Author Topic: Any Doctor Who fans?  (Read 3760 times)

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
Re: Any Doctor Who fans?
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 03:04:44 AM »

For me, there are three eras of Classic Doctor Who with distinctive feel to them:

(1) William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton
(2) Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Colin Baker
(3) Sylvester McCoy

Era (1) has a strong serious sci-fi feel to it, but is also fun to watch for the great actors playing the Doctor and for the overall clumsiness.
Era (2) has a more laidback feel, especially after Jon Pertwee. The show really wants to be entertaining! And it is, big time!
Era (3) What happened? Why did they replace sympathetic and lovable style with annoying style?

Of the 12 Sylvester McCoy stories, Time and the Rani, Paradise Towers and The Happiness Patrol manage to hit the right Doctor Who feel stylistically.

Curiously, I don't think 'Time and the Rani' or 'Paradise Towers' are particularly well loved in McCoy's three years as the Doctor. Season 24 (1987) had to be written and put together under such a tight time constraint because of uncertainty as to whether the show will go on after Colin Baker got fired (worst choice for the show ever) that it unfortunately suffered. The poor MIDI orchestra soundtrack sucks from seasons 24 to 26, I must say, but I do think that the introduction of Ace allowed the writers for a really interesting dynamic between Doctor and Companion.

I still haven't watched the very final story, 'Survival', which has actually been given a lot of praise.....they must have faith in the writer of that one (Rona Munro) to bring her back for a story in the current season (season 36 aka series 10 of the reboot).

I do really love The Happiness Patrol, particularly for McCoy's performance and the very bittersweet happy/unhappy ending. I think during Colin Baker's and McCoy's time in the role the bright, jarring colours and 80s feel to many things add a certain bizarreness that actually worked really well. Particularly in The Happiness Patrol.

Here's a favourite scene of mine:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g6c6AxhAal0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g6c6AxhAal0</a>

I do love this aspect to McCoy's Doctor.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:08:24 AM by jessop »

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 03:59:50 AM »
Curiously, I don't think 'Time and the Rani' or 'Paradise Towers' are particularly well loved in McCoy's three years as the Doctor.

Well, frankly I don't care. I have my favorites and other people have their favorites. People may love the show for different reasons. I have my reasons. Peter Davison's "The Caves of Androzani" is praised as one of the best Doctor Who stories ever, but for me it is pretty mediocre, if even that. Some people prefer the "rational" or "adult" stories while other people prefer "silly" stories for the silliness. I don't really know what I prefer, some stories just have more stuff in them that appeals to me. However, to me classic Doctor Who is so wonderful that even at it's worst it's more entertaining than the average show on tv.

I do think that the introduction of Ace allowed the writers for a really interesting dynamic between Doctor and Companion.

Ace is one of my least favorite characters in the show. They obviously tried to have a really cool female character in the show, but it doesn't work well for me (wrong show?).

I still haven't watched the very final story, 'Survival', which has actually been given a lot of praise.....they must have faith in the writer of that one (Rona Munro) to bring her back for a story in the current season (season 36 aka series 10 of the reboot).
I have watched Survival once and I survived it.  ;D  I'm not in a hurry to rewatch it any time soon. There's good stuff in McCoy's era, but the style of the show isn't my cup of tea. There's a lot of physical fighting in these last years, something I find boring and just stupid. I watch wrestling for that kind of entertaiment.

I do really love The Happiness Patrol, particularly for McCoy's performance and the very bittersweet happy/unhappy ending. I think during Colin Baker's and McCoy's time in the role the bright, jarring colours and 80s feel to many things add a certain bizarreness that actually worked really well. Particularly in The Happiness Patrol.
Yes, sometimes the bizarre feel contributes nicely.

Here's a favourite scene of mine:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g6c6AxhAal0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g6c6AxhAal0</a>

I do love this aspect to McCoy's Doctor.

McCoy certainly is good in that scene. I need to watch The Happiness Patrol again. I rewatch Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker and Peter Davison the most.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 04:06:36 AM »
Big fan  :)

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2017, 04:53:59 AM »
Not sure exactly what sort of tone I like from the show. Some of the more fun/silly stories (like City of Death, The Pirate Planet, Partners in Crime, Robots of Sherwood, The Return of Doctor Mysterio) have been wonderful and others have slightly deterred me (some of Moffatt's earlier Christmas specials). Any period I find the show mediocre I still tend to watch, purely because it has never failed to entertain me. I have grown a liking to some of the darker stories the show has to offer, particularly Vengeance on Varos. Would Genesis of the Daleks at all be considered on the darker side? A few of the cliffhangers and the entire setting itself I thought were rather horrifying.

Just a new thought I have had recently............I feel the show seems to suffer from too many single 45 minute episodes. Hardly any room to really tell a story and get to know characters like one would across 90 to 100 minutes (two 45 minute episodes or four 25 minute episodes). Some recent episodes are absolutely fine at 45 minutes, but they tend to be stories with very few characters beyond the Doctor and Bill (or any other travelling companion who happens to be there). The second episode of the current season (Smile) seems to be the best example of this. The third episode (Thin Ice) only just manages to pack in everything it has without feeling too rushed.......but the episodes after that certainly felt very rushed due to time constraints.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2017, 05:49:53 AM »
Not sure exactly what sort of tone I like from the show. Some of the more fun/silly stories (like City of Death, The Pirate Planet, Partners in Crime, Robots of Sherwood, The Return of Doctor Mysterio) have been wonderful and others have slightly deterred me (some of Moffatt's earlier Christmas specials). Any period I find the show mediocre I still tend to watch, purely because it has never failed to entertain me. I have grown a liking to some of the darker stories the show has to offer, particularly Vengeance on Varos. Would Genesis of the Daleks at all be considered on the darker side? A few of the cliffhangers and the entire setting itself I thought were rather horrifying.

Genesis of the Daleks was the first Doctor Who story I bought on DVD. I had not seen it on TV, because the scifi channel just skipped it for some reason (and I think showed the stories in not so correct order). Genesis of the Dalek is very good in my opinion. It certainly is dark and Davros is awesome in it, the ultimate creepy, mad and manipulative super-intelligent scientist!  >:D

Vengeance on Varos is good too.

Just a new thought I have had recently............I feel the show seems to suffer from too many single 45 minute episodes. Hardly any room to really tell a story and get to know characters like one would across 90 to 100 minutes (two 45 minute episodes or four 25 minute episodes). Some recent episodes are absolutely fine at 45 minutes, but they tend to be stories with very few characters beyond the Doctor and Bill (or any other travelling companion who happens to be there). The second episode of the current season (Smile) seems to be the best example of this. The third episode (Thin Ice) only just manages to pack in everything it has without feeling too rushed.......but the episodes after that certainly felt very rushed due to time constraints.

I have only seen a dozen or so episodes of new Doctor Who, but I am ready to agree. I find the stories too fast and rushed. At best the new Doctor Who is epic (cool cgi and "pompous" music etc.), but it doesn't have that warmth the classic series had. Kids of today need speed, their attention span is very short. You slow down for 10 seconds and you lose them.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2017, 05:58:50 AM »
Vengeance on Varos also introduced one of my favourite Doctor Who villains: Sil.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fXCLN2mbFIo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fXCLN2mbFIo</a>

Btw if anyone is interested, Spotify has a bunch of Big Finish Doctor Who audio adventures. I've heard a few of them and they really really are worth checking out. It's because of Big Finish that we can truly experience Paul McGann's 8th Doctor going on adventures.....and he really is amazing in the role!

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2017, 06:27:53 AM »
Vengeance on Varos also introduced one of my favourite Doctor Who villains: Sil.

Yep, Sil is creative, bold and crazy as a concept.  ;D

Btw if anyone is interested, Spotify has a bunch of Big Finish Doctor Who audio adventures. I've heard a few of them and they really really are worth checking out. It's because of Big Finish that we can truly experience Paul McGann's 8th Doctor going on adventures.....and he really is amazing in the role!

Oh, never occurred to my mind! Thanks for the info!  ;)

My Sound Cloud page

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2017, 06:33:59 AM »
'City of Death' is a very snappy, fun episode which actually uses time travel as part of the plot. Douglas Adams co-wrote this and I think it's the highlight of Tom Baker's later years. Also the first time Doctor Who was filmed abroad (in Paris). It features a plot to steal the Mona Lisa, an alien stranded on Earth after his ship exploded, but scattered throughout Earth's history (there's quite a bit of time travel in this), superb performances from the entire cast, a John Cleese cameo and a really brilliant script.

Now that's kind of familiar.  :)

Bernard Cribbins had a fantastic character in 2007 and continued in 2008 and for a 2 part special 2009/10 . I haven't seen the 1960s Dalek movies, not sure if I would watch them but maybe I will just out of curiosity. I think they're more a product of the popularity of the Daleks during the 1960s and are just a different take on Doctor Who without actually being canon with the televised series.

In a way I think they suffer from trying to be all things to all people, which means they have awkwardly placed moments of comedy and even hints of romance. But they're probably worth seeing at least once if you get the chance.

Why didn't you like that at all? Considering the budget they had I think the sontarans are a stunning accomplishment and I was just thrilled to see the helmet removed for the first time, in 2006 or 2007 at age 35 or 36! The eyes and tongue especially are quite effective imo.

Btw, that gif is not from The Sontaran Experiment, but from The Time Warrior;)

Sorry, I didn't explain that correctly. 'Didn't like' = 'creeped me out'.
And thanks for the correction :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Steven Wilson (1967 -)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Steve Hackett, Anathema, Rush, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Björk, David Sylvian, Peter Gabriel
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2017, 06:35:40 AM »
There’s so many Dr. Who series that I’m not even sure which one I like. What would be nice is to have a breakdown of each series along with the original airing year or would this be too much to ask?
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 06:36:47 AM »
I do agree, although I said the same thing last season. I do have to say that if this season produces something better than Heaven Sent then I will be surprised.....

That was a great episode!

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »
There’s so many Dr. Who series that I’m not even sure which one I like. What would be nice is to have a breakdown of each series along with the original airing year or would this be too much to ask?

Wikipedia of course!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials
Click on the links in the first season for a season by season breakdown, or the links in the second column for a dictor by doctor breakdown.

My intro was several years of off and on viewing on the local PBS station. They only showed them at midnight on Saturdays. I was in my twenties. Plenty of Saturday nights I wasn't home at midnight. >:D

My real intro was by way of paperback novelizations...meaning I've read many of the stories without ever seeing them on TV.
Here is one of them

Some of them seem to have been republished in recent years with different cover art. Of course there are now graphic and print novels out focusing on the reboot, and/or radio-audio dramas that are spinoffs.

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 08:28:20 AM »
BTW for City of Death fans

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »
Sorry, I didn't explain that correctly. 'Didn't like' = 'creeped me out'.
And thanks for the correction :)

Oh, that sounds more like it!  :)
You're welcome.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »

There's a total of 36 seasons currently but I'll do my best in breaking down the eras within that...

1963-1966, Seasons 1-4: 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)
Quirky, charming, but slightly irritable old man and his granddaughter have arrived on Earth in their TARDIS, a ship that can travel in time and space, disguised as a police box (unfortunately the TARDIS is a bit broken so it is stuck as a police box). His granddaughter's high school teachers (a science teacher, Barbara, and a history teacher, Ian) stumble upon the TARDIS, which he's not happy about, so he pretty much forces them on the adventure of a lifetime. There are quite a few stories set in the far future, distant planets, but also adventures in Earth's history which aren't actually very sci-fi at all. The emphasis is on the adventure rather than a strictly science fiction show. Different companions come and go through these four seasons. The final Hartnell story sees the introduction of the Cybermen, who are recurring villains in the next few years.....

I highly recommend the very very first episode as well as the 6 (or 7?) part serial 'The Daleks' from season 1.

1966-1969, seasons 4-6: 2nd Doctor (Patrick Troughton)
The Doctor's body has grown old, worn out from many years of adventures, so he regenerates his body, renews and re-orders his cells. This is one of my favourite periods in Doctor Who. His character is often described as a 'cosmic hobo' and I find him really brilliant and an absolute joy to watch. Extremely likeable and did inspire some of the later actors in the role. The success of his first episodes is probably the main reason why the show went for so long. Unfortunately many of these episodes are lost....but a few classic villains are introduced such as the Ice Warriors (an old Martian warrior race), the Macra (giant crab things), the Great Intelligence (some kind of sentience that can take over things and make them evil or something I can't really remember haha) as well as many Cybermen stories (humanoids who gradually upgraded themselves as cyborgs until there was none of their 'human' element left, no emotion, no organic matter). Also the Time Lords, the Doctor's own people, are revealed towards the very end of this run. Probably should also mention that UNIT (a secret Earth military organisation that protects us against extra terrestrial threats) is introduced as well as the long running character Brigadier (formerly Colonel) Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.

I recommend:
Tomb of the Cybermen
The Web of Fear
The War Games

1970-1974, seasons 7-11: 3rd Doctor (Jon Pertwee)
The show is now in COLOUR and the number of episodes has been reduced from 40something to about 26 per season. Also, the Doctor has been exiled to Earth for a couple of years by the Time Lords for breaking their rules of not to meddle too much with history. He ends up working for UNIT as chief scientific advisor and it's quite fun to watch him with all his gadgets and vehicles. This Doctor was a straightforward, no nonsense, action Doctor, who was still very fun and charming on screen as well. We see the introduction of the Autons and the Nestene (living plastic), the Silurians (ancient Earth intelligent species of reptilian humanoids) and the Master (another Time Lord, he is to the Doctor as Moriarty is the Sherlock Holmes essentially). Towards end of this era, the Doctor is able to travel around in time and space again, thankfully, because so many Earth invasion stories would get s little bit boring I'd say....

I haven't seen a whole lot of Jon Pertwee, but his very first story 'Spearhead from Space' is a brilliant place for anyone to start with Doctor Who.

Alright, I have to go for a little while, but I will be back for some more soon......

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2017, 04:57:33 PM »
Probably should have also mentioned that the Sontarans were introduced in i think season 11. Clone warriors, a bit thick.

1974-1981, seasons 12-18: 4th Doctor (Tom Baker).
Probably the most well known incarnation of the Doctor. He was eccentric, unpredictable, funny but also had a touch of melancholy and seriousness to his character. His personality hugely contrasted with anything remotely human, and he could be rather stubborn and difficult at times. His 7 seasons really had a bit of everything....I really love seasons 12 and 13, 13 in particular for its somewhat horror themes (probably not thay scary though) and it's probably one of the strongest seasons in the history of the entire show. Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith is terrific (character was a journalist, very inquisitive and certainly NOT THE damsel in distress type you get very early on in the show). A bit later on I also really enjoy seasons 16 and 17 with Romana I and Romana II. A bit more emphasis on the comedy element to the show at times, but too much to make it too silly....Douglas Adams did some great work. Introduced in these seasons are Davros (creator of the Daleks, a recurring character in later seasons of the classic series), the Zygons (shape shifting aliens who are trying to find a new planet to live on), the Black Guardian and K9 the robot dog who accompanies the Doctor on some of the later adventures. Some of the most common villains from earlier seasons, the Master, Daleks, Cybermen, don't have as much of an appearance during this time which focusses on a lot of new aliens and adventures and concepts, alternate universes etc.

There are so many good stories from these years it's difficult to go wrong here, you could literally pick anything and it's a guaranteed fun and/or scary watch. I'd still recommend:
Genesis of the Daleks
Pyramids of Mars
Terror of the Zygons
The Key to Time (all of season 16, which has an overarching storyline of finding segments of the broken Key to Time to restore order to the universe)
City of Death (I love this one soooo much)

1982-1984, seasons 19-21: 5th Doctor (Peter Davison)
A younger doctor, quite a straightforward kind of character with an admirable determination to solve the problems he is confronted with. He is extremely caring towards the people he travels with even sacrificing himself (then regenerating) to save someone he barely knew. The Mara is one creature that came appeared a couple of times in this period as well but I've only seen Kinda out of the ones it appeared in. Some interesting story arcs dealing with particular characters, like Turlough. I think it's from this period that the writers begin to develop some more story arc for the companions of the Doctor in a similar kind of way you might see in more recent seasons. Initially the TARDIS is probably the most crowded it has been with three companions from Earth and other planets, but the writers whittle this down to one by the end, which I do think was a good move.

I recommend:
Castrovalva
Earthshock
The Caves of Androzani

1984-1986, seasons 21-23: 6th Doctor (Colin Baker).
I guess he's closer to the bottom of many people's lists, but I actually really like the 6th Doctor. He had a very compelling presence on screen, although quite arrogant to begin with he softened quite a bit in the last season he was in. Darker and more violent than some previous seasons there are some brilliant stories including the amazing Vengeance on Varos which depicts a regime ruled with fear through reality television (before reality TV was actually a thing!) that features live torture and executions. And Sil, who is really fantastic. Season 22 is a change of format again, with thirteen 45 minute episodes divided into four 2 part stories and one 3 part story. Season 23 is again another change of format which features another series long story arc across fourteen 25 minute episodes (divided into three serialised stories and a two part finale). Season 23 gets very meta as the Doctor is put on trial by the Time Lords for meddling too much with time again. The Rani, another Time Lady (a bad one) is introduced in this period as well.

Curiously, a different season was planned instead of Trial of a Timelord which followed the same format as season 22 and had some interesting story ideas in it. :)

I recommend:
Vengeance on Varos
Trial of a Time Lord (season 23)

1987-1989, seasons 24-26: 7th Doctor (Sylvester McCoy).
From the beginning he certainly appears to be bumbling, clownish fool but over time this Doctor is revealed to be much more manipulative and cunning than his enemies realise. Seasonso 25 and 26 i think are especially good with the introduction of Ace as his companion and her story arc. There are some really brilliant stories from these final two seasons and I do wish there could have been just at least one more as the show was improving quite a lot before it was cancelled....

But I recommend:
Remembrance of the Daleks
The Happiness Patrol

Gotta go to class now so I'll post some more later......

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:46:22 PM by jessop »

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2017, 06:48:27 AM »
Eh I seem to have decided to do some kind of beginners guide to the show, I'll continue more tomorrow. Been a busy day.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2017, 06:51:19 AM »
Eh I seem to have decided to do some kind of beginners guide to the show, I'll continue more tomorrow. Been a busy day.

Good!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Steven Wilson (1967 -)
    Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Steve Hackett, Anathema, Rush, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Björk, David Sylvian, Peter Gabriel
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2017, 07:03:03 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Much appreciated. 8)
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
I'm old enough to identify William Hartnell as 'my' Dr Who (as with Sean Connery in James Bond). There was a great drama recently on TV called 'An Adventure in Time and Space' about the original Dr Who - it is very poignant. If you are a Dr Who fan you might enjoy it. It is on a BBC DVD.

Link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventure-Space-Time-DVD/dp/B00GJOXW1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1495744951&sr=1-1&keywords=adventures+in+time+and+space
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:44:51 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2017, 05:21:16 PM »
Quick guide to Doctor Who part 3

1996 and 2013 (specials): 8th Doctor (Paul McGann)
Ok this one is a personal favourite of mine even though his only two on screen adventures show him at the very beginning and very end of his timeline. In 1996 there was a plan to reboot the show and remake some well known classic doctor who episodes for a modern audience. Thankfully they didn't take that route because the 2005 reboot is really continuing the old show rather than restarting it. What actually happened in 1996 was a TV movie (co-production by BBC, Universal Studios and Fox) shot in Vancouver but set in San Francisco (everything seems to be shot in Vancouver) featuring Paul McGann's doctor as a passionate and charming adventurer going head to head with the Master, in another stolen body, who has a plan to steal the rest of the Doctor's regenerations. This TV movie has so many inconsistencies with the rest of the show that it's better just to ignore half the plot and go 'omggg how great is Paul McGann omggggg'.
     Between 1996 and 2005 when Doctor Who wasn't airing on television it was revealed in later episodes that the Last Great Time War took place in which the Daleks and the Time Lords fought for control over time and the universe or something like that idk. It's not really that important unless you're really invested in Dalek history and lore during the classic era. What IS important is that according to the Doctor's chronology, he was still in his 8th incarnation during is period of time, avoiding fighting in the war that was destroying most of the universe. We next see him in 2013 at the end of his timeline where he realises he must change who he is and put and end to the pointless Time War. He regenerates into his secret incarnation which isn't given a Doctor number but he's played by John Hurt and is quite good in the 50th anniversary special in 2013.
     Despite his limited screen time, the 8th Doctor featured in a great many audio adventures released in a Big Finish since 1999 and are still continuing today. I can't recommend these enough. Somehow he has the perfect voice for the Doctor for me, unmistakeable, determined and with a glowing enthusiasm and passion for adventure. They're on Spotify since quite recently!

If you really are interested in experiencing the best of this doctor then I would have to say there is no better place to start than on Spotify or the Big Finish website with Storm Warning. Followed by Sword of Orion, and then listen to The Stones of Venice because they're just brilliant. ;D The early 8th doctor release are out of print as CDs but you can download them from the Big Finish website for something like £2.99 each.

2005, series 1 (season 27): 9th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston)
Another favourite of mine, the 9th Doctor was the first of the new series of Doctor Who. The format for the show changed to thirteen 45 minute episodes, a few two part stories as well as a number of single episode adventures. Directly after ending the Time War he now believes he is the last Time Lord in existence, under the assumption that by blowing up Gallifrey he killed all the Daleks and Time Lords. We later find out that this isn't the case and they're trapped in another universe but this becomes an important plot point in 2013 and 2014. The 9th Doctor has his quirky charm and is wonderfully alien but also there is a sullen seriousness underneath the surface as he is still deeply troubled by the recent war. Introduced in this series are the Face of Boe (supposedly the oldest being in the universe) Captain Jack Harkness (a 51st century con man who becomes immune to dying), Cassandra O'Brien.delta17 (the last 'human') and the Slitheen (a family of Raxacoricofallapatorians who disguise themselves in human skins as they try to exploit the Earth's resources for their own financial gain).

I recommend:
Rose
The End of the World
Dalek
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

2005-2010, series 2-4 and some specials (seasons 28-30): 10th Doctor (David Tennant)
I know he's one of the most popular Doctors to play the role, but the majority of his appearances on the show tend to make me cringe. There are many many references to pop culture beginning from his very first episode in Christmas 2005 which to me seem out of place in a show that has absolutely no reason at all to need to dumb down to a modern audience to be liked by them. This Doctor is compassionate towards his foes and believes in their capacity to change for the better. He is enthusiastic for adventure in the same way the 8th Doctor was, but unlike him the 10th Doctor was very cocky and arrogant, often genuinely taken aback if someone apart from himself shows their competence. My favourite period of his timeline was actually from the second half of series 3 to the episodes just before the two part finale for series 4. In this period we see the introductions of the Weeping Angels (creatures who turn to stone whenever they are observed, but when you're not looking they attack) and River Song (a character who seems to constantly meet the Doctor in the wrong order).

I recommend:
Blink
Human Nature/The Family of Blood
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead

2010-2013, series 5-7 (seasons 31-33): 11th Doctor (Matt Smith)
The youngest actor on the show but probably a much more interesting character than the second youngest (Peter Davison as the 5th). Every now and then he would hilariously misunderstand human behaviour and social norms but he was also one of the most understanding of others out of all the incarnations of the Doctor. Incredibly zany and very physical acting from Matt Smith. This doctor would often make plans up as he went along, often leaving his companions Amy and Rory worried as to whether he knew what he was doing at all. This Doctor would basically just improvise his way through solving any situation he is confronted with. Throughout these three seasons there was an overarching theme of the Doctor's death or a limit to his regenerations, solved in his final episode when he was granted a new cycle. Introduced during this time were the Silence (a religious order that either wants the Doctor to be killed or wants to save him from restarting the Time War), Kate Stewart (the daughter of Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart and the new Brigadeir of UNIT) and the Paternoster Gang (a Silurian woman, a Human woman and a Sontaran who are pretty much working as consulting detectives in Victorian London). Series 7 featured no two part episodes.

I recommend:
The Eleventh Hour
Vincent and the Doctor
The God Complex
Hide
Cold War
Day of the Doctor

2014-2017, series 8-10 (seasons 34-36): 12th Doctor (Peter Capaldi)
A very very difficult character to begin with, often removing himself from becoming too attached to the people around him so he can focus on solving the problems at hand, he gradually become warmer and very caring of the people around him as time went on. This was a doctor who always had a clear direction forward, determined to help achieve the best outcome possible. Unfortunately his thrill seeking approach to adventure was passed on to his first companion Clara who pretty much forgot that she only has one shot at life, unlike him, and ended up being killed as a result. Currently he is getting his kicks from introducing the wonders of the universe to Bill Potts, a young woman who serves chips at a university where the Doctor actually gives lectures from time to time. The lectures are never on the proper topic btw. ;D Also, a new incarnation for the Master who has regenerated as a woman and calls herself Missy, constantly involving herself and wreaking havoc in the Doctor's adventures. Undoubtedly evil for the fun of being evil, she also has an insidiously friendly nature to her where she can trick the Doctor into being a bit too nice to her for his own good.

There are so so many fantastic stories with this current incarnation that I could just list them all, but so far I would most recommend:
Listen
Mummy on the Orient Express
Dark Water/Death in Heaven
The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion
Face the Raven/Heaven Sent/Hell Bent (vaguely a three part story)
Thin Ice
Oxygen

I suppose there'd be more posts like this to come in a few years time when we have more episodes to discuss
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:32:27 PM by jessop »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK