and let someone else produce it. He was good for getting it re-started but I feel he's holding it back now.

I like Tennant but he ain't my favourite.

hornteacher

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 03:21:48 PM »
Long time fan here.
I'm glad it's back, but I wish RTD would step aside and let someone else produce it. He was good for getting it re-started but I feel he's holding it back now.

AMEN!  His production isn't too bad, its his writing that I can't stand.  Ever notice how weak his scripts are compared to Steve Moffat and Paul Cornell (who are winning all the BAFTA and Hugo awards)?

Offline KevinP

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 01:52:26 AM »
RTD has given us rhino-people, tree-people, cat people and two different varieties of pig-people. Can we get any more Flash Gordonish? DW is campier now than it ever was!

Offline KevinP

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 01:12:48 AM »
Woo-hoo! RTD steps down, Moffat steps up. It's official!

hornteacher

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 03:31:09 AM »
Woo-hoo! RTD steps down, Moffat steps up. It's official!

YES!

(Cue Heavenly chorus..........)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:59:31 AM »
Reviving an old, but golden, thread. Was listening to Murray Gold's soundtrack from season 5 and inspired me. Have a listen.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ND9-z0EBEnk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ND9-z0EBEnk</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NCDG-72wI-Y&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NCDG-72wI-Y&amp;feature=related</a>

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 01:53:10 AM »
I adore the original Doctor Who series, especially Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker eras. The way everything looks and sounds is wonderfully corny but also clever at the same time.

The new Doctor Who series has much higher production values but that makes it also less interesting.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
  • Currently Listening to:
    Rihm, Bialas, Ballif, Schumann, Schubert
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 02:07:12 AM »
I've never really tried to get into the older series, but I did like the film Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.

I enjoy the reboot but find the fancy multi-part episodes to be disappointing, I prefer freak of the week.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 05:34:39 AM »
My younger work colleague is a fanatical Dr Who/David Tennant fan.

As for me - Bring back William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton (a very good actor)!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

DavidW

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 06:17:10 AM »
I think that each new season of the new show is worse than the last.  I loved Tennant as the Dr btw (and I like Matt Smith too), but the writing is just shit.  And it's getting worse!  It has no coherence, giving away to plot twists and unearned displays of grandiosity.  I especially hate the multiple times where a character goes on about how bad/good/great/boss the Doctor is when he has not earned that through what WE HAVE ACTUALLY SEEN IN THE SHOW.  The writers seem to be a fan of tell not show, anything important to character or plot is either glossed over or skipped entirely to get to the next grandiose set piece.

The show has come back for the second half season, I think I'll tell amazon vod that I no longer want the season pass.

Bring me back classic Who!  Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee were funny and charming, the stories were obviously cheesy but told in the logical way that stories should be told, without insane displays of melodrama in either monologue or stupid set pieces.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 09:22:39 AM »
I believe all of your observations about the most recent Dr. Who series are correct...although, I am a fan of the new Doctor (Matt Smith) and the new man-in-charge (head writer/Ex. Producer Steven Moffat). The monster-of-the-week episodes still exist, but reoccurring plot lines continue to make their presence. In fact, that is a big part of Steven Moffat's new focus in the show is an arc that continues from episode to episode. The Doctor's new incarnation, Matt Smith, is much angrier than before, and this has even been brought up within episodes, and the melodrama is laid on fairly thick at times, which I find relates comfortably to the amount of sadness that the Doctor now seems to inhabit.

The 5th season of the new series, Matt Smith's first season, from beginning to end is an amazing ride. Every episode is important, as many of the characters and events that take place during these come back into play in the final 2 episodes, and it feels as if you're watching a feature film.

But like I said, I can understand some of the issues that Doctor Who fans have with the current series.

Here's a track from season 3's soundtrack by Murray Gold...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/idQRiLZukG0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/idQRiLZukG0</a>

eyeresist

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
I've never really tried to get into the older series, but I did like the film Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.

I can still hum the march theme from that film!

The original Who series was very talky compared to the new one - in this case, talky = better :)

DavidW

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »
The original Who series was very talky compared to the new one - in this case, talky = better :)

OMG we agree on something! ;D

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 05:46:26 AM »
During the week I've just spent with my brother, we watched some five episodes (one Eccleston, four Tennant) . . . and I found them all to be good fun.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 05:55:25 AM »
During the week I've just spent with my brother, we watched some five episodes (one Eccleston, four Tennant) . . . and I found them all to be good fun.

They are tons of fun, Karl. I'm a huge fan of the new series since it returned in 2005.

Let me know if you want to talk some "Who", I'm always up for it.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 06:08:57 AM »
Let me know if you want to talk some "Who", I'm always up for it.
Like this?  ;)

The Who with a PhD (or some other doctorate) I haven't watched, though.   :-X
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK