Author Topic: Any Doctor Who fans?  (Read 3749 times)

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Any Doctor Who fans?
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 06:11:14 AM »
Tangentially, when I was lightly reading Townshend's autobiography, I was pleased to read that he thought this cover illustration a particularly low concept  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Scots John

• Veteran member
  • My features when Brahms is on...
    • Facebook
    It's what I'm NOT listening to that's more interesting...
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 06:15:03 AM »
My favourite Doctor Who was John Pertwee.  He was the one I grew up with.  After that, I stopped watching it... :(
Dear Cats
You are a bunch of screeching, scratching, fish loving bums.  But I do love you all.
Kind regards
Scots John

DavidW

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »
During the week I've just spent with my brother, we watched some five episodes (one Eccleston, four Tennant) . . . and I found them all to be good fun.

Yup good stuff, just ignore the newer episodes, my vitriolic rant regarding the poor writing in the Matt Smith era still stands. :P

DavidW

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
My favourite Doctor Who was John Pertwee.  He was the one I grew up with.  After that, I stopped watching it... :(

My favorite is Tom Baker.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 11:39:06 AM »
Rant on, Macduff!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »
Hang on, I saw more of Eccleston than I reported . . . "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances," too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »
Well, and I've seen one of the Matt Smith episodes, too ("Vincent and the Doctor").

Sometimes it seems all I did last week was compose and watch Doctor Who . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »
During the week I've just spent with my brother, we watched some five episodes (one Eccleston, four Tennant) . . . and I found them all to be good fun.

Corrigenda: . . . some eight episodes (three Eccleston, four Tennant, one Smith).  All fun, though, I'll stand by that  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Xenophanes

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 01:54:44 PM »
I see some episodes now and then, but for quite a while, I lacked the time.

My favorite Doctors were Tom Baker and rather to my surprise, Sylvester McCoy, who certainly rose to occasion--I also liked his companion, Ace, who reminded me of a young woman I know (that was over 20 years ago. She is now a successful businesswoman, kids in college, divorce, etc.).

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »
Well, and I've seen one of the Matt Smith episodes, too ("Vincent and the Doctor").

Sometimes it seems all I did last week was compose and watch Doctor Who . . . .

IOW, a high quality, highly productive week.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 05:58:18 PM »
So, any doctor who fans? Particularly the old series? Anyone watching any of series 10 featuring Peter Capaldi as the Doctor with Matt Lucas and Pearl Mackie in lead roles as well?

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 06:28:08 PM »
Like I said, I watched the original series. But I can't contribute much because it was so long ago...
Having said that, there are a few things I remember.
You have to realise that it was one of the few TV shows back then that had a scary and suspenseful element. And although it was predictable and the reveals often handled clumsily, they were occasionally quite effective.

One example was 'The Sontaran Experiment'. I wasn't a little kid back then, but I was young and I watched this story in the knowledge that the alien was going to take his helmet off and we'd see what he looked like. So, the end of the episode is nearing and he's standing with his back to the camera and he takes his helmet off and the end music starts and he turns around...

http://pa1.narvii.com/6060/acae6b07e184ba955f1985319c830804255bbec7_hq.gif

I didn't like that at all. :(

But to me that's what Dr. Who was good for - cheap scares and (somewhat tepid) excitement. And of course -

(Note: I linked the animated gif so North Star wouldn't shout at me)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 06:52:31 PM »
So, any doctor who fans? Particularly the old series? Anyone watching any of series 10 featuring Peter Capaldi as the Doctor with Matt Lucas and Pearl Mackie in lead roles as well?

I'm a fan. Started when the new series was resurrected, but have watched some of the older/original episodes.
And this might be Capaldi's best season so far, Mackie and Lucas bring nice variety to the show.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 07:47:19 PM »
But to me that's what Dr. Who was good for - cheap scares and (somewhat tepid) excitement. And of course -

Same character, post regeneration:

That's better! 8)

Have you seen 'City of Death'? Personal favourite Doctor Who adventure featuring this version of Romana and Tom Baker as the Doctor.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 07:49:20 PM »
I'm a fan. Started when the new series was resurrected, but have watched some of the older/original episodes.
And this might be Capaldi's best season so far, Mackie and Lucas bring nice variety to the show.

I do agree, although I said the same thing last season. I do have to say that if this season produces something better than Heaven Sent then I will be surprised.....

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »
Same character, post regeneration:

That's better! 8)

Have you seen 'City of Death'? Personal favourite Doctor Who adventure featuring this version of Romana and Tom Baker as the Doctor.

As I said, I stopped watching it after Mary Tamm quit and so I haven't seen it. Why is it such a favourite for you?.
And didn't that other Romana hook up or something with Tom Baker in real-life?

Also -
I've just checked and the last episodes of the new version I watched was 'Victory of the Daleks' from 2010.
Before that in 2007 I saw 'Voyage of the Damned' with Bernard Cribbins, although I mostly associate his role in the series from way back in the feature film 'Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D'.
Have you seen either of the feature films? Or are they not considered canon?

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 08:37:35 PM »
As I said, I stopped watching it after Mary Tamm quit and so I haven't seen it. Why is it such a favourite for you?.
And didn't that other Romana hook up or something with Tom Baker in real-life?

Also -
I've just checked and the last episodes of the new version I watched was 'Victory of the Daleks' from 2010.
Before that in 2007 I saw 'Voyage of the Damned' with Bernard Cribbins, although I mostly associate his role in the series from way back in the feature film 'Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D'.
Have you seen either of the feature films? Or are they not considered canon?
'City of Death' is a very snappy, fun episode which actually uses time travel as part of the plot. Douglas Adams co-wrote this and I think it's the highlight of Tom Baker's later years. Also the first time Doctor Who was filmed abroad (in Paris). It features a plot to steal the Mona Lisa, an alien stranded on Earth after his ship exploded, but scattered throughout Earth's history (there's quite a bit of time travel in this), superb performances from the entire cast, a John Cleese cameo and a really brilliant script.

Lalla Ward did end up with Tom Baker for a short while (were they married?) but that didn't last long.

My favourite companion was Sarah Jane Smith (played by Elisabeth Sladen). I haven't seen a Doctor and companion duo work so well on screen since then. 10th Doctor (Tennant) and Donna Noble (Catherine Tate) is probably the next closest since then.

Bernard Cribbins had a fantastic character in 2007 and continued in 2008 and for a 2 part special 2009/10 . I haven't seen the 1960s Dalek movies, not sure if I would watch them but maybe I will just out of curiosity. I think they're more a product of the popularity of the Daleks during the 1960s and are just a different take on Doctor Who without actually being canon with the televised series.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:39:13 PM by jessop »

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 02:12:40 AM »

I live in Finland were I believe Classic Doctor Who was never shown on TV. In 2006? 2007? maybe I discovered the show on a Scifi Channel I happened to subscribe at the time. It was The Green Death and I fell in love with the show in 5 minutes! I could hardly believe something so wonderfully sympathetic existed. I have collected the show on DVD, as expensive as it is to be a Doctor Who fan. BBC knows how to milk. Before 2006 or so I didn't really know about the existence of the classic Doctor Who. In restropect I realised how many music artists such as KLF and Orbital have used the music of Doctor Who, Dalek sounds etc. It's crazy to discover at age 35 something culturally almost as remarkable as Star Wars, but better late than never!

I have occasionally watched the new Doctor Who on TV, but it is just a well done scifi tv show among others to me. Too fast and furious serious to love.

Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker are my favorites, but all classic Doctor Who actors are very good. I don't like Sylvester McCoy-years as much as the earlier years, but that is not McCoy's fault. The show just doesn't stylistically have the appeal to me. Especially the music becomes annoying and stupid in the wrong way. The show starts to go downhill after Peter Davison. Obviously they tried to make the show feel more modern, but the steps they made are not to my liking.

The great thing about this show is it's amazing ability to be stupid in a lovable way. Old Doctor Who is the perfect solution to how to do things on a showstring budget. It's just amazing what they accomplished with so little! So much talent!

It is sad how almost 100 Doctor Who episodes are missing perhaps forever.  :'(

For me, there are three eras of Classic Doctor Who with distinctive feel to them:

(1) William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton
(2) Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Colin Baker
(3) Sylvester McCoy

Era (1) has a strong serious sci-fi feel to it, but is also fun to watch for the great actors playing the Doctor and for the overall clumsiness.
Era (2) has a more laidback feel, especially after Jon Pertwee. The show really wants to be entertaining! And it is, big time!
Era (3) What happened? Why did they replace sympathetic and lovable style with annoying style?

Of the 12 Sylvester McCoy stories, Time and the Rani, Paradise Towers and The Happiness Patrol manage to hit the right Doctor Who feel stylistically.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 02:25:41 AM »
One example was 'The Sontaran Experiment'. I wasn't a little kid back then, but I was young and I watched this story in the knowledge that the alien was going to take his helmet off and we'd see what he looked like. So, the end of the episode is nearing and he's standing with his back to the camera and he takes his helmet off and the end music starts and he turns around...

http://pa1.narvii.com/6060/acae6b07e184ba955f1985319c830804255bbec7_hq.gif

I didn't like that at all. :(

Why didn't you like that at all? Considering the budget they had I think the sontarans are a stunning accomplishment and I was just thrilled to see the helmet removed for the first time, in 2006 or 2007 at age 35 or 36! The eyes and tongue especially are quite effective imo.

Btw, that gif is not from The Sontaran Experiment, but from The Time Warrior;)

My Sound Cloud page

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 02:42:35 AM »
'City of Death' is a very snappy, fun episode which actually uses time travel as part of the plot. Douglas Adams co-wrote this and I think it's the highlight of Tom Baker's later years. Also the first time Doctor Who was filmed abroad (in Paris). It features a plot to steal the Mona Lisa, an alien stranded on Earth after his ship exploded, but scattered throughout Earth's history (there's quite a bit of time travel in this), superb performances from the entire cast, a John Cleese cameo and a really brilliant script.

City of Death is great and has a special feel to it thanks to the Paris stuff and Julian Glover, but I don't consider it superior to the other stories.

Lalla Ward did end up with Tom Baker for a short while (were they married?) but that didn't last long.

After the short marriage with Tom Baker, Lalla Ward became the wife of one Richard Dawkins, but they separated last year. Douglas Adams introduced Lalla Ward to Richard Dawkins in 1992.

My Sound Cloud page

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK